Thunderstruck hits 90 mph >

Thunderstruck hits 90 mph

Notices

Thunderstruck hits 90 mph

Old 08-29-2007, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input on the propellers!

I don't have a notched transom (97 hull)... I'm curious what the gains are there.

Kaama, do you know the prop slip you're getting at WOT? I think Thunderstruck was getting around 9.5% with nose-cones and a notched transom... Mines been a crazy 18-20%... there's some improvement to be had
Old 08-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Looks like we need some cones!!!
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Registered

I'm measuring around 6-6.5" prop shaft centerline below the bottom of the transom in-line with the prop CL. That's pretty conservative indeed... From a handling standpoint, I have 0 issues up to 85 mph, feels like I'm still not breaking free - given the difference in x-dimensions, I'm not surprised.

I'm getting the feeling that I may be wasting my time looking at nose cones (although I know I need them one way or another). I may want to go with a 3" shorty IMCO... that would give me the most adjustment if I really needed say a 2" shorty...

I'm thinking a drive checkup over the winter may be a good idea to see what a year does - good opportunity to switch lower cases.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spilman
Yes, I'm sure there is a good bit of weight on it, but it has been there for 250 hours of operation. Before the keel plane, the boat would porpoise uncontrollably and had a top speed of 64. Now the keel is just a few inches short of a true 30' & rides like a DREAM @ 70; just needs the spacers due to the x-dimension.
Pat has seen the pics and did question me about it....but he never gave me any feedback about the "original set-up" of this boat; best he could recall it was fine. The props did turn in when new, that has been switched to outward. Being that this boat is stern heavy, the outward rot. & Hydromotive props seem best.
Any feedback is wanted.

Take a look at this thread. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=166893 Your notch looks to be about the same size and causing a similar problem. If a notch is close to or below the water when on plane, it creates a suction that hurts performance instead of helping.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Registered

Posted some pics of Thunderstruck here: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...14#post2254614

Had a nice little rooster tail when he got on it.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:17 PM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Attaboy Tom!!!

Need to get permission to put those pictures up on the MarineKinetics website. Between Kaama and yourself, we have about 186 MPH of Active Thunder to post up!

Best regards,
Bob
Old 08-30-2007, 10:03 PM
Registered

Those are resized, let me know if you want the full size versions to put on the website.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:21 AM
chuckbeecher
Platinum Member

Thunderstruck was looking GOod yesterday in the Galveston Bay poker run. Blew past the Donzi stores 38'525 boat.
That 32 airs out nice in the rough.
Great meeting you guys. K.W. run should be a blast.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Hey Chuck,

We had a good time. Great meeting you guys.

Punching off with the Donzi was fun fun, the guy driving that boat was a good sport too!!!

I have some pics of Clark's boat I will get off of the camera and post. That boat looks absolutely awesome running, great paint job. Your 65 mph cruise speed was impressive to say the least and hard to keep up with even with 30" B1 props.

I would say AT made a good showing at the run. The AT godfather should be proud.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

BTW, that's the hardest I've run the boat since I upgraded the motors. We ran from Top Water to Kemah at 4000 rpm (65-70 mph) plus after we rounded redfish sucking up most of the other vbottoms on the way. The 32 AT rides better than most, even in the nasty boat wakes/chop/prop wash that were common on Saturday. Also, no significant motor issues. Bob Madara of Marine Kinetics is the daddy.

Quick Reply: Thunderstruck hits 90 mph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.