Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Awesome
26 Awesome's...Project planning started, But will a Centri fit??? >

26 Awesome's...Project planning started, But will a Centri fit???

Notices

26 Awesome's...Project planning started, But will a Centri fit???

Old 04-19-2009, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 26 Awesome's...Project planning started, But will a Centri fit???

Last edited by hotstang46; 07-25-2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Registered

Here is a pic of the engine pulleys. One in particular has obviously already had slight contact with the back of the rear seat bottom. What have you guys done about this.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hotstang46
Post up pics tomorrow, just got the boat in my hands. Hull is in FANTASTIC shape but it needs alot of work elsewhere. Upholstery, drive (going b-max), complete engine rebuild, some electrical, etc etc. .

I will probably on here a bunch asking you guys with the 26's for some help and advise throughout. So...... Doesn't look like a centri will fit. Anyone running one? Is that why all you guys went with the roots? I really wanted to avoid cutting up my deck but now I don't know if that will be possible. Maybe the inside of the deck can be customized to work. Doesn't look like that procharger or vortech would sit any higher than the carb. What was throwing me off is toward the bow on the underside of the deck it is flat then has fiberglass slanting downard taking away top to bottom clearence in the engine compartment. But the pad is flat, so maybe someone can cut a portion of that out for the centri and still keep the pad in tact. Hope that makes sense to you guys. Also, I couldn't believe how close the pulleys on the front of the engine are to the where the seat bottom for the rear seat are....I'm sure a blower will add a wider pulley and put that relationship even closer. What did you guys do? just have the seat relocated slightly forward?

Goal, 800+ horse 100+ and REALIABILITY.... I will start a thread with progress pics tomorrow when I get initial pics up for anyone that may be interested.

EDIT: Duffer if your reading this I have some questions. I just noticed on the last post that you said you had a procharger. I'm assuming you had to modify the engine hatch in the area I stated above right? Do you have any pics of your set up and specifically the inside of that hatch cover if you modified it? I'm also curious to hear how much room you have between the pulley's and the rear seat bottom/ back. I have like none, in fact the pulley is slightly touching the back of the seat bottom. I'll post a pic tomorrow... THANKS
Unfortunatally I have not taken any pictures of my engine compartment ( I should though it lookks pretty AWESOME!). Right now my engine is out of the boat - Having some upgrades done. - I can tell you this though, My back seat is set about 4" forward from the factory. It is a 2003. I have seen other 26' Awesomes and the back seat is the same as yours. I do not have a problem with my pulleys hitting the back seat. With the procharger I had to modify the hatch a little undernieth. I had the top of the Carborator Box Machined down that gave me aout a 1/2", then I took off the hatch and cut a hole in the fiberglass where the carb box hit the hatch. that gave me about another 1 1/2" - I also, cut the ply wood from under the sun pad and put a piece of 12 Ga. Stainless Steel in place - That gave me another 1/2" . I then fabricated a nice Stainless Steel Box the Whent into the gap to give it a nice finished look under the hatch. By doing this I gained an extra
2" of clearance, which is plenty with out sacraficing the sun pad. With the procharger I could only run an 8 rib pulley because the top comes close to the back seat. I also had to remote mount the intercooler to one side. I will eventually post some pictures, but probabally not for a month. Good Luck With Your Project!!!
Old 04-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Registered

You stated that you have selected a Bmax outdrive. Best you do some searching on OSO.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Duffer
Unfortunatally I have not taken any pictures of my engine compartment ( I should though it lookks pretty AWESOME!). Right now my engine is out of the boat - Having some upgrades done. - I can tell you this though, My back seat is set about 4" forward from the factory. It is a 2003. I have seen other 26' Awesomes and the back seat is the same as yours. I do not have a problem with my pulleys hitting the back seat. With the procharger I had to modify the hatch a little undernieth. I had the top of the Carborator Box Machined down that gave me aout a 1/2", then I took off the hatch and cut a hole in the fiberglass where the carb box hit the hatch. that gave me about another 1 1/2" - I also, cut the ply wood from under the sun pad and put a piece of 12 Ga. Stainless Steel in place - That gave me another 1/2" . I then fabricated a nice Stainless Steel Box the Whent into the gap to give it a nice finished look under the hatch. By doing this I gained an extra
2" of clearance, which is plenty with out sacraficing the sun pad. With the procharger I could only run an 8 rib pulley because the top comes close to the back seat. I also had to remote mount the intercooler to one side. I will eventually post some pictures, but probabally not for a month. Good Luck With Your Project!!!

huh..... then if you're seat is about 4 inches forward then your engine hatch must be about 4 inches longer as well? I think I will have to have the hatch lengthened and re upholstered by someone. I can't imagine what type of leg room you must have though. It's already pretty tight.

