Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Raised x-dimension on 272 from factory?? >

Raised x-dimension on 272 from factory??

Notices

Raised x-dimension on 272 from factory??

Old 04-28-2006, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 861 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Raised x-dimension on 272 from factory??

I was flipping thru a auto/boat trader at work today and I saw something I have yet to ever see or hear of: a Baja 272 with a raised x-dimension from the factory. A guy has a ad for a 2000 Baja 272 w/502 mpi (same year and motor as mine when it was still stock),boat is completely stock but he says his local dealer always special ordered all the 272's he sold with a higher than stock x-dimension. Has any one ever heard of this,I haven't. He also said the dealer claimed it was good for 2-3 mph and that his boat runs 68-69 mph on a good day,66-67 loaded. We are at 600-1200 ft above sea level in michigan and I have NEVER ran against a stock 272 w/502 mpi that coould break 64 mph when matching speeds with my boat on gps. Mine ran 62 HONEST mph stock and under perfect conditions you could squeeze 63 or 64 out (labbed 23 merc,light load,2-3 miles of running,trimmed perfect etc). I have no interest in buying his boat (I already have one) so I didn't waste too much of his time on the phone but I am intrigued about this factory upgrade as it is unheard of for this model. I am debating a exstension box and 2" shortie drive on my boat and am still undecided. I have heard that they played with the x-dimension on certain 29/33 ft outlaws thru the years. My prop centerline with drive all the way down is about 8" below very bottom of the hull and I get the most speed out of my boat and always have (since going to 4 blade props) by trimming drive right to the max. Any one else ever heard of a factory modified 272,please post,Smitty
Old 04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Re: Raised x-dimension on 272 from factory??

Funny thing too is this guy has 300 hours on the boat and launches from the same place I do when I run the local river and in 6 years I have never seen him on the water.Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Raised x-dimension on 272 from factory??-boat-90-mph-026.jpg  
Old 05-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you buy your boat?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I bought my boat at Bay Harbor marina in Bay City Mi,the salesman made a big deal about the "lab finished" 23 pitch prop but never mentioned mine having a raised x-dimension. My prop centerline is 8" below pad (lowest point on hull) so I don't imagine its raised at all. I have never heard of a 272 with any kind of factory perf mods like this,Smitty
Old 05-02-2006, 04:36 AM
Registered

I've bought two boats from them.They had the x raised on my 98 25' Outlaw,who was your salesman?I dealt with Art and Matt and it didn't seem like a big deal to have it done.I can't remember how much it was raised.I saw that same 272 in the trader.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:20 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldnt think the dealer would be raising it,Maybe when you order one new have them rig it raised.Never heard of it either .

Sounds like a good sales person

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BURNSMAZZ
I've bought two boats from them.They had the x raised on my 98 25' Outlaw,who was your salesman?I dealt with Art and Matt and it didn't seem like a big deal to have it done.I can't remember how much it was raised.I saw that same 272 in the trader.
I bought my boat from Art also, nice guys but of course they are supposed to be if they want to sell anything. Now there service department on the other hand-TOTALLY INCOMPETENT RETARDS! I was going to sue them after they ripped my motor apart in the boat under warranty because it burned too much oil then let it freeze in there parking lot AFTER I called twice before a cold spell insisting they put it indoors or winterize it. Instead I took it out of there and fixed it myself and just said screw the warranty,its blower time! I take it you special ordered your boat in because they didn't re-work your transom in the service department . They are no longer a Baja dealer for a reason,Smitty
Old 05-03-2006, 05:00 AM
Registered

Art said he ordered from the factory that way.Haven't dealt with their service department other than one warranty issue and an oil change ,I know Brad in the fiberglass shop is real good.I can't really say anything bad about those guys,they've all treated me pretty well up there.I know my 25 was faster than most other 25 Outlaws with comparable power.

Last edited by BURNSMAZZ; 05-03-2006 at 05:13 AM.