Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Advantage
First time boat owner-Happy with my Advantage >

First time boat owner-Happy with my Advantage

Notices

First time boat owner-Happy with my Advantage

Old 05-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess I will just make this an update thread until I get it in the water. I did redo the dash and put all new SW gauges and had the bezels, throttle plates and a few other things powder coated including the battery hold downs. Unfortunately in getting the boat powered up I was able to tilt the outdrive and I have a leaking fitting which I think will require a whole new hose. Looks like a real pain in the butt to change too.

I also got a new oil cooler and PS cooler combo with a thermostat that was suggested and is sized to my motor and HP.
Old 05-30-2017, 03:12 PM
Registered

Of course with a new build you would expect a few small issues. So the engine sounds good through exhaust but the valves are really loud. So after a fiasco on the dyno with one of the lifters having a plunger stuck sideways somehow and the shop not being able to adjust them for some reason. I was able to swap them out (lifters are Howard 91163 - supposed to be Morel?) while they had it on the dyno with a new set and were able to complete with good results. After the engine sat for about 5 weeks, I was able to start it. Unfortunately the valves were super noisey but it has 50 lbs at idle and I using a melling 10771 pump. I ended up having to remove the exhaust and found all but 2 rocker arms were loose. I ended up readjusting with 1/4 as I have read a lot of opinions on the adjustment for these as they are just below a race lifter. Well it still ticked and rattled.
I emailed Howards and they said

"Lash should be ½ turn. That lifter will make some noise during normal operation. Also keep in mind you are getting noise from the rockers & tie bars on lifters."
"Typically lifter manufacturers do not recommend oil heavier than 10W-40 for proper operation."

I am going to re-lash the valves and run the boat with my Lucas 20w-50 Break-In oil as I have about 18 quarts to change out. Will change it after hopefully a good full day of boating.

I also bought a new carb off a member here as it was dyno'd with a 850 demon and going to try this 1000cfm Pro Systems.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:26 AM
Registered

Well it is finally done except for a stereo and some kick panels. Seeing the engine hatch open for the first time was quite an experience. Very happy with how it turned out and I sure did learn a lot of some very nice and knowledgeable people on this site. We are hopefully going to take it out on its first trial run today or tomorrow.

https://goo.gl/photos/XtgcJBQCnViXHtEr6
Old 06-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Registered

We had our maiden voyage at Donner Lake and everything worked great. Need to do a little carb adjustment and I think I need another prop. Here is a little video

https://goo.gl/photos/cZorZekyNQhoFCYJA
Old 10-29-2017, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 656 Likes on 302 Posts
Default Thanks for sharing...

Very cool quality boat, Cal Custom at it's best and your thread was a nice read due to your dedication bringing her to Bristol condition again. Don't know if the Advantage Offshore 30 and the later Victory 32 is the same hull, but they look very similar and share a 8'3" beam.

You might have read this article about late Harry Christensen, the founder of Advantage, but if not I bet you get an idea what a great guy he was. Your boat was built in Anaheim, California. Harry moved his company to Havasu, AZ in 1992. Great to see your kids enjoying your ride!

https://issuu.com/brettbayne/docs/sp...vember-2016/60

Last edited by larslindroth; 10-29-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by larslindroth
Very cool quality boat, Cal Custom at it's best and your thread was a nice read due to your dedication bringing her to Bristol condition again. Don't know if the Advantage Offshore 30 and the later Victory 32 is the same hull, but they look very similar and share a 8'3" beam.

You might have read this article about late Harry Christensen, the founder of Advantage, but if not I bet you get an idea what a great guy he was. Your boat was built in Anaheim, California. Harry moved his company to Havasu, AZ in 1992. Great to see your kids enjoying your ride!

https://issuu.com/brettbayne/docs/sp...vember-2016/60
Well thank you for the compliment as it has been fun learning about boats and bringing her back. I have not ready that article but I will today. We certainly enjoyed it this summer.