I guess I'll have to have the engine mounted with the mods and then the rear seat and hatch built around it. Now I'm wondering if I can get away with the intercooler in front (stock position for the kit) with that set up. You mentioned the height not being ok for the intercooler, not the ratio to the seat back, so I'm guessing the intercooler did not extend out past where the pulley would sit i guess. I'm thinking I may be able to get away with it because I will have the downsloping part underneath the hatch(on the forward (bow) most part of the hatch) scrapped in favor of a level piece, hopefully giving me a bunch more inches. hope that makes sense.

But even still. You guys with the roots blowers must of needed more clearance too. Did you guys do something similair to what I'm thinking?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Registered

Post up pics tomorrow, just got the boat in my hands. Hull is in FANTASTIC shape but it needs alot of work elsewhere. Upholstery, drive (going b-max), complete engine rebuild, some electrical, etc etc. .

THANKS
Are you planning on keeping the interior stock? If so, I can get you hooked up with Michael at McLeod Design. They did the original interiors for Awesome. He has made several improvements to the interior design. Currently working on a high back version of his bolster design used in the Awesome.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:01 AM
Registered

Here is the outdrive that is a great bravo replacement. With 800 HP and a ton of torque to boot, your going to need it.
http://www.maxmachineworx.com/completeUnits.htm
Old 04-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

huh..... then if you're seat is about 4 inches forward then your engine hatch must be about 4 inches longer as well? I think I will have to have the hatch lengthened and re upholstered by someone. I can't imagine what type of leg room you must have though. It's already pretty tight.

I guess I'll have to have the engine mounted with the mods and then the rear seat and hatch built around it. Now I'm wondering if I can get away with the intercooler in front (stock position for the kit) with that set up. You mentioned the height not being ok for the intercooler, not the ratio to the seat back, so I'm guessing the intercooler did not extend out past where the pulley would sit i guess. I'm thinking I may be able to get away with it because I will have the downsloping part underneath the hatch(on the forward (bow) most part of the hatch) scrapped in favor of a level piece, hopefully giving me a bunch more inches. hope that makes sense.

But even still. You guys with the roots blowers must of needed more clearance too. Did you guys do something similair to what I'm thinking?
I don't Know about the length of the hatch or the leg room - There seems to be enough leg room in the back seat - All I know is that I have about 4" in front of my engine and plenty of room for my pulleys.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Registered

ROTAX: I think I will keep the interior stock. I think alot of the leather can be salvaged. And even if not I may refinish it the same. I like hot the boat isn't too busy inside, maybe just add some accenting.

DUFFER: Thanks so much for helping out. I removed the rear seat padding and noticed that I can pretty easily just move the whole wood box it sits on forward with ease. So I may just shorten the seat bottom by 2 inches and move it 2 1/2 inches forward as well. Do you have any idea how much more clearance I need in the front of the engine with the addition of the procharger. I'm assuming the new pulleys stick maybe 3 inches farther out than the stockers.

26 AWESOME: I know you have roots but you must have still had the same problem with the pulleys being close to the seat right? Did you have to modify anything?

Chris
Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROTAX: I think I will keep the interior stock. I think alot of the leather can be salvaged. And even if not I may refinish it the same. I like hot the boat isn't too busy inside, maybe just add some accenting.

DUFFER: Thanks so much for helping out. I removed the rear seat padding and noticed that I can pretty easily just move the whole wood box it sits on forward with ease. So I may just shorten the seat bottom by 2 inches and move it 2 1/2 inches forward as well. Do you have any idea how much more clearance I need in the front of the engine with the addition of the procharger. I'm assuming the new pulleys stick maybe 3 inches farther out than the stockers.

26 AWESOME: I know you have roots but you must have still had the same problem with the pulleys being close to the seat right? Did you have to modify anything?

Chris
Chris I modified the hatch and removed the back bench (very heavy)now have 2 light weight bucket seats in the back.I will try to find a pic and post it for you to see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.