Notices

What's the differance?

Old 04-08-2007, 11:39 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by slboatdrinks
AT does not have a stepped 28 hull.

The DDC step that AT and Challenger incorporate into their hull design is patented by Harry Schoell. AT and Challenger design their own hulls.
My Bad....I thought I read it somewhere......oughta slow down on the Captain and Cokes huh ?

NOT!!!
Old 04-08-2007, 11:56 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by OffshoreTom
I am looking at Sunsation or Sea Ray 29ss for the time being.
Do you consider the 28 Active Thunder and the 29 Sea Ray to be competitive offerings?

Originally Posted by CAP071
I owned a 28 sunsation and loved it. I just feel the new 28's are over priced now for both AT and Sunsation
Sunsation has The best Factory support and a growing market with new dealers popping up.
The 28 Active Thunder comes with more standard/upgraded features than the 28 Sunsation, and its a bigger boat. Hence, the price difference. Same thing goes for the 32SS vs. the 33AT.

AT is going to remain factory direct for the most part, for the time being. It leaves out the middle man (dealer & markup), and gives you direct access to the factory. There are a couple of factory reps like myself that can help you into an AT.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:40 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Do you consider the 28 Active Thunder and the 29 Sea Ray to be competitive offerings?

The 28 Active Thunder comes with more standard/upgraded features than the 28 Sunsation, and its a bigger boat. Hence, the price difference. Same thing goes for the 32SS vs. the 33AT.

AT is going to remain factory direct for the most part, for the time being. It leaves out the middle man (dealer & markup), and gives you direct access to the factory. There are a couple of factory reps like myself that can help you into an AT.

You tellem' Sydwayz!

I was lucky enough to visit the factory January of 2005. the guys let me and the wife crawl a round in a 37 they were rigging. All I can say is WOW!! I was impressed with every aspect of the boat.

My next rig will be a 37 if I can figure out a way to afford it. The guys stopped what they were doing to talk with us and say hi.

I also road in Thunder Roys 37 back in Houston on Clear Lake when he first got it!! What a ride!!!

I firmyl beleive you pay for what you get!

And of course,,,,this is just my 02.!!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:53 PM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Smile

I thought the difference in a Challenger hull and an A.T. was about $100K...he!he!!he!he!
In reality the bottoms are all great..it's from the chine up and whats inside that makes a BIG difference.
I'm very pro Harry ..always have been and always will be!

Last edited by chuckbeecher; 04-11-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz

1. I listed Sea Ray and Sunsation because they are possible purchase choices for me, and I wouldn't be posting in here if I did not like A/T. I will put this as simply as I can, If A/T would like my business then they need to update their hull to match the rest of the fleet. simple enough I think. I personally think a roomy 29' stepped hull single engine A/T would be the boat I am lookin for.

2. No comment on the pricing.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by OffshoreTom
1. I listed Sea Ray and Sunsation because they are possible purchase choices for me, and I wouldn't be posting in here if I did not like A/T. I will put this as simply as I can, If A/T would like my business then they need to update their hull to match the rest of the fleet. simple enough I think. I personally think a roomy 29' stepped hull single engine A/T would be the boat I am lookin for.

2. No comment on the pricing.

Steps alone should not make a boat. If that is what you are only basing your purchase on then you obviously need to look somewhere else. I was one of the unfortunate buyers to own a single step Top Gun. Guess What, worst riding boat I owned and it was my first step bottom boat. I went back to a true V, 25 Degree deadrise 42 Sonic. Great boat for what it was, at that time. Next in line was my 37 AVH, excellent ride compared to the Top Gun as well as the Sonic. It is all on how the bottom was designed for that specific boat and what you are looking for. My 43 Nortech has 2 very small steps, might as well almost call it a V bottom, but I like the way this boat rides, especially in the ruff stuff, and it works for me. Good Luck with your desicion. Jeff
Old 04-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 310 Likes on 182 Posts

Steps have their pros and cons. I have heard of alot of step boats spinning out at low speeds due to the step - especially sunsation. Its simple physics - the steps help to loosen up the back end of a boat and give it more lift for higher speeds. But there are not any steps in the front (actually I have seen one boat company start to do this) so when you turn the front grips the water tighter than the back (because of the steps) which can cause a boat to spin out even at low speeds. Granted all this can be avoided with a good driver, but I'm no expert and even experts make mistakes. At first I thought the steps where sweat and I wanted them - know I could care less. All I really care about is rough water ability and the safety of my passengers.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Steps have their pros and cons. I have heard of alot of step boats spinning out at low speeds due to the step - especially sunsation. Its simple physics - the steps help to loosen up the back end of a boat and give it more lift for higher speeds. But there are not any steps in the front (actually I have seen one boat company start to do this) so when you turn the front grips the water tighter than the back (because of the steps) which can cause a boat to spin out even at low speeds. Granted all this can be avoided with a good driver, but I'm no expert and even experts make mistakes. At first I thought the steps where sweat and I wanted them - know I could care less. All I really care about is rough water ability and the safety of my passengers.
There is a thread somewhere on OSO explaining the difference in non stepped, single stepped and multi stepped hulls.

The DDC hull that AT uses does not spin out at any speed. As far as rough water ride, I'll take you for a spin on the 33 in some 8 to 10's at 45 mph and you can be the judge.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:22 PM
Registered

I had a beer with a guy once that told me a story about steps and dart boards and if I remember there was something about shingles also. Can anyone guess who it was? I lmao
Old 04-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cosmic12
I had a beer with a guy once that told me a story about steps and dart boards and if I remember there was something about shingles also. Can anyone guess who it was? I lmao
Hmmm, Miller Lite?

Quick Reply: What's the differance?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.