Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Advantage
Lake Powell >

Lake Powell

Notices

Lake Powell

Old 06-25-2002, 09:14 PM
Advantage27

Default Lake Powell

I was wondering if any of the regulars at this lake could give me any advice on it since I am going on a houseboat trip with friends at the end of August. First off, I have been trying to figure out how exactally I am going to get there. We are going to be leaving out of Bullfrog marina. I was planning on heading up trough Vegas and then to St. George but not sure if I should go through Flagstaff and Page? Keep in mind I am coming from L.A. Our friends have talked about taking a ferry across the lake but I don't know if I can do that with the boat and trailer? Any other advice on nice places to beach at or place t go would be great. This is going to be my first time there so I hope everything goes smoothly.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2002, 01:11 AM
Charter Member #9/ Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There is too much to list....

so give me a call. 602-318-5785

You can also go to www.arizonahotboats.com and go to the links for the Lake Powell Fun Run. We have an annual gathering in June and I am quite familiar with the lake.

Some things you will need: port-a-potty (mandatory on this lake), GPS, marine radio (handheld at a minimum), cell phone, tow rope (just in case), anchor and sand spikes if you have them, camera (with twice the film you think you will need), Maps and a compass unless you have GPS.

Late August you have to watch for late afternoon thunderstorms. Just head for the nearest cove and anchor or beach it. The waves on the lake can get VERY CHOPPY during a storm. These aren't ocean swells or even Havasu chop. I'm not trying to scare ya, just makin sure you're prepared.

To much more info for me to try and write. Give me a call.

Art
Old 06-27-2002, 02:31 PM
Tee

Default Powell Directions

Advantage,
I would suggest you come up thru Vegas and continue north on I-15 till you get to I-70. Head east to the Highway 24 turn off to drop down into Hanksville then Highway 95 into Bullfrog. Another option would be to take Highway 24 out of Siguard thru Capitol Reef National Park to Hanksville and then down 95 but that is a twisty two lane for alot of miles. Capitol Reef has some great sceanery though.
There are some steep hills on both routes over the Sevier Mountains so it is a toss up. I think the I-70 route would be your quickest.
If you need any other info drop me a note at "[email protected]" -----------Tee

Old 06-27-2002, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Default TEE

Dude,
whaasssupp? Long time no talk. Everything going ok up there? How's the boat runnin?

Forgot to tell ya, we'll be visiting dent beach pretty soon
Old 06-28-2002, 01:06 PM
Tee

Default Lake Racer

Doin good. Just got home this last weekend. I spent a few weeks out at our Manassas VA plant so the boat hasn't been out much... Get me some GPS coordinates for Dent Beach would ya. From what I saw at Powell a couple months ago, Its probably High and DRY. Take care, tell the Family I said HI............T

Old 07-07-2002, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Just got back.

It's high and dry. I'll have to look up the coordinates if you really want them. The lake is still fantastic at low water levels. Even found a few more arches that were hidden but now revealed. One good benefit is that there are more beaches to be found for overnighting.

Later

Art