Speed of 29 OL with twin Mags? >

Speed of 29 OL with twin Mags?

Notices

Speed of 29 OL with twin Mags?

Old 11-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Speed of 29 OL with twin Mags?

Anyone able to tell me what top speed to expect out of a 29 OL with stock 496Mags? What top speed does the same boat go with HO's? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Speed of 29 OL with twin Mags?

Iv'e got an 2001 with HO's and I have hit 77.2 GPS. The previous owner said he hit 78.6, but I haven't seen that...yet.
I have 2 sets of props... the 77 came from labbed 27p 3 blade mirrages. I also have a set of 26p Bravo 4 blades labbed by mercury racing. The boat over revs with the 26's but they bite much better in rough water. (Lake Erie)
Hope that helps!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Registered

I just bought a nice 29 OL with Mag HO's. On a hot day 85-90 degrees plus here in florida, lots of gas and 3 adults in the boat, I see 76-77 on the gaffrig speedo hitting the limiters with labbed 26" props. I would like to see an honest 80 someday, but would have to do some type of modification I think. Haven't tried any other prop yet, or GPS'd for "official" speed. I would guess a non-HO boat would see 72 ish.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

71-73 w/496 and with ho's 76-78
Old 11-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2003 29OL with 496 HO's In Spring with me and a passenger 1/2 tank fuel I hit 80 on the gps right at 5000 RPM. I hit this a few times in the april/may time frame. Since the FL heat I have only seen 78 GPS. right about 4800 RPMs trim out about 7-8. Anymore and I get some chine walk.

Hoping to click the 80 mark again now in the cooler water. The FLorida gulf waters in the summer are 90 degress. Water temp is now down to mid 70's. Havent had a change to run out. Last few times out have been with the family. I kept the speeds in check with the 4 yr old on board
Would love todo some props 28 labbed. but really want to upgrade to a 33OL. Just you cant find insurance in Fl. Well if you want to pay 4-10K a year
Old 11-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by weekend warrior
I just bought a nice 29 OL with Mag HO's. On a hot day 85-90 degrees plus here in florida, lots of gas and 3 adults in the boat, I see 76-77 on the gaffrig speedo hitting the limiters with labbed 26" props. I would like to see an honest 80 someday, but would have to do some type of modification I think. Haven't tried any other prop yet, or GPS'd for "official" speed. I would guess a non-HO boat would see 72 ish.
Thanks everyone, that helps. Confirms that I would want the HO's. Weekend Warrior: Did you buy the 02 29OL out of Muscokee, OK from Mr. McQueen?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Registered

Yes I bought the 29 OL from Mr. McQueen. It was as he said...in fantastic shape, it looked almost like showroom condition. I did not go to OK to see it first - only saw it through the pics he e-mailed to me. Only one gripe - he said the motors had approx 82 or 85 hours on them when he sold it. I had the local dealer check it out on the diagnostic meter when I had a gear lube alarm go off and the motors actually had 220 hours on them. Still not bad, but a far cry from the 85 that I was told. The hour meters had loose wires to them, so that may have been part of the "confusion", still, that's a big difference from 85 to 220 hrs. I WAS QUITE DISAPPOINTED TO DISCOVER THAT. It ran great til the other day when the starboard motor suddenly died at approx. 4K RPM. The ECM died - which is a $1638.10 price tag just for the computer! OUCH!!!!

Last edited by weekend warrior; 11-10-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hour meters had loose wires to them, so that may have been part of the "confusion", still, that's a big difference from 85 to 220 hrs. I WAS QUITE DISAPPOINTED TO DISCOVER THAT.
Id be more than disappointed
Old 11-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Registered

Yes I bought the 29 OL from Mr. McQueen. It was as he said...in fantastic shape, it looked almost like showroom condition. I did not got to OK to see it first - only saw it through the pics he e-mailed to me. Only one gripe - he said the motors had approx 82 or 85 hours on them when he sold it. I had the local dealer check it out on the diagnostic meter when I had a gear lube alarm go off and the motors actually had 220 hours on them. Still not bad, but a far cry from the 85 that I was told. The hour meters had loose wires to them, so that may have been part of the "confusion", still, that's a big difference from 85 to 220 hrs. I WAS QUITE DISAPPOINTED TO DISCOVER THAT. It ran great til the other day when the starboard motor suddenly died at approx. 4K RPM. The ECM died - which is a $1638.10 price tag just for the computer! OUCH!!!!
Holy Crap!!!!! I'd be ready to ring his neck!!! He and I had a falling out after I had multiple questions about the boat. I asked what all maintanence he had done and the fuel pump had just been replaced. He had no manners to say the least and had something bad to say about lots of people. The trailer folks, possible buyers, etc. I think he was angry that he still owned the boat, but wanted to buy another one. PM me if you don't mind sharing what you paid for the boat. Did you get his galv trailer too?

Last edited by imartin; 11-15-2006 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Registered

Yes - I have the tandem axle aluminum trailer that he bought prior to the sale which is nice. The boat is in great shape, but is currently in the shop for a new computer and impellers. A new computer will cost me over $1600 not including labor. I figured on new impellers since he said that they had never been changed. The mechanic gave me the old ones which were very worn. I suppose a computer could have gone at any time, but I was NOT happy with the engine hour issue at all, but what can I do about it? He also did not refund part of my down payment as we agreed. Other that these two issues, all things considered, I like the boat. It's hard to find one in good shape, nice color combination and with Mag HO's.

Last edited by weekend warrior; 11-10-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Speed of 29 OL with twin Mags?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.