leaning issue again! >

leaning issue again!

Notices

leaning issue again!

Old 07-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaning issue again!

Still working on this problem. Went to the dealer when it wasn't a windy day. And the boat leaned a little bit but told it was normal (engine torque). Talked to them again about getting a left hand prop to try to see if the boat would lean the other way.
Now he said that if its windy out that it should lean both ways depending on which side the wind is hitting on?
Why would the boat lean one way and not the other?

02 252 islander

Have a question on a windy day if the wind hits on the port side the boat will lean hard to the port side. This makes sense. But if the wind hits on the starboard side the boat doesn't lean at all to the starboard side. Why? Shouldn't it lean to the starboard side?

On a calm day seems to me it leans a little to the port side but was told that was normal because of engine torque.

This is not a weight issue checked all that. Might try to find a left hand prop to see it changes.

I have tabs to correct the issue but could of just installed the port side tab and left the other one off. I never use the other one.

Any ideas or is this normal?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: leaning issue again!

I suppose the wind can effect it some what, but I have never noticed that much of an issue with my 275, which has about the same area above the water. Usually when I'm running I believe my right tab is on or two notches lower on the indicator which I think is more normal.

I read your earlier post about your hull having a hook to it. Did Baja take care of that for you? And did it help?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:24 AM
Registered

Talked with Baja the dealer and another person that does bottom work that has no ties with Baja and all said it was meant to be in there. If I wanted it out I would have to pay for it and the affect it would have, good or bad, no one could tell me. So I haven't taken it out yet still thinking about it.

As for the lean when it is windy, hitting on the port side, it leans really hard to the port side. If heavy wind hits on the starboard side doesn't lean one bit. Thought it should lean both ways depending on the wind?

Am I saying this right port side is the passanger side and the starboard side is the drivers side correct?

Russ
Old 07-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Registered

No one else has this issue with there Baja leaning hard into the wind on the port side when it's windy? And no leaning at all on the starboard side when the wind hits hard on that side?

If no one else has this problem what could be the cause?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:17 AM
Transplanted to KS
Gold Member

I do but it is all about engine torque. We put a 525SC in the 24 Outlaw it and it leans terrible to the port side. I had longer tabs installed and that was able to correct the problem. No big deal to me, it is just how the boats has reacted to so much engine torque. I talked to my favorite boat god and asked him about a left hand prop, he did not suggest it and thought it could make it even worse. It seems to be worse when I drive because Ron is so much bigger than me so I have to use the port side tab more than he does when he drives. I am used to it now and I really don't even think about it anymore. Just my .02.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Registered

I know some of the lean could be caused by engine torque. But I was running with some other Baja's last week when it was really windy. I talked with them when we tied up. One was a 272 and one was a 29 single engines with 502's. They said theres will lean both ways (not as bad as mine was) if it is windy out but usually straightens out about 40 to 50 mph and they can raise the tabs. There would be no way I could run the boat above 30 mph if the wind was hitting on the port side with out the port tab down. Just seems wierd the boat will never lean to the starboard side in heavy wind.

Also Outlawcowgirl why did he say the left hand prop would make it worse?

Last edited by russ; 07-21-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:36 PM
Registered

For what its worth my 25ol leans slightly everyone i have talked to that knows something about it tells me that some do some dont Im going to have my hook worked slightly to try to compensate for it I will let you know how it goes
Old 07-21-2005, 11:13 PM
Registered

dsandman6

So the people you talked to said the lean might be caused by the bottom? And when you say slight lean is it there always or just in certain conditions. Mine the slight lean is always there to the port side. But is 100 times worse in the ruff stuff and the wind hitting on the port side.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Registered

Its a combination of both prop and hull Iwas told however if the hull is right prop tork won,t effect it
Old 07-22-2005, 07:34 PM
Registered

Well mine does it all the time it is alot worse if i dont watch my driving if I cut across a wake with the wrong angle it leans now I realize all boats do it but what im saying is its worse than normal Oh and yes it is a bottom problem I have talked to guys that do blueprinting the biggest thing about is people think it will cure the problem it wont it will make it faster but you have to figure out witch side is causing the problem my guy is going to make small adjustments to pinpoint the problem area if you take to much out the problem will more than likley get worse baja in general need the hook its just part of the design no matter what your told if there not a hull design engineer they dont know Ihave friends that have blueprinted there 25s and they had nightmares afterwards with handling to the point of tabs being used for normal driving now honestly I may be venturing into a mess but the lean drives me crazy oh and if your reading this RICH ITS NOT THE COOLER Iwill let you know how it goes should have yhe boat back this week Ihad a valve job done, bent one.

Quick Reply: leaning issue again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.