Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ? >

Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?

Notices

Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?

Old 10-11-2014, 10:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 264 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?

I have always wondered why racers pick whatever number that is painted on there hull. For example Reggie Fountain was always #76 even dating back to his tunnel boat years, Billy Martin of NJ was always #51 as was Bill Gazelle was #4 unless he had the P-1 because he was the champ, Bob Nordskog was #75 on his Fountain, but #11 on some of his other boats, I think Nordskog turned 75 years old when Reggie built the Fountain, hence the #75, but for the most part, I would love to hear from today's racers as to why you picked the number you have....ect.

Brian Williamson of Perdition why the #11 ?
John Saris why the #41 ?
Randy Schluess why the #29 (coincidentally that is my birthdate)?

I just name those racers as a start, feel free to chime, in what superstitious, or luck driven reason behind choosing your boat's race number?
Attached Thumbnails Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-bob_nordskog_11.jpg   Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-nordskog2.jpg   Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-reggie76.jpg  

Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-reggie.jpg   Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-saris.jpg   Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-bwd.jpg  

Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-typhoon.jpg  
Attached Images    
Old 10-12-2014, 12:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

#51 The Bounty Hunter..I mentioned it earlier, need to show you what I am talking about
Attached Thumbnails Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-bounty-hunter.jpg   Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-bounty-hunter-today.jpg  
Attached Images    

Last edited by Smarty; 10-12-2014 at 01:00 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

We used #38 for the 38' boat and #46 for the 46' boat, my first was #24 again because it was 24' - I never said I was smart, logical but not smart LOL
Old 10-12-2014, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

45 Byrider boat. ---April (4th month) 5. 2005. Daughters birthday. Cool posts guys
Old 10-12-2014, 08:11 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

See I like the two posts thus far, people pick numbers for reasons, keep the responses coming, good stuff. If I were to ever have a race boat, it would be number 10 or 16 those were the numbers I wore playing football. There is my reason which has not ripened yet...
Old 10-12-2014, 09:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Are we sure we want to know why Team Apache chose 69?
Old 10-12-2014, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Race numbers

[ATTACH=CONFIG]530893[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]530894[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]530895[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]530896[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]530897[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]530898[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]530899[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]530900[/ATTACH]P-4 was the lowest # APBA had at the time so we used that

P-1 was given to the last years champion in the production class in APBA

US-1 was given to the boat that had the most points in all 3 classes at the end of the season
Production---Modified--- Sports in APBA competition

P5-1 on my boat is a Superboat high point champion in the P 5 class
Attached Thumbnails Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-cigarettegreatadventuresmall.jpg   Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-scan10235.jpg   Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-greatadventure13.jpg  

Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-greatadventureus1-2.jpg   Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-viper.jpg   Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-sutphen-viper2.jpg  

Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-img_5120.jpg   Offshore Race Boats, why that race number ?-758_sutphen4.jpg  
Old 10-12-2014, 11:45 AM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it was as simple as when the boat was at Will's shop, Phantom 9 was there, then The Jeff's Phantom 10 then 11. No other reason other than consecutive order. Sorry its boring. :-)
Old 10-12-2014, 01:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bwd
I think it was as simple as when the boat was at Will's shop, Phantom 9 was there, then The Jeff's Phantom 10 then 11. No other reason other than consecutive order. Sorry its boring. :-)
See Brian, that is just it, it is NOT boring, there is a story behind how you chose the number, I would have never ever guessed-imagined that, that is exactly how I thought some of the numbers were came up, random chance-situational solutions to need to come up with a number. I am glad you responded.

PS My mother moved to Florida, two weeks ago, she asks about you and how you are doing, how many races you have won, how is Robert working out as throtttleman, ect...one vistit to Jersey and you became instant family.....now get out there get around that yellow #41.....no offense John Saris, but you aren't in a Phantom....

Post some pictures of your hot-rod, pictures tell the story, not the time to be humble, be proud, show us what you got...
Old 10-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

My first number was 24 for one year then when we raced APBA someone had that number so we needed to pick a new one. It was easier to keep the 2 and take the next available number no one was using LOL. I have had 29 now for 15 years in SVL, Class 5 and F1. I'm kind of stuck on that number now LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.