Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Awesome
Bother Fixing Trim Tabs on my 26?  Or disable? >

Bother Fixing Trim Tabs on my 26? Or disable?

Notices

Bother Fixing Trim Tabs on my 26? Or disable?

Old 08-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bother Fixing Trim Tabs on my 26? Or disable?

First time out today on fox lake on my 26 project. Launched out of bauske basin. Launch was ok, but more importantly the boat fired up we made our way out past the no wake zones fine. Right when we got out there I noticed the boat pulling with the right side riding high. I knew before I launched that I only had one working trim tab. But what I didn't know is that it only was going down and not up. So I had the tab stuck down pretty far while the other was all the way up. Kinda ruined the day as far as speed was concerned. Couldn't run very quick at all, which was fine being the engine was fresh from Bill at Ateco engines. Question is though....... Should I try to fix the tabs or just disable them and move them both to the all the way up position. I can't say I've seen another 26 with tabs so I'm thinking they're not neeeded. And it will be a heck of alot easier than troubleshooting.

Also as a side note, tach isn't working. Never troubleshooted one before, or guages for that matter......easy enough to get it going? Any advice or direction pointing for advice?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2009, 08:34 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hotstang46
First time out today on fox lake on my 26 project. Launched out of bauske basin. Launch was ok, but more importantly the boat fired up we made our way out past the no wake zones fine. Right when we got out there I noticed the boat pulling with the right side riding high. I knew before I launched that I only had one working trim tab. But what I didn't know is that it only was going down and not up. So I had the tab stuck down pretty far while the other was all the way up. Kinda ruined the day as far as speed was concerned. Couldn't run very quick at all, which was fine being the engine was fresh from Bill at Ateco engines. Question is though....... Should I try to fix the tabs or just disable them and move them both to the all the way up position. I can't say I've seen another 26 with tabs so I'm thinking they're not neeeded. And it will be a heck of alot easier than troubleshooting.

Also as a side note, tach isn't working. Never troubleshooted one before, or guages for that matter......easy enough to get it going? Any advice or direction pointing for advice?

Thanks
Fix the tabs - I wish I had them!! That is a project for this winter for me!!
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fix the tabs you will thank yourself.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, I tracked the problem down today. It was the actual switch itself. I jerry rigged it today so both run off the "working" rocker switch. Obviously I can't control them individually now but it's just a temp fix.

DUFFER.....what do you want the tabs for?? planing only?
Old 08-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Registered

Based on your location you'll soon figure out why you need them when you get out in the lake and get caught in the rough stuff. While you have the boat out set the tabs to level with the boat hull and mark it on your indicators. last fall I made a run from Benton Harbor Mi to Chicago in 3-4s had the tabs set at about 2 numbers below level. Makes a hugh difference in the ride.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hot Stepper
Based on your location you'll soon figure out why you need them when you get out in the lake and get caught in the rough stuff. While you have the boat out set the tabs to level with the boat hull and mark it on your indicators. last fall I made a run from Benton Harbor Mi to Chicago in 3-4s had the tabs set at about 2 numbers below level. Makes a hugh difference in the ride.
Take them off! that boat does not like or need tabs it is not like a v bottem my 26awesome goes 120 no tabs and will run in the rough as good as a V 10 feet bigger