Scarab Race Boat pics >

Scarab Race Boat pics

Notices

Scarab Race Boat pics

Old 02-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 7xchamp
Clarification: Chris Smith was not Larry Smith`s son, Larry only has a daughter. Little known fact is that Charlie Strang, then President and CEO of O.M.C. along with Larry Smith asked if I would test run the boat and give an evaluation as to wheather the accident was driver error or the fault of the boat. I tested the boat in Stuart at the O.M.C. test base, I took Larry Smith and a friend of mine to drive, It was rough as hell, and we ran the snot out of the boat, tripped it in once and Larry hit his elbow, I think broke it, was in lot`s of pain, we finished the run, all OK I then raced the boat in open class in inaugural St Augustine race, rookie driver and navigator we got third in open class, same race Rockie A. disintegrated his Cat with Howard Quam. By finishing third the boat qualified to run the worlds in Key West with some Aussies who bought it and I believe took it to Australia. The boat was awsome fast for it`s time, estimated HP each I was told was over 450hp, power to weight made it quick, Best I saw was 92 mph at a time when the best scarabs were running 88 to 90. The boat accelerated really hard, was actually a fun boat, could have been tweaked and C.G.`d a little better. Shame about the two deaths, but they just ran it over there head and got bit.

My bad. We were notified in the pits at the Cape Coral Lee County regata by Jerry J. and that was what I was told at that time... keep in mind 1982..
Old 02-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a 39' Cigarette and Eddie Trotta was the original owner. (RAMPAGE) The boat that you are talking about is indeed a 38' Scarab that was (Villain). It was never owned by Eddie Trotta and currently resides in Puerto Rico which I happened to race against it going by the name of WINSTON back the early 90's

Jeff Marshall named the Scarab "Villain" and Eddie Trotta named it "Rampage" if my memory serve me correctly.

John[/QUOTE]
Old 03-14-2009, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 717 Likes on 336 Posts
Default 1978 Team Scarab 9 Meter "Pure Insanity" P-38 (II).

I found Jeff Brown's ( of Hawthorne, CA) 1976 Team Scarab 9 Meter "Pure Insanity" P-38 (I) last year. She was the overall Production race winner at the 1978 Bushmill G.P. in Newport Beach, CA and became Western region Production Class Champion. During the 1979 season Jeff Brown made a new Kevlar 49 built 9 Meter "Pure Insanity" P-38 (II) and after racing the two boats managed to become The Overall Production Class Champion of 1979 . Here's a couple of shots of (II) in action. Pure Insanity (II) was in the mid 80's owned by a Glenn & Roberta Gill of Montclair, CA and raced in the Production Class. Does anybody know of her whereabouts today?
P.S. My "Pure Insanity" (I) was later raced in the early and mid 1980's with great success by Don Noble ( of Costa Mesa, CA), then only with hull saying P-38 and was then set up with Kaama drives. Was among other things 1984 MBRA World Record Holder Pro IIIA. D.S.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Race Boat pics-bacardi%25201979-pure-insanity-scarab-9-meter.jpg   Scarab Race Boat pics-bennihanna1-pure-insanity-p38-ii-kevlar.jpg  
Old 03-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 717 Likes on 336 Posts
Default 1975 Team Scarab 9 Meter that was never raced.

According to Larry Smith this is the 4Th or 5Th Scarab ever made. She's owned by my good friend Steve Scahill, CA. She was originally ordered by Gene Hanson, San Francisco and was never raced. Following year my friend Steve bought her and put in an interior for recreational use. Gene Hanson ordered his second Team Scarab 9 Meter, however the first Scarab ever set up as an open boat for offshore fishing. Little did Gene know what would follow as far as Wellcraft production a few years later. Here's the little beauty.
Attached Thumbnails Scarab Race Boat pics-dscf2281-6-.jpg   Scarab Race Boat pics-dscf2291-9-meter.jpg   Scarab Race Boat pics-dscf2323-9-meter-2.jpg  

Scarab Race Boat pics-dscf2354-9.jpg  
Old 06-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have any pics of the old "Patriot Wave" B class 31 Scarab ?
A friend of mine owns that boat now. It's been changed from the old staggered configuration. He had some 715hp motors in it for a while. It now has a couple of real mild 540hp motors in it. I think it's running low to mid 80's.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ocean Spray

Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 AM
Registered

Default 26 larry smith factory one

http://www.nwspeedshots.com/lc/2009/...ego/index.html
Old 02-28-2010, 08:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by olli
What a violent picture, what the hell happend to make that scarab do that?
Old 03-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Registered

The shot of Ocean Spray was taken in Sarasota, Bruce and Dennis were running very hard as usual and another boat came into the turn from the wrong direction, they had to hook the boat to avoid the crash, hooked, spun and ended up landing on the turn boat. They took 1/2 the side out but because of the safty capsule the boat did not sink!, a new side was put in the boat and it continued on its winning ways!
Hey 26 Scarab, the 31 was first raced as Team Scarab (based in Sarasota), I bought it and re rigged it with side by side and ran B class, winning the Pacific series as Archer Marine in 1995 or 1996, I then sold it to ? and they called it Patriot Wave. Craig
Old 03-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Lee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Craig,
There is a pic of it as it looks today at the top of this link.
http://www.millennyummarine.com/website/

Whatever happened to your old all red 26' Archer Marine Special?

Quick Reply: Scarab Race Boat pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.