Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Do you have a procharged 29 outlaw? >

Do you have a procharged 29 outlaw?

Notices

Do you have a procharged 29 outlaw?

Old 09-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you have a procharged 29 outlaw?

My boat is for sale and if it does not sell I may procharge it. ANyone have some experience with a procharger in general?
Old 09-02-2005, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts
Default Re: Do you have a procharged 29 outlaw?

Prochargers superchargers are great,no problems with actual blower. There install support parts and tech help is less than stellar.If you are seriously mechanically inclined you will be fine but if you have to have someone do all the work and tuning plan on ALOT of trips back to installer. If you go big (m-3 etc) factor in alot of the hidden exspense. Plan on upgrading outdrives,buying several props,hydrailic steering if your boat doesn't have it,upgrading heads with new head gaskets and inconel valves,bigger oil cooler and lines,relocating components,hatch actuators,oil filter mounts etc,stronger ignition to clean up the idle from having less timing/higher octane etc.Plan on buying vacum boost gauges and fuel pressure gauges.Some boats(i don't know about the 29 o/l) you need to pull out back seat base and gas tk cover to re-plumb bigger lines from the tank. Also plan on buying 93 octane gas,they advertise you can run as low as 89 but don't do it. Call me if you have any serious questions,I have done this and know. There are a few guys who have bought m-1's and did virtually nothing to all the stuff I mentioned but that is a exception to the rule,Smitty 989-823-7319

Last edited by articfriends; 09-02-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 267 Likes on 148 Posts

One of Hawkeye's customers had one,
( 385's )
It ran about what my old 29 with HP500's
did, ( low 80's) only for about a minute or so.

It does clutter the already tight engine
compartment.

They do work, you just have to understand
how to drive them on a stock powerplant.

A friend of mine has a 98' 36 with 502's
procharged and has 400+ hours on it,
never been apart.

The key is, run it WOT for no longer than
1 minute at a time.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The key is, run it WOT for no longer than
1 minute at a time.

Well I'm out on that. What fun is that?
What are some other RELIABLE upgrades that yeild big bang for the buck on the 385 & 415 hp merc motors?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with Whipples if I was to do mine.......
Old 09-06-2005, 07:33 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I have come to like the VorTec Blowers.

I have spoken to three people recently running them with VERY good results. One has 400 hours on stock 500 EFI's and the only problem has been one head gasket.

They are a 100% COMPLETE kit. You get EVERYTHING needed.

The guy with 400 hours said it took him 20 hours to install the first one and only 8 hours to install the second one after he knew what to do.

A couple of nice things are that they INCLUDE an intercooler and they are much easier on your outdrives than the Whipple.

R-Tech makes a VERY nice system using the VorTec, but you have to add scoops to clear their intercooler.

You can run longer than one minute, but the best part is your cruise speed increases and you will probably not burn any more fuel at cruise.

Take a look at them. I just talked to Fred at Trick Marine and he gave me a good price. We may add them to the outlaw.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:14 AM
Registered

Smile Re: Do you have a procharged 29 outlaw?

I realize that I may be the exception to the rule but I have a Procharger M3-SC on my 2000 25 OL w/ a 502 and run at WOT for at least ten minutes at a time between Sea Isle City & Ocean City (South Jersey) and have never even had a hiccup. I bought the boat used and it already had the procharger installed so I had it serviced by a knowledgable mechanic and away I went but if I had the option now, I would not supercharge my motor. Too many add ons for ME, not in general..just for my liking. It's just too hard on the standard Bravo I, I'm going to have the drive upgraded with heavier duty parts after this season and have hydraulic steering installed as well (this is a must) as the unloading problem is not just annoying, it's dangerous ! Having said all of this, if you have the time, money, patience, and most importantly, a great mechanic who knows Mercs and Prochargers, go for it ! Good luck !!
Old 09-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Registered

Pro charge it go back to the mechanic??? My boat was in for less than a week. headers nose cone and hydraulic streering and msd too! He didn't use the belt next week tune in. Lee's Summit Mo. 180hrs on it no problems.