Notices

Apache 28 Brave Update!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Woooo,

Glad we got that all out of our systems.
No kiddin.. Lifes too short.. Jamie

Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormrider
Jamie, that 'whatever' emoticon, and your avatar kinda look alike.
Can you put a 'whatever' sign in your avatars hand?
Id like to put somethin else in her hand... lol
Attached Images   
Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 PM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

i dont care what anyone says the apache 28 it is one heavy 28 ft boat, i talked with Bob S. today, he is going to find out the weight for me so there is not a big fight on the board. I dont care what it weights, it is a great boat and it takes alot of power to move, it must be heavy. who care its a Apache Right!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Apache Brave
I had my 28 Brave surveyed on Friday, it checked out great. Hull is solid, no moisture in any part of the hull, all stringers are perfect, paint is good. Motors runs, but will still be replaced, drive are Bravo 1's with nose cones, External steering rams are leaking, mufflers dont work, gauges are good, but wireing needs to be updated, interior is good, cabin is dry and in great cond. I think overall for the price I got a good deal. I will be updating the dash, motors, drives, steering, wiring and paint. I should have the Apache to its new home this week, I will keep everyone updated on my progress with the boat. If anyone knows anything else about the boat let me know, it was called Fast Relief, pics or info would be app.
Good deal!!!!

Lots of tire kickers and naysayers out there, glad to see you made out well!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 PM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

Bob Saccenti called me today, I mistook what he said about the weight of a 28 Apache, he said they way between 7,000-8,000 pounds without gas, the weight varied because of layup and material used between boats, he said no 2 were alike. Sorry to start a argument.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Stormrider
I love the idea of Konrads. But you just paid 25 for the boat, and i know you were looking for a good deal. I just didn't think you'd be wanting to spend another 30+ for Konrads on boxes. Cuz before you know it, with upgrades and wiring and new power, you'll be in around $85-90 in this boat.
25 boat
+30 konrads
+30 engines (new, or 18-20 in a good rebuild)
+5 rigging (jamie wont like that # )
+2 in misc gauges
you keeping the exhuast or going new?

I'm just putting some basic #s out there, i dont think i'm that far off. All i know is, thats alot to have in a 16-20yr old 28.
If that was you monetary intention, and will enjoy the boat like that, then its worth it.
Just my $0.02.
In addition to the money, you're shifting the Center of Gravity...angle of attack will change and a whole host of other potential handling characteristics which may make the boat a dog and worst case dangerous.....

My question to Konrad would be; how many other 28 Apache's have had this conversion done? And not 28 XYZ brands...how many 28 Apache's?? Konrad isn't always a silver bullet....I'd let someone else spend that kind of cake on R&D...

28 ft, 8000lb boat will live just fine on Bravos... Unless of course you get carried away with the power...but that goes without saying...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
In addition to the money, you're shifting the Center of Gravity...angle of attack will change and a whole host of other potential handling characteristics which may make the boat a dog and worst case dangerous.....

My question to Konrad would be; how many other 28 Apache's have had this conversion done? And not 28 XYZ brands...how many 28 Apache's?? Konrad isn't always a silver bullet....I'd let someone else spend that kind of cake on R&D...

My 28 had TRS and it ran wonderfully. Other 28's had single big blocks and performed well. None of them were all that sensitive- especially to a few hundred pounds. In the case of a single, over a thousand. Plus being able to fine-tune x-dimension from the stock position to almost 2" upward would be a tremendous benefit.

Sure, seeing someone else do it first is always nice, yet I've yet to find someone with a single negative about them on any boat. I talked first-hand to at least a dozen customers and several dealers befor I ordered mine. Got nothing but 100% positives. The Apache is a fairly neutral handling straight 24-degree vee. If it were something exotic, I'd want to look a little harder. In this case, I'd have no reservations at all.

As far as the standard Bravo, the biggest thing Merc puts in front of it it 425 horse. Sure, they're conservative, but not by a third.

Last edited by Chris Sunkin; 01-24-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
My 28 had TRS and it ran wonderfully. Other 28's had single big blocks and performed well. None of them were all that sensitive- especially to a few hundred pounds. In the case of a single, over a thousand. Plus being able to fine-tune x-dimension from the stock position to almost 2" upward would be a tremendous benefit.

Sure, seeing someone else do it first is always nice, yet I've yet to find someone with a single negative about them on any boat. I talked first-hand to at least a dozen customers and several dealers befor I ordered mine. Got nothing but 100% positives. The Apache is a fairly neutral handling straight 24-degree vee. If it were something exotic, I'd want to look a little harder. In this case, I'd have no reservations at all.

As far as the standard Bravo, the biggest thing Merc puts in front of it it 425 horse. Sure, they're conservative, but not by a third.
The difference being your 28 was built as a trs boat, this was built as a bravo boat....

My Scarab had TRS's but I never switched over to Bravo;s because the set-up is different...

My close friend has been running 510 cu in., 550 hp Teague engines in his 41 Velocity with standard bravo's for over 10 years, ocean running and no failures... If he stays within realistic power levels he shouldn't have any problems.

I even consulted Bobby about doing Konrads on my 36' and he couldn't honestly tell me to do it because of the lack of knowlege with the product in my specific applications...

If you got money to gamble sure... play ball..

Last edited by Panther; 01-24-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not certain I'm understanding your concern. Drive swaps are commonplace. I've seen dozens of TRS to SSM and Bravo swaps, most Apache 41's have had #3 to #6 swaps and relatively speaking, a full tank of fuel vs a low one has a way more dramatic effect on center of gravity that any drive swap possibly could. Even the variations in layups between one Apache and the next are well-known. Most often they weren't due to any particular plan, that's just how they slopped the resin into the molds.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm trying to either see what I'm missing or learn something new.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I'm not certain I'm understanding your concern. Drive swaps are commonplace. I've seen dozens of TRS to SSM and Bravo swaps, most Apache 41's have had #3 to #6 swaps and relatively speaking, a full tank of fuel vs a low one has a way more dramatic effect on center of gravity that any drive swap possibly could. Even the variations in layups between one Apache and the next are well-known. Most often they weren't due to any particular plan, that's just how they slopped the resin into the molds.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm trying to either see what I'm missing or learn something new.
My point is that it's not a direct swap in a boat like this and the knowledge is limited... TRS to Konrad, I think it's a great move! I often wish I bought a TRS boat cheap and did the Konrad conversion and used the power I have! #3 to Konrad, great move agian...since they're discontinued...

Apache's were all custom built.. A lot of these boats had smaller cockpits to make room for transmissions for #3's or TRS etc....bravo cockpits were usually bigger and the engine room bulkhead was moved further back.... If you do a total swap you need to figure out X dimensions and potentially need to modify the boat, maybe a little...maybe a LOT.... If you do the kit with the trans in the extension box you're shifting the weight aft with the 90 lb transmission and heavier drive...Now you also have X-dimension issues...as you go back you have to go up...you can't figure this out without testing it.. In addition to all this....you also now need to figure 50-75 more HP in your engine build to account for the parasitic losses of the new drive..

So, if you have a conservative engine build you may be better off leaving the boat the way it is and upgrading to XR's or some other alternative..

I've seen a lot of guys waste money and then bash a product, meanwhile it's not even the products fault...

Quick Reply: Apache 28 Brave Update!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.