Notices

28 Savage

Old 08-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 28 Savage

I was wondering the approximate price and weight of a 28 Savage with twin 6.2's in it. I'll be in Fla. this weekend but, unfortuatly on the wrong coast. Anyone on the gulf side with a 28 I could see?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 552 Posts

The boat is not currently offered with a twin engine setup, but anything is possible, hence being a custom boat company. Only 2 28s have ever been built with twin I/O setups. One of them is for sale in the OSO classifeds.

The 28 weighs roughly 5000 lbs. rigged with a single setup engine like the 525EFI/XR combo. This is an AWESOME performer that will run a solid 75mph.

Are you going to the Destin Poker Run? I'll be there and we can chat. I am a Factory Rep. for Active Thunder.

Brian Tillett
ActiveThunderAVH(a)aol.com

Drop me an email, and I'll get you my cell phone number.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

No, just going down to a friends house near Ft. Myers, gonna take a quick run to Key West for the day.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:36 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Let me see what I can come up with. I just helped sell this boat to the Chicagoland area a few weeks ago:

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o17114-en.html

Let me see if I can track down the new owner so you can take a look.

The former owner is in Indianapolis, and is 'boatfreak' here on OSO. I am sure he will share his take on the boat and the whole AT experience with you. (He moved up to a 37AT.)

BTW, my family now lives in McHenry and Geneva, IL. I know your patch well.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-16-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Burnin' Love
Gold Member

McHenry's only a stones throw away from me. Let me know what you come up with. There are a few AT's up here on the Chain, mostly older ones, one in particular,a 32 is very fast.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by LIMNATR
McHenry's only a stones throw away from me. Let me know what you come up with. There are a few AT's up here on the Chain, mostly older ones, one in particular,a 32 is very fast.
Years ago, the 25V and 32V were under two different names, Cannon Powerboats and Thunder Boats. These boats were built in Illinois until 1994. Many of these boats are still in the upper midwest; a testament to their longevity.

This was before Pat Haughey acquired the molds and deemed the boats "Active Thunder." The 25 & 32 Active Thunders were built in Illinois from 1994-1997. As the 37 came out in 1998; the 25 and 32 molds were brought to Pompano Beach, FL where Active Thunder resides today.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-16-2007 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:41 AM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

I owned the 'other' Savage 28' with twins for a few years until imminent job loss forced its sale. It went to a young guy out of Ocala, FL, who sold it to buy a 35 Cig. I don't know of its whereabouts now.
The 28's Pat builds now are a modified (shortened) version of his original 32. The boat I owned was from a different mold but and slightly different, but still boasted the incredible freeboard that no other boat in this class and size can touch. Keep in mind that most other mfg's 28's and 29's include molded-in swim platform length. AT is a true 28.
I'm old fashioned about the term 'offshore boat'; IMHO, offshore means just that, and I'm not going offshore in a single engine boat. I reserve singles for inland lakes and rivers. (although even my fishing boats have kickers)
If you build one of these, and you DO decide on twins, I'm not so sure the 6.2 is such a great idea. This stroker engine has been giving Merc a lot of headaches. It is being pushed to (and way past) its limit by owners since it replaced the venerable 7.4's, and it's not holding up well.
If I were to build a 28, I would stick with the tried and true 350MagMPI with Whipples (wait until the warranty runs out to do the chargers), or I would have Lingenfelter or Pfaff build me some QUALITY normally aspirated fuel-injected stokers with the internals that will stand up to the task of the marine environment (they both are the best in the biz at that).
Jim
Old 08-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Registered

This one?

I spoke with Jafo (and met with a few other AT28 owners) before getting my hands on the "other" twin 350 Mag MPI about 2 years ago.

My wife, myself, my daughter Monique, and my son Buzzy (Ohhh.....MoBuzz.....now I get it) have had a great time doing the Catalina thing, along with trips to Mead, Havasu, etc.

By the way Jafo, the full camper canvas has served us very well!

Hello to all! I'm out of the lurker closet!

MoBuzz
Attached Thumbnails 28 Savage-pic-2007-2.jpg  
Old 08-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Registered

Talking AT 28 twins

Mobuzz, what props you turning? what speed & rpm's? How many hrs on your boat?
I am hoping I can keep New Moon, things are looking better.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

mobuzz- I'm glad the boat went to a good home; sure sounds like your having some fun with it! It sure is a great boat.
We only had the chance to use that camper twice, but it sure fit the bill when we did use it. The custom canvas shop (in Muskegon, MI) did an exquisite job designing and fabricating it.
Jim

Quick Reply: 28 Savage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.