Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Cigarette
Cafe' vs Gun >

Cafe' vs Gun

Notices

Cafe' vs Gun

Old 06-09-2005, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cafe' vs Gun

Ok... all you guys out there that have done them both. What are the pro's and con's? I'm lookin for an early 90's boat. Originally wanted a Cafe' but there seems to be a lot more Guns out there. I'm doin the great lakes which is probably more boat that these lakes need but why would I want one over the other? The Cafe' seems to have a little more head room. Will the Guns handle that much better? What would you do?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:16 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cafe' vs Gun

If you want a Cafe':
There is an AWSOME Cafe' for sale in the classifieds by Craig223. The boat is about as good as it gets!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 06-09-2005, 07:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 346 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by BillR
If you want a Cafe':
There is an AWSOME Cafe' for sale in the classifieds by Craig223. The boat is about as good as it gets!
Thanks for the plug Bill, but mine is a Bullet!
Attached Thumbnails Cafe' vs Gun-bullet.airtimelpr604resize.jpg  
Old 06-09-2005, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chewy1955
I'm doin the great lakes which is probably more boat that these lakes need
You might be suprised. I think it is a great size for the Great Lakes. You can be out enjoying the day thinking it's no big deal while others are getting their ass kicked.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

why early nineties? you can go mid late nineties on a gun for a good price and be happier and pay less monthly if your financing...i.e. you can go 15yr vs 10 yr. AND may get a cheaper rate for over 100k... so in the end you spend less for more boat
Old 06-09-2005, 09:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know which lake you're on but moving from a Gun to an Apache allowed me to go out on some days on Erie I'd have otherwise passed on. Big step from the 35 to the 38. Plus, you can get equivalent 38's for not a bunch more and they hold their value better. Downsides- if you rack store, not everyone can take a 38; same power between the 35 & 38 equals a 5 to 7 mph loss- maybe more, depending on the year- older Guns are somewhat heavier than the new ones. If you tow, you're probably going to need a bigger truck- an F250 ain't gonna' cut it for anything other than around the neighborhood.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

The longer the boat the better it will span the waves, it is unbelievable the difference in ride from my last 36 APACHE to my 41 APACHE, buy the 38 you won't be sorry. You can't have to big of boat on the great lakes, we did a trip[ a couple of years ago and one of the boats with us was a 50 NorTech vee bottom and she stuffed, I also have a customer with a 50 Hustler that stuffed going to Chicago, the lake can turn on you real fast, we left Grand Haven in glass seas,the wind picked up and we where in 10' sea by the time I got to the middle of the lake. If I was buying a 38 FAT BOY in ohio would be at the top of my list. Steve
Old 06-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vandy021
I would try and find a newer stepped Cigarette. We used to run Powerquests and we found on rough days we were sitting on the docs. We moved up at a 42x and we could go 95+ in 5-8 footers. We liked it so much we moved to a 46. Like Chris said in #6, the more boat you have the easier it is on the lake. I agree with how that lake can turn. We are up in Northern Michigan and that lake can turn on you quick. It may be an inland lake, but the Great Lakes can be worse than the ocean. The waves are tall and short. No big rollers and you can put the nose under quickly. The ocean is a bit more forgiving with rollers. I would look for a newer Top Gun with steps. You won't regret it!!!!

Till next time

Craig

better yet get a lightly used 50 outerlimits

i think by looking at cafes and older guns he has a budget in mind and t/s is way beyond that budget... wether he has the means or not
Old 06-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-1176.html
Old 06-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not consider 38' more boat than the Great Lakes need rather I would think that is the perfect size for the Lakes. I have been through from 16' to 38' and will never own anything less than that. When the lake kicks up and it seemed to every weekend last year you won't be sorry.

Russ

Quick Reply: Cafe' vs Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.