Remedy spied at 2024 Lake Cumberland Thunder Run >

Remedy spied at 2024 Lake Cumberland Thunder Run

Notices

Remedy spied at 2024 Lake Cumberland Thunder Run

Old 06-15-2024, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remedy spied at 2024 Lake Cumberland Thunder Run

Saw Remedy cruising by the raft up this weekend! Was on my Sunseeker cruiser near the end of the raft up! Looking awesome.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 538 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Jingallbell
Saw Remedy cruising by the raft up this weekend! Was on my Sunseeker cruiser near the end of the raft up! Looking awesome.
Thank you for the comment!! We finished the last stop at Beaver Creek and came over to Harmon for a ride through the gauntlet, since some friends riding with us had never been there before. I was beyond ready to get back on the trailer by that time, from being on serious lookout all day for any debris in the water and my bald head being sunburnt by then, I was drained and ready to relax. We had a great 2 days running at Lake Cumberland and will be back this Fall for the Lake Cumberland Poker Run.
The following users liked this post:
Jingallbell (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 07:10 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 862 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by bencini231
Thank you for the comment!! We finished the last stop at Beaver Creek and came over to Harmon for a ride through the gauntlet, since some friends riding with us had never been there before. I was beyond ready to get back on the trailer by that time, from being on serious lookout all day for any debris in the water and my bald head being sunburnt by then, I was drained and ready to relax. We had a great 2 days running at Lake Cumberland and will be back this Fall for the Lake Cumberland Poker Run.
Bencini,

How bad was the debris? We were there over Memorial Day and my wife was there the weekend before the Thunder Run, and there were still rafts of debris and more than a few "new outdrives" lurking up the South Fork and up to at least Fishing Creek.

The lake is still suffering the effects of the new growth that developed while the lake was down to repair the dam. I saw recently that the Corps has relaxed the restriction on collecting wood from public lands, trying to address the problem. I really think they need to mount a concerted effort to consume the debris. I could seriously see a crew (or five) and chopper/shredder barges working full time to get it cleared up. I'm convinced that once they get the new growth that has died and has broken loose cleared up, the lake will return to normal pre-dam repair conditions. For as long as I can remember (53 yrs and counting), there has always been a spring crop of floaters, but it was never this bad this late in the season before the dam repair effort.

Thanks. Brad.

Last edited by Brad Christy; 06-17-2024 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-17-2024, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 259 Posts

Same on LOTO. Just when you think it is over, a new crop of floaters are getting trapped in the slip or floating back into the cove.
Old 06-17-2024, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Debris was spotty throughout the main channel
with pockets of large areas of floaters especially on Sunday morning after a calm night. Saturday evening was an enjoyable ride from Harmon back to Conley Bottom after the day of waves moved the debris to the shore. Definitely less than 2 weeks prior to the big storm. It was very slow going in early May from CBR to Lees Ford
Old 06-17-2024, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
Bencini,

How bad was the debris? We were there over Memorial Day and my wife was there the weekend before the Thunder Run, and there were still rafts of debris and more than a few "new outdrives" lurking up the South Fork and up to at least Fishing Creek.

The lake is still suffering the effects of the new growth that developed while the lake was down to repair the dam. I saw recently that the Corps has relaxed the restriction on collecting wood from public lands, trying to address the problem. I really think they need to mount a concerted effort to consume the debris. I could seriously see a crew (or five) and chopper/shredder barges working full time to get it cleared up. I'm convinced that once they get the new growth that has died and has broken loose cleared up, the lake will return to normal pre-dam repair conditions. For as long as I can remember (53 yrs and counting), there has always been a spring crop of floaters, but it was never this bad this late in the season before the dam repair effort.

Thanks. Brad.
From Conley bottom to a bit before Harmon Creek was the worst by far and even then it wasn't real bad at all, then from Harmon Creek to State Dock was a few floaters here and there and from state dock to the dam was pretty much clear everywhere. Heading into wolf creek marina had a small bit of debris, but you could ease right around it. Beaver Creek and 76 falls were 100% clear runs all the way in. I had my wife and another couple on lookout the whole time and we made it without any issues. As Matt stated in the article today They are looking to move the run to later in the year to avoid this issue again.
Old 06-17-2024, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here's a couple of pics captured by Pete on Saturday.

The following users liked this post:
Tiki Joe (06-18-2024)