AT Fuel Tank Question >

AT Fuel Tank Question

Notices

AT Fuel Tank Question

Old 11-03-2006, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AT Fuel Tank Question

This summer I bought my '97 32 AT and have had some issues with water in my fuel. We checked fuel filters frequently to monitor. I'm building new engines for the boat and will be pumping out the tanks before firing it up in the spring. Never had engine issues, but I was watching the fuel filters like a hawk.

I have a few questions:

1. Are these typical aluminum tanks? Or is there more to them than I can see looking from the valves under the backseat?

2. How can a lot of water get in to the tanks? The previous owner kept it in Florida (Ft. Lauderdale). He said it was stored inside - (not a hurricane boat).

One of the gas caps had a slight crack in it (they are plastic and have the internal flip-up handle. Some water could get in through there if enough rain falls. But this doesn't seem to be enough to continually dump my filters. I replaced the cap as soon as I started using it.

This boat was redone by Active Thunder in 2005 (paint and upholstery) - if it helps for background.

Any opinions, experience, or ideas on this? thanks!
Old 11-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Registered

Default Re: AT Fuel Tank Question

Also, I had about the same amount of water in both tanks. Only one tank appeared to have a crack in the gas cap.

When I mention crack, it was a hairline, couldn't see it unless you put pressure on it.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 550 Posts

Check the hoses and vent lines. Water can and does run down the step rail by design, and will run under the fills and vents, and can potentially get into the associated hose attached to the hardware. Have someone pour water over it while you are in the gunwale watching.

This can also happen with the cleats. It has to do with the fact that the geometry of grip pattern allows some voids to form between the deck hardware and the deck/grip pattern over time as the silicone sealer dries and shrinks. Its just a fact of aging silicone.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-03-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe hat boat was redone at the factory a year or two ago. You might want to call Pat and ask him...
Old 11-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input. I checked the silicone seals on the step rails - water doesn't get in. The boat was completely repainted and upholstered by AT in 2005 - my guess is that the silicone was redone then too.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:22 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,259 Likes on 550 Posts

Not sure about the floor config on your 32, but my 37 has access panels to the tops of the fuel tanks where the pickups and senders are located. This is under the rear bench seat. Perhaps you have water run-off from the cockpit/rain-drain flowing down the floor and entering the tanks this way. Just reaching on this idea.

It can happen that with full tanks, fuel can seep out at this location when splashing. This would be feasible that water could enter the same way.

I can't imagine you have compromised tanks. You would have fuel seepage in the bilge, and the smell would be overwhelming. You have not spoken of such.

Perhaps a bad fuel source?????
Old 11-07-2006, 02:12 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

My bet is on a bad fuel source or condensation.

How long did the boat sit before the water in fuel problem happened???
I had to dump my sep filter 4 times after a winter layup because of condensation that developed. I just can't see that much water seeping into the tank. It can only get in in 3 places. The vent, the fill cap and where the sending units and pick ups are.
If you've got equal amounts of water in each tank, then I would bet on bad fuel or condensation.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Registered

Know this sounds stupid...But I practically stole a boat because the guy couldn't figure out why he kept getting so much water in the fuel... Vent on the side of hull was turned around backwards and catching spray.

With the new fuels being sold today, it is very difficult to get water to displace. Fuel retailers are adding Oxygenates which are alcohols and ethers which boost octane quality, but cause major problems with tanks that have water contamination. GOOD LUCK
Old 11-21-2006, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE
You guys will know this much better then I do, however I just read in Hot Boat that fiberglass gas tanks are having issues with the new gas out there. Apparently ethanol additive can corrode the fiberglass and causes condensation of water in the tank. This probably wouldn't account for that amount of water but it brings up the question, do AT's have fiberglass tanks? If they no longer have them, did they years ago?
Aluminum tanks. And fiberglass tanks would not cause a water problem. The ethanol in the fuel causes problems with the resins in the glass tanks.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE
You guys will know this much better then I do, however I just read in Hot Boat that fiberglass gas tanks are having issues with the new gas out there. Apparently ethanol additive can corrode the fiberglass and causes condensation of water in the tank. This probably wouldn't account for that amount of water but it brings up the question, do AT's have fiberglass tanks? If they no longer have them, did they years ago?
NO!

Quick Reply: AT Fuel Tank Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.