IMCO vs Teague Drives

Notices

IMCO vs Teague Drives

Old 08-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IMCO vs Teague Drives

Interested in some candid real world feedback.

My boat came with IMCO SC Extreme Drives. I haven't been very pleased with them. Even changing the drive oil every 20 hrs, I've still had issues.

I have the opportunity to now upgrade to Teagues - obviously, my preference would be to go with sixes, but I'd have to do a bunch of rework and $$$ to accommodate that.

Here's what I find interesting. IMCO rates those SC Extreme drives for 600hp, while Teague rates them for 900hp.

Are the internals any different on the Teague drives?

Does Teague use just the IMCO cases and their own internals, or are they using the same components as IMCO and just using their own assembly processes?

Trying to get to the bottom of this...

Thanks in adavance.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

Dont know the answer, but VERY intresting question !
Old 08-21-2008, 10:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
Interested in some candid real world feedback.

My boat came with IMCO SC Extreme Drives. I haven't been very pleased with them. Even changing the drive oil every 20 hrs, I've still had issues.

I have the opportunity to now upgrade to Teagues - obviously, my preference would be to go with sixes, but I'd have to do a bunch of rework and $$$ to accommodate that.

Here's what I find interesting. IMCO rates those SC Extreme drives for 600hp, while Teague rates them for 900hp.

Are the internals any different on the Teague drives?

Does Teague use just the IMCO cases and their own internals, or are they using the same components as IMCO and just using their own assembly processes?

Trying to get to the bottom of this...

Thanks in adavance.
Hey BIG Daddy Do the TEAGUES and you'll be happy ..we tried the SC and was broke every weekend .. with the Teagues we ran 138 mph well over 1000 hp a side and never could break them ... good luck
Attached Thumbnails IMCO vs Teague Drives-all-pix-10-17-06-003.jpg   IMCO vs Teague Drives-all-pix-10-17-06-014.jpg   IMCO vs Teague Drives-all-pix-10-17-06-002.jpg  

Old 08-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Yep. Teague units ALL the way.

Sam
Old 08-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Hey BIG Daddy Do the TEAGUES and you'll be happy ..we tried the SC and was broke every weekend .. with the Teagues we ran 138 mph well over 1000 hp a side and never could break them ... good luck
You just made my day. I was beginning to get depressed - couldn't get used to being in the shop every 2nd or 3rd poker run...

I've put 115 hrs on the boat and had 3 drive issues.

Looking forward to seeing how these Teagues work.

I called Teague and talked to them. There are some differences - but the components are very similar - the true difference sounded to be the assembley process - apparently Teague takes the parts and works all the imperfections out of the parts before assembly.

I'm supposed to get them next week some time.

I'll post how they perform.

Out of curiousity - you didn't notice any speed degradations when you moved from IMCO to Teague, did you?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrenaline Junkie
You just made my day. I was beginning to get depressed - couldn't get used to being in the shop every 2nd or 3rd poker run...

I've put 115 hrs on the boat and had 3 drive issues.

Looking forward to seeing how these Teagues work.

I called Teague and talked to them. There are some differences - but the components are very similar - the true difference sounded to be the assembley process - apparently Teague takes the parts and works all the imperfections out of the parts before assembly.

I'm supposed to get them next week some time.

I'll post how they perform.

Out of curiousity - you didn't notice any speed degradations when you moved from IMCO to Teague, did you?
Hey BIG Daddy never noticed any speed degredations with the SCs we never stayed together over 128 mph , At the shootout brand new SCs and 1st pass lost a drive at 125 , the Teagues were 138 all day long ...Talk to Bob he knows his Chit Does your boat porpouise like oh so many of those elim ???? the drives wont like that good luck

Last edited by RunninHotRacing163.1; 08-21-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 853 Likes on 398 Posts

Other than MAYBE better assembly there is NOTHING stronger in a teague drive then a imco,GPM bought one and it lasted 7 hours. A teague drive uses a stock xr upper with STOCK TOWER with some small upgrades and better shafts in the lower,THATS ALL. If you insist on running a bravo a billet max worx will outlast them both,bigger,stronger tower,billet shafts every where including the small shaft in the upper,billet input seal retainer on the upper and double lower vert shaft bearings. Supposedly there is less case flex because both the upper and lower cases are built from billet pieces. If your going to do any kind of realupgrade I would buy the new imco scx,its more money but you will get away from the stock failure prone merc gears,both imco and teague are using STOCK merc gears in the upper and lower,Smitty
Old 08-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=articfriends If your going to do any kind of realupgrade I would buy the new imco scx,its more money but you will get away from the stock failure prone merc gears,both imco and teague are using STOCK merc gears in the upper and lower,Smitty[/QUOTE]

The SCX does seem like the answer to bravo problems, anyone have any SCX owners input on the drives ?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
Hey BIG Daddy never noticed any speed degredations with the SCs we never stayed together over 128 mph , At the shootout brand new SCs and 1st pass lost a drive at 125 , the Teagues were 138 all day long ...Talk to Bob he knows his Chit Does your boat porpouise like oh so many of those elim ???? the drives wont like that good luck
Good news on the performance.

re: porpoise - when I test drove the boat I did experience a porpoise between 90 and 100mph as the boat would begin to air out. I'd feel it break free around 75mph and really begin to accelerate and then when we hit low 90's there would be a slight porpoise and then once we aired out at 100mph - it would disappear.

I have since learned how to trim and tab slightly so there is no porpoise at all.

I really do like the way this hull runs - had a 28 Elim before that I loved -but the 36 is way more comfortable ride in the lake snot or Poker Run start washing machine - no surprise there.

If I could just get a dependable drive - I'd really be happy.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Junkie,
As Artic said.. only diff in parts is Teague shafts. The gears will fail eventually with big power. They both use the merc gears and no matter what you do to them, they have their limits. And they wear out.
The new Imco SCX has larger gears made out of better material. Imco has spent a stack of money getting this right the first time. It has been all summer now since they started sending them out and everytime I order parts from Imco I quiz them on sucess stories.. So far no gear or bearing failures!! Some where around 50 units out in the field. Dont know specifics on how many have been used and abused, but so far it sounds very promising.. I am rethinking the strategy of building any XR for big power.. when I can sell an SCX and be done with it.. Lots of XR upper gears are breaking teeth for no good reason. Years ago they would hold up, now they fail regularly in early hours of use. Best way to replace XR gears is use SCX gears, they come already in a new stronger case, and both upper and lower are larger. Not like Bmax with lower gear problems.. just my .02

Dick

Quick Reply: IMCO vs Teague Drives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.