Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
D.U.I./Delco E.S.T.  ignitions/distributors (Yea anouther question!) >

D.U.I./Delco E.S.T. ignitions/distributors (Yea anouther question!)

Notices

D.U.I./Delco E.S.T. ignitions/distributors (Yea anouther question!)

Old 02-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D.U.I./Delco E.S.T. ignitions/distributors (Yeah anouther question!)

Okay guys sorry with all these distributor/ignition questions I am wondering if anyone has experence with the Delco system or the D.U.I. Systems? The D.U.I. system sounds perfect with an adustable mech advance curve and the use of easy to get off-the-shelf automotive parts for repairs. I did some research and several magazines have used them with great results. The cost is about where the Tbolt module and the Crane module is at. The Crane does have a rev-limiter but I already have an MSD stand alone marine rev-limiter. The Delco is also interesting...I haven't heard much on this one. I know BAM sells them and Denniss Moore speaks highly on them with a nice curve (non-adjustable though) built in. I think he states that everything pretty well switches with the automotive stuff too.....I talked to Marc at BAM and he said that he has used the Delco setup and it was the best thing he everdid on HIS wellcraft cruiser...... WHAT TO DO Anybody used these? I think the price on the Delco complete system is also comparable to the D.U.I. system. The D.U.I. though has the trick polished distributor and the H.E.I. system. Is this an improvement over the stock Mercruiser setup????By the way here is a link for the D.U.I. setup.....http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm
Thanks again for the help and patience

Last edited by BAD-HABIT; 02-12-2003 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:35 PM
Dennis Moore

Default DUI

I didn't realize that they made that distributor for a marine application. It should be awsome! I will have to get them to send me a distributor for a magazine article. I would have to say that it would be the ultimate marine ignition system for guys like us! Thanks for pointing that out!
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

Old 02-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Registered

Well Denniss I guess that means go with the D.U.I right! I was hoping you would chime in...What would you see as the advantages to the D.U.I. system? Thanks for your reply. Love your posts,articles and books.

Bad-Habit
Attached Thumbnails D.U.I./Delco E.S.T.  ignitions/distributors (Yea anouther question!)-formula.jpg  
Old 02-09-2003, 11:12 PM
Dennis Moore

Default LOTS!

The large diameter distributor cap and the absence of a coil wire. The variable dwell feature of the induction style HEI module. An E-core coil and the excellent mechanical advance unit.
Between idle and 5500 rpm this should be the best ignition for a marine engine. The GM engineers really got the HEI right when they designed it and DUI has improved it even more.
Sincerely
Dennis Moore

Old 02-10-2003, 08:29 AM
Registered

Yeah, what Dennis said!
I've got a pair of Marine DUIs and love them. I actually prefer the mechanical advance. Changing out a pair of springs to tune the curve is a lot cheaper than a new T bolt module.
Gary
Old 02-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Registered

Looks like you've been doing your homework Heck now you got me rethinking my system.Thanks alot

Last edited by FloridianSon; 02-10-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:10 PM
blown1500

Like the DUI a lot. Had problems selling them because "they're ugly" They have been near perfect on GM and Ford projects I have done. I also like the Electromotive multi coil system.
Never seen the Delco, but I will!!!

Old 02-11-2003, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the DUI marine distributor ignition system and it has worked out great!
Old 02-11-2003, 01:48 PM
Registered

I've got a DUI HEI on my boat and it has solved all of my mysterious timing/timing curve issues. Very simple to set up, very simple to recurve, very reliable. With the correct curve you can set the timing and forget it. I highly recommend their product.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:41 PM
Registered

D.U.I. said they would "Taylor fit" a custom curve just for my application....How close can they come with this? They want my motor specs (cam,heads,compression ratio etc..) Along with the weight of my boat. Also my driving habits...Did you guys have good luck with their curves they built for you? I just wonder how much of those standard questions for the set-up transfer over from automotive use to marine
Thanks

Quick Reply: D.U.I./Delco E.S.T. ignitions/distributors (Yea anouther question!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.