Notices

OT/sorta... Truck Tires ?

Old 10-02-2002, 02:35 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts
Default OT/sorta... Truck Tires ?

Is anyone running and/or especially towing with Nitto Tires/Terra Grappler?? They are a sweet looking tire, and they advertise they are beefy in their D & E load ratings, "ideal for 3/4 and 1 ton rigs."

I currrently have the factory tires on my 3/4 ton Avalanche, but I am about to step up to a 17" rim, and go to some different tires. I know the BFG All Terrain KO is a proven tire, but I also like different. Can anyone vouch for Nitto Tires? If so, what size do you have experience with? What load rating? What truck? What are you towing? Anything else you can input is SUPER appreciated!!!
Old 10-02-2002, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 2,831 Likes on 951 Posts

Are those the tires that are directional kind've look like an arrow?? They are really low profile?? The 36 Baja Outlaw tour boat has these tires on the tripple axle trailer. mounted on like 18" Boyds I believe. They look sweeeeeeet!! They don't seem to have any problem using them as trailer tires I don't see why you'd have problems with them on your avalanche.

Tank
Old 10-02-2002, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Syd,

These guys know trucks and tires like we know boats and engines, try the message forum.

http://www.coloradok5.com/

Tim T.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thanks Tank. I am concerned about the sidewall strength. Last year, on my Tahoe; I went to an industrial grade Goodyear, WORKHORSE EXTRA GRIP), for 1 day, and then I took them back. I thought they looked better than BFGs, and the descriptions and load rating remarks led me to believe they were very stiff, and would handle well. I did not even try towing with them. THEY WERE HORRIBLE. The Tahoe felt dangerous with them on, much less towing with them. As soon as I forked over the cash for the BFGs, I knew I should not have strayed, and I should have listened to my buddy CheckmateF1 all along.

Well, I am offering myself up for another shot. The Nitto Tires ads grab a lot of attention, but I do not see many on the road. (See Truckin' magazine.) Their website needs A LOT of updating, which also leads me to believe they may not be up to par. I want some hard core proof or testimonials that these are better or at least as good as BFGs before I bite.

Thanks.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-03-2002 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:11 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I am having the same dilema, I have a Silverado HD it had Firestones on it, I put Goodyear wrangler RT/S on it thinking it was a good tire, and it is borderline dangerous. I never liked Firestone, but I am thinking of going back.

Let me know what you come up with. Or anyone for that matter who has switched tires successfully. Oh by the way, I put Yokohamas on it first and those were terrible to, so I then went to Goodyear, and want to switch again. Please help as this has all been in the last 3,000 miles and is getting expensive !!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2002, 03:15 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Obnoxus.
I know I am eating my own dogfood here, but the BFG All Terrain KO will offer you no disappointment at all. I have 100% confidence in them. It is a phenominal tire. You pay a premium price for it though. In all likelyhood, I will end up with BFG A/T KOs. I am just willing to get some input on the Nittos since I have a little time before purchasing. I want something different, damnet!!
Old 10-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

29 SCARAB, Dual axle trailer
2001 Yukon XL 1/2 ton
10x22" ANTERA rims
Shod with Nitto 305/45-22 Extreme Force

No problems, great handling tire, and quiet

If I had a choice between the Nitto's over the BFG's, I would stay with the Nitto's

My experience with BFG's, have been that they tend to wear sooner than most other brands...no bashing, just been my personal experience

Go with Nitto's, I am sure you won't be dissapointed, my other truck tire choice would be the Pirelli Scorpion Zero, I've had a set on a Mercedes ML, size 295/40-20 for over 30,000 miles, they are a little more costly, but worth it.
Old 10-02-2002, 03:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

btw:

http://www.nittotire.com/tire_ntterr...r_overview.asp
Attached Thumbnails OT/sorta...   Truck Tires ?-terra1.jpg  
Old 10-02-2002, 03:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

pic 2
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2002, 03:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Thanks BB. I appreciate the input. Unfortunately you are running low profile tires, with sidewalls built for speed, and therefore they are comparably quite strong. I am going with All Terrain Off-Road tires, with a tall profile, and I need to verify the sidewalls on these bad boys are built like BFGs.

Quick Reply: OT/sorta... Truck Tires ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.