Installing a generator question

Notices

Installing a generator question

Old 08-31-2006, 01:13 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a generator question

I'm looking at a 03 302 with shore power and air. It doesn't have a generator however I'd like to know how hard and expensive would it be to have a generator installed and hooked up? Has anyone done this before and what kind of problems can I look for--if any????? Also any suggestions on brands of generators. I know Busta has a generator in his 30 so I know that they will fit--just don't know the particulars. Thanks for the help--
Jay
Old 08-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Installing a generator question

I talked to the ski dock about putting one in the 36. They said it goes under the back seat, wanted 10k installed!!! Then they also said if it needs service, you have to pull the back seat.

Phuck that, I bought a Honda Eu2000, strap it on the swim platform. I get 7hrs of a/c on 1 gallon of gas. $899.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Phuck that, I bought a Honda Eu2000, strap it on the swim platform. I get 7hrs of a/c on 1 gallon of gas. $899.
I did exactly the same thing about three years ago!

You can use it any where and every where. Of course we have a huge advantage with our aluminum swim platform as compared to the 302 which has the smallest swim platform in the industry.

If you go this way contact Keith "KR1276" here on the board. He is a Baja owner and I have purchased two of these generators from him and the price and service was excellent.

With a permanent mount generator you will have a lot of expense. Electrical panel, plumbing for water intake and exhaust, fuel supply, mounting, etc.

But the major problem is ROOM to put it. We have a friend that has the miniture unit in his 38 Donzi under the seat and they actually built the boat around it. Would be a major problem if he had to repair or replace it.

Baja just does not offer enough space in the engine compartment on the majority of their boats for one.

Good luck Jay and keep us posted.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Bajarunner & Dock,
As usual your information is appreciated very much. I looked at Busta's set up and your right--tight--tight--tight. My only comment about the price the ski dock gave is "el torro pu pu". Dock, I sent your buddy a PM and hope to get an answer soon. Jason, Next time we get together I'd like to take a look at your set up. The 302 I'm looking at has an "extended swim platform"--what ever the hell that is--but it sure looks wide. I'll let you know what I find out--wannna get some info on this before I get really serious about selling our 275 and jumping into that twin engine beast--90 gallons in mine is expensive enough--maybe i can just run around on one of the twins if I buy it --I was also thinking about a 36 that may soon be on the market --sure has lots of bling already and I hear it runs pretty good toooooo--the only thing is I don't want to be responsible for the wife killing her husband -----just kidding Dock!!!!
Old 08-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 542 Posts

If you get a hold of 'excursion' here on OSO... He has semi-permanently mounted a Honda EU2000i in the engine compartment of his 37 Active Thunder. It has been tested, and the exhaust exits correctly and safely, and it has been tested for CO emissions. He also sleeps with no less than 4 CO detectors on the boat when running the AC/Gen.

It works pretty well.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Jay,

You are too funny.

I'm going to have to get Barb to straighten you out!!!!

On the extended platform, what they do is add an extra platform on the moulded in one. That is a good idea actually.

Keep us posted.

Dock
Old 09-01-2006, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jay I have to agree with Dock, go with the Honda. Putting a marine Gen Set in is a lot of work to run plumbing and panel.
I just bought a new 5KW Westerbeke, the best price i could find was $5300.
I used to run a Honda on my Donzi and they work great.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:22 PM
Registered

As noted above, my 3kw Westerbeke is very tight and if any major work was needed, I would have to pull the entire back seat which would require taking the side panels off, etc. I can still change the oil and spark plugs without removing the seat but it's a pain. Just to change the spark plugs, I have to take the exhaust off.

David (CustomTouch) also has a perm mounted generator in the engine compartment of his 29. It sits on the side of the port motor. It's one of those quiet Honda's (1000KW, I think) and powers his a/c, TV, DVD, etc. Pretty sweet setup!

Last edited by Busta; 09-06-2006 at 11:29 AM.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:52 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 632 Likes on 293 Posts

Custom touch did it right. I saw it at a poker run on Grand a few years back. nice clean install and Cold A/C.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Registered

Jay,

I am the Honda Dealer Doc is talking about. I had a 38 Special without a gen and used a Honda 2000 for years. I repowered and even had a deal on a generator to install and decided to keeip using a 2000. I ahve since purchased a 442 with a generator and it is far more of a headache than I ever had with Honda.

PM me if you are interested or call me on my cell.

Keith
813-310-4987