4 Blade or 5 Blade prop? >

4 Blade or 5 Blade prop?

Notices

4 Blade or 5 Blade prop?

Old 10-18-2005, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Blade or 5 Blade prop?

Can someone please tell me the difference between a 4blade and 5blade prop? Other than one has more or less blades than the other. Thanks a mill!!
Old 10-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Registered

Default Re: 4 Blade or 5 Blade prop?

besides price..... the 5 blade is suppose to have much less prop slip on the top end than the 4 blade, therefore giving you another few mph.

Don
Old 10-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

burn2burn is running a 5blade hydromotive. I'm sure he' comment when he wakes up. He's in Washington State. My next prop will be a 5blade, supposedly more bow lift also.
Attached Thumbnails 4 Blade or 5 Blade prop?-file0008a.jpg  
Old 10-19-2005, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 5 blade will not give you more top end MPH. It will more likely hurt you a few MPH on top. However it may increase your mid-range & low-end power but not top end. It will bite
more ( have less slip ) But you should be running under or around 10% with a 4 blade bravo prop now. Untill you figure out your prop slip you are running now please don't waste your money on buying a prop. ( just my 2 cents ) More bite dosn't always equal more top end MPH. Besides those 5 blades are definatly not cheap, I would want to make shure I am buying something that will increase performance. You should not be having prop slip issues on a 26' cat, unless your x-dimension is way high. ( drive height ) and if it is way high
you might could patch the problem with a 5 blade. However
if it is too high you would be much better served by putting a drive spacer on, saving your money on the 5 blade, and going even faster. Did you ever figure out you exact RPM's & MPH ?
That is the only way you are going to get proped right. Let me know if you need any help. Later , Scott
Old 10-19-2005, 09:11 AM
Registered

I almost forgot. You will not gain any bow lift by adding a 5 blade. You will actually loose some. You will gain stern lift instead. Later , Scott
Old 10-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
A 5 blade will not give you more top end MPH. It will more likely hurt you a few MPH on top. However it may increase your mid-range & low-end power but not top end. It will bite
more ( have less slip ) But you should be running under or around 10% with a 4 blade bravo prop now. Untill you figure out your prop slip you are running now please don't waste your money on buying a prop. ( just my 2 cents ) More bite dosn't always equal more top end MPH. Besides those 5 blades are definatly not cheap, I would want to make shure I am buying something that will increase performance. You should not be having prop slip issues on a 26' cat, unless your x-dimension is way high. ( drive height ) and if it is way high
if it is too high you would be much better served by putting a drive spacer on, saving your money on the 5 blade, and going even faster. Did you ever figure out you exact RPM's & MPH ?
That is the only way you are going to get proped right. Let me know if you need any help. Later , Scott
well uhm....wrong! i had a 25daytona and 104 was the best with a 4blade and 16-20% slip. went to a p5x and went 118mph and 4-6% slip. better on plane time much better midrange and a bullet from 85 up. not every boat likes them though. my new 31ao has them and planes incredible awesome mid but 70-90 hops out of the water. proof not all boats are the same i guess.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 4 Blade or 5 Blade prop?

Why not install a tunnel tab to get rid of the hop.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:32 PM
Registered

well i've got bigger problems right now that i cant get into until all parties involved have had a chance to correct. tab might be on the list of "to-do's"
Old 10-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by seanv
well uhm....wrong! i had a 25daytona and 104 was the best with a 4blade and 16-20% slip. went to a p5x and went 118mph and 4-6% slip. better on plane time much better midrange and a bullet from 85 up. not every boat likes them though. my new 31ao has them and planes incredible awesome mid but 70-90 hops out of the water. proof not all boats are the same i guess.
The point of my post was the fact that I would hate to see someone spend alot of money on a 5 blade without knowing there prop slip now. However if CAsouthpaws's prop slip is
16-20% or higher like yours was I am shure that a 5 blade will help out all around. But without him knowing his exact slip that is an expensive guessing game. I agree all boats do not act the same there are many factors that come into play.
That is exactly why I would not advise buying an expensive prop based off of what it did to someone else's boat with there setup, and there prop slip issues.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
I too will dissagree with this statement above. However, do agree with SeanV. I was @ 20% slip with a 4 blade and now down to 9% with a 5 blade. I have the Bravo Teague Platinum with the Imco shortie and 1.36 gears spinning the Hydromotive P5 "X". NOTICE THE "X".......the AO's like the P5-"X".......Contact Julie at Throttle-Up. The "X" gives more bow lift and the P5 gives more stern lift. Across the board my 5 blade is by far better than the Bravo one 4 blade was. Here is a pic running the P5 "X".
Attached Thumbnails 4 Blade or 5 Blade prop?-runnin-2-2-.jpg  

Quick Reply: 4 Blade or 5 Blade prop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.