Notices

Awesome pics

Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phil_p999
easy

the reason I said I think it's "bs" is that my boat is similar in setup.

500 efi's, 10" extension boxes, X dim. set at 1" above. The props are 30 lab 4blade B1's, 1.36 gear. Best 96mph 5250.

when you say race boat, do you mean that weight has been removed or shifted around?

What are these 34 cleavers you are running? 3 blades? I had put a set of 32 4 blades and could not spin them over 4600.

I am missing something here. What is the "off the trailer weight" of this boat?
I dont know why your boat runs the speed it runs but i can tell you weight makes a huge differance.
7250 lbs light on fuel remember that boat still is running 102mph and its been 10 years since i have had it.
X height means a lot my velocity losses 5 mph by droping the drive .250
Heres another boat a friend of mine had 30 awesome 500 bulldogs x at same spot as mine hook taken out 100 mph but it was 900 lbs more than mine.
If you want send your number and ill tell you all the changes i did and props to much put on here.
Gary
Old 08-10-2012, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the hook your talking about in the sponsons or in the tunnel?
Old 08-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by tssteph
Is the hook your talking about in the sponsons or in the tunnel?
Its on the last step its the flat running surface.
Most of the pleasure boats had a big hook in them and it worked like a big trim tab one side was worse than the other on my boat.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:52 PM
Registered

My AO does not have a hook.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by tssteph
My AO does not have a hook.

Thats good one less problem to worry about.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:06 PM
Registered

I guess I should have said on the steps. It does in the tunnel. The last three feet or so hook quit a bit.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gary cook
Yes they were stock 500 sealed by merc when i dynoed them they made 509 hp and 510 hp at legel super cat min weight the way the boat was set up it went a best of 109 and would run 106 to 107 any day 34 merc cleavers they would turn 5250 on limiter and with 31 hydromotive that were worked over by tom at hydromotive the boat would run the same speed better cruise still bang the limiter.
Let me first say that you being an Offshore racer provides enough validation that you know how to properly "set-up" a boat for it's max potential. Or better put, you have forgotten more than I know.

I am curious since I really don't know, so I will ask. Clevers. They are made for a bravo lower? Or, you can adapt a sportmaster lower to a Bravo 1 upper?

Jim Jones did tell me that he had worked with Tom at Hydromotive on props for the 31. He did say that Tom knew how to correctly prop the 31.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:40 AM
Racer
Racer

Default awesome

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
Let me first say that you being an Offshore racer provides enough validation that you know how to properly "set-up" a boat for it's max potential. Or better put, you have forgotten more than I know.

I am curious since I really don't know, so I will ask. Clevers. They are made for a bravo lower? Or, you can adapt a sportmaster lower to a Bravo 1 upper?

Jim Jones did tell me that he had worked with Tom at Hydromotive on props for the 31. He did say that Tom knew how to correctly prop the 31.
Props back then werent as good as they are now that being said a bravo 4 blade was a good all around prop merc 4 blade outboard cleavers were fast and thats about it.
Back then thats what a lot of the super cat light guys used was outboard and 4 blade quad 4
I raced with both depending on how the water was and i tested with a ton of props that werent as good as theses two i ran .

Yes the outboard 4 blade cleaver will work so will the 3 blades i tried the 3 blades ran ok speed but handle wasent great.

And it was real fun to get on plane with 3 blades.

Like i said in the above post x height was the biggest key to speed but the trade off was a bad low speed hop you have to make the prop surface to get rpm.

A tunnel tab would have helped the low speed hop and if you can believe it i shouldent even say this maybe a touch more speed.

My boat now looses 4 to 5 miles per hour with .250 to .500 drop in drive height depending on drive trim angle it goes from 94 to 90 or so.
The water speedo picks up 5 miles per hr when its at its lower setting the water speedo is dead on to my gps speedo at the higher drive height .

So that tells you what water pressure is doing without even putting a pressure gage on it.

Plus my old boat had no cabin and weight moved around i also talked to george lender a lot about things to change he is the guy who made the first chris cats and sparky at vicious had a lot to do with making it run the way it did.

Last edited by gary cook; 08-11-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:04 PM
CNC
Registered

Fascinating, I had never checked for hook on my bottom step. Just checked it is .125 to .188, not much.
how much is typical? I am always tweaking my setup, I have #5's with 12" extension boxes, prop C/L 2.75" from bottom.
Randy
Old 08-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Awsome pic

Nice to meet you Gary. I am back from a week trip in your area, (i was in Michigan City SBI race...but no race) visiting
Chicago etc.. And what a week of action i miss on the forum!!

So your are the original owner of the boat. How did you reconized for sure ?. And, to anwser few questions..
Those 500's hp stil have the seal on it. Port read 155h,and
stabord 175h. The lower std bravo's are now XR shaft. With
the same 1.36 imco gear upper.

Serge (from Montreal)

Quick Reply: Awesome pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.