Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > American Offshore
26 with 454 mpi and procharger...have black smoke and misfiring issue... >

26 with 454 mpi and procharger...have black smoke and misfiring issue...

Notices

26 with 454 mpi and procharger...have black smoke and misfiring issue...

Old 05-25-2008, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 26 with 454 mpi and procharger...have black smoke and misfiring issue...

i have a 1998 american offshore i bought last year.i put it in the water today and had a nice ride with it. i have 3 problems:

- the rear deck became all covered in black and i could see black smoke coming from the exhaust.
i felt the boat misfiring at low rmp...it is running very rich or maybe the misfire is creating the un-burnt fuel...seems like both mufflers are smoking black..even throught the back of the boat all over....i saw the black smoke out of the 2 mufflers.

am i running too rich or maybe not burning all fuel ,maybe a bad plugs or wires... any ideas ??

my water temp gage isnt moving at all... where shall i start ? where is the sender that contraols the gage on the dash ? i see where the t-stat is.. there is a single wire hoooked on top of it.. i tried removing it and played with it a little to see if that would send any kind of signal but nothing happened...

would appreciate help on these 2 items...

now, this way the 1st time i took it out... this 26ft is the best ride i have ever had !!! was doing 87mph woith the hydro prop 4 blade 15.5 x 28 ... it was slow to come o0ut of the water but damn the top end is incredible...4800 rpm...again, this was my 1st time out... maybe if i trim it , i may get a little more... these boats are the best i have ever tried....
i am sure i will get the 2 little glitches out of it...and will enjoy it....
Old 05-26-2008, 11:30 AM
Registered

Did you get rid of the old gas? That could be your miss firing problem. Black soot on the back of the boat is normal when your set up is rich. 87 is great for your first time out. These boats can take awhile to plane especially with a full load.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DrewDown
Did you get rid of the old gas? That could be your miss firing problem. Black soot on the back of the boat is normal when your set up is rich. 87 is great for your first time out. These boats can take awhile to plane especially with a full load.
ahhhh... the slow plane is normal then...but when it is up,it goes nuts !

i understand the soot is good for not damaging motors.. and i will live with it...
it did have some old fuel in there from last season....very little though... but the misfire is pretty evident.. so i imagine bad plugs and maybe wires/cap/rotor...
it wont hurt anyways to replace those....
Old 06-14-2008, 07:11 AM
scarab
Gold Member

when you add a pro charger you have to have your computers reflashed they change the timming fuel curve temp setting and a couple of other things your motors will run much better when you have this done I'm doing this to my boat at this time Also with your running rich that will cause your motor to load up and misfire it's putting to much fuel in and could end up getting in your oil

Last edited by trc2; 06-14-2008 at 07:16 AM.