Fuel sender power supply?????

Notices

Fuel sender power supply?????

Old 10-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,904 Likes on 957 Posts
Default Fuel sender power supply?????

I'm trying to sort out a few wiring things that are obviously not from the factory on my 32. The boat was rerigged in 2000 with stock 502mpi's and IMO, was not the best of jobs. I saw it when I got it and I figured I'd clean it up in the off season. Nothing big, just several little things that should have been done better.

Where do the power wires to fuel sending units come from/start at???? I would have thought that the power wire would have been in the loom/set of wires with the sender and ground wires, but its not. Mine just have a wire attached to each power lead on the trim pumps and then routed to the senders in a less than high quality way. No inline fuses in the wires either.

I just want to try and find out where the power wires are supposed to be coming from. It might be cut somewhere, but I sure can't find it.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Griff, I would think wiring them to the purple would have been a better way to go. The new livorsi senders don't have a power lead. I never really liked the power lead to the fuel sender idea..
Jim
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

I have the Livorsi/Gaffrig fuel level senders that have a sender, negative and positive terminal on both my tanks. They are labled as CGF-12. They definately don't work without the positive connected.
I see the new livorsi senders are available with only the sender and negative and they still have the ones like mine with the 3 terminals also. It says the 3 terminal are for smartcraft and must have 12 volts to them. I have the original 1997 Gaffrig redline guages. I guess I could get the new senders and eliminate the power/positive wire if that would work, but don't really want to spend $150 on 2 senders. Also, I don't know if the new 2 terminal senders are compatible with my older fuel guages. Being that there is really nothing wrong with the senders though, I might try and just figure out the best place to run the power from or where AT originally ran the positive from.

Last edited by Griff; 10-10-2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Griff ..on the Formula's the positive comes from its own circuit breaker from the panel under the seat ... It could come from anywhere ... But I would want it fused ... I think it was 5 amp ... Also its what you need for the newer sending units that dont have a float but have a tube within a tube and measure the resistance of just the fuel in the tube ...Tank sloshing action should not affect the gauge ...m
Old 11-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

I have the newer type senders with the tube. I have a terminal block very close with the 12 volt (purple--key on power only) and I'm probably going to connect the positive for the sender there as mobilmercman suggested. The terminal block is about a foot the senders. I will put an in line fuse in as well.