Crashed Patriot >

Crashed Patriot

Notices

Crashed Patriot

Old 06-22-2016, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 14 apache
I almost clipped one 15yrs ago lack of attention on my half. Would of bin bad but was only doing 15mph.
+1. I was looking at my GPS to set my course and almost clipped one. I was doing about 15 as well.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:30 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,177 Likes on 1,433 Posts

Hit a buoy sideways with my car. Put it up on it's side for few. Ripped a good gash thru both doors on passeneger side and left a huge red stripe down the side. Fellow workers that Monday morning couldn't understand how I hit a buoy in my car. It was February. Duh !

Thank god ours aren't like the one's in the picture. Our our mostly thick 4 sided wooden poles.

Last edited by SB; 06-22-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What if mechanical failure caused the accident?
What if he was avoiding another boat or something else in the water?

I don't think we can call it self inflicted, given the lack of details that exist here or on on FB; at this point.
I can absolutely call it self inflicted. If he avoided another boat and wrecked into a buoy he was going to fast for the conditions. A good captain always has his vessel ready to safely maneuver to avoid collision or allision. The coast guard tends to agree with me. Basically if you are not moored there usually something you could have done to prevent it from happening. What mechanical failure causes you to hit a buoy? I will
Never ride with you.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:53 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MullenTJ86
It is a charted lit buoy, you can tell by looking at it, but was the light out, was really my question. Either way, it's harsh to jump to the conclusion that it was operator error without knowing the story. If he was running 70kts in the dark, sure that's reckless, but if he hit this buoy at 20kts and it wasn't lit, that's a different story or if he maneuvered to avoid something and hit an unlit buoy... If it were me, I wouldn't play judge, jury and executioner off some photos and a story in the New London Day.
I never debated if it's charted. I hold a 1600ton masters license. The light can be extinguished and many are. The local notice to Mariners published weekly would tell you that. Based on the dance to the vessel he didn't hit it at idle speed. That means he was going to fast. If he was plane at night without radar he's going to fast. I do that too and if I hit something lot or not it's purely my fault.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:10 PM
SB
Registered

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I can absolutely call it self inflicted. If he avoided another boat and wrecked into a buoy he was going to fast for the conditions. A good captain always has his vessel ready to safely maneuver to avoid collision or allision. The coast guard tends to agree with me. Basically if you are not moored there usually something you could have done to prevent it from happening. What mechanical failure causes you to hit a buoy? I will
Never ride with you.
I've been lucky where as I was almost hit by a boat with it's lights off while we where rafted, and I almost hit one (it had ni lights on and was travelling at us) at speed, in which I had to swerve to wrong side of buoy. Could have hit it easily. Just missed it.

Call those my fault and I'll hit you with a buoy. LOL.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:29 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One night , in that same spot, on the other side of the channel , the side you are supposed to be on when returning, ( hitting the green buoy means you are on the wrong side of the channel when returning, just sayin ), my gps said I was well clear of the buoy when in reality I passed by it at 50mph , it was about 15' off my starboard side. Point is , buoy's get moved when they are repaired or for whatever reason the coast guard deems necessary. If your gps map isn't current ( as was the case for me that night) you could be in for a big surprise . I try to be on the lift by dark now, washing her down and having a beer, since that night.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:01 PM
Registered

Relying solely on the plotter is not a very smart thing to do. I'll plotter only shows you where things are supposed to be. It is an aid to navigation nothing more. Radar shows you where things actually are and that is what makes it far superior to a plotter for Night running. Not to mention at night you should also run slower speeds. If it is pitch black you should not be on plane.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:07 PM
SB
Registered

If it is pitch black you should not be on plane.
I don't agree at all, but this solely depends on your knowledge of the area, the area itself and etc.Definately something it takes years of practice/knowledge, etc.

Fog, heavy dew - where you can't see any other vessel lights or etc, I totally agree. Suks when this sneaks up on you. Any chance of this and I stay in.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I don't agree at all, but this solely depends on your knowledge of the area, the area itself and etc.Definately something it takes years of practice/knowledge, etc.

Fog, heavy dew - where you can't see any other vessel lights or etc, I totally agree. Suks when this sneaks up on you. Any chance of this and I stay in.
If it's pitch black no moon light or backlights and you're in plane you are an idiot. Asking for trouble. Even with a plotter. A plotter only shows what is supposed to be not what is actual.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never debated if it's charted. I hold a 1600ton masters license. The light can be extinguished and many are. The local notice to Mariners published weekly would tell you that. Based on the dance to the vessel he didn't hit it at idle speed. That means he was going to fast. If he was plane at night without radar he's going to fast. I do that too and if I hit something lot or not it's purely my fault.
I'm not questioning your navigational intelligence, I'm questioning whether a buoy had a functioning light or not. On a dark night, 5kts or 70kts, unless you have radar, you're not seeing an unlit buoy. Yes, he hit the buoy...probably over 20kts, and no matter the reason, he'll most likely be held accountable for it. I'm just curious how it happened, like most other ppl on here and I'm not pointing the finger at the guy because god forbid, it could happen to most anyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.