Water not flowing from exhaust at idle >

Water not flowing from exhaust at idle

Notices

Water not flowing from exhaust at idle

Old 02-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff1000man
Sometimes if you hook a hose up at in a residential neighborhood, or on an older house you cannot get enough water volume to fully supply the cooling system. Have you noticed weather the hose is being sucked together. I have this problem at my house. If I hook it to a well or high volume supply, I have no preoblem. Also there is no problem at the lake.

Check you valves also. If it is not totaly cut off from fresh water pick up, then you are not getting proper water routing, and thus lower water flow.

No temp alarm. CO2 detector went off, as it was started in cold warehouse. Pump was used to drain block of anti-freeze. Turned capt call on and then off. Neither position made a difference. Did not see hose getting sucked up or collapsing. Odd thing was, it was both engines at different times. So, shop thought unlikely for both impellers to be out.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:27 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

I replace the impellers every year regardless......60-70 bucks is worth the piece of mind.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by imartin
No temp alarm. CO2 detector went off, as it was started in cold warehouse. Pump was used to drain block of anti-freeze. Turned capt call on and then off. Neither position made a difference. Did not see hose getting sucked up or collapsing. Odd thing was, it was both engines at different times. So, shop thought unlikely for both impellers to be out.

Water will flow from hose presure without impellors installed. I don't have any more suggestions for you though. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes the impellors have a problem with the coolant that was put in when they were winterized. You may have to open up the blue drains by the impellor housings and let the water flush out the coolant.
Old 02-24-2007, 07:52 AM
Registered

All great feedback and suggestions. Will keep on "flushing out" this situation when I go to get the boat. No pun intended....

Thanks guys.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 550 Posts

How were they winterized? (With antifreeze run through the system, or just pumped the air out?) If you just pumped out the air, you have to hit the release valve on top of the forward SB side of the motor to release the air pressure so water can displace the air.

Were the belts loosened? (Some shops do this.)

REGARDLESS, if you ran with no water coming out he exhaust for 25 seconds, you need to replace the impellers. Even if you have good water pressure eventually, you have weakened the impellers' integrity, and you need new ones. Better now, than in the middle of the lake on 4th of July weekend.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. EAR MUFFS SUCK for flushing motors/hose starts. You need to have fresh water flush fittings plumbed into the sea water side of the cooling system. This is THE BEST way to use a garden hose and fire your motor, bar none.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the angle that your hose goes into the muffs. I used to use the muffs made by Merc. They were the type with the pin that goes thru the inlet holes. The hose inlet on those muffs was posititioned at a 45 degree angle. If the muffs were installed with the hose pointed towards to front of the boat, no water would enter the inlet and it would all spill out the muffs. I had to make sure that the hose was pointed towards the prop.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Registered

Thanks. It was a merc muff with the rod that slides through the drive. Hose did not seem kinked and was parallel to the transom. Water was coming out from around the muffs. Boat has not given a problem in the past. I think it was last run in late September.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
How were they winterized? (With antifreeze run through the system, or just pumped the air out?) If you just pumped out the air, you have to hit the release valve on top of the forward SB side of the motor to release the air pressure so water can displace the air.

Were the belts loosened? (Some shops do this.)

REGARDLESS, if you ran with no water coming out he exhaust for 25 seconds, you need to replace the impellers. Even if you have good water pressure eventually, you have weakened the impellers' integrity, and you need new ones. Better now, than in the middle of the lake on 4th of July weekend.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. EAR MUFFS SUCK for flushing motors/hose starts. You need to have fresh water flush fittings plumbed into the sea water side of the cooling system. This is THE BEST way to use a garden hose and fire your motor, bar none.
I'm thinking Brian is right. You probably need to take the air pressure off the heat exchanger by "popping" the valve off. That would definitely cause your issue and cause water to enter the bilge while you were trying to flush it out.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

you guys already have it, I think, Take off air pressure, if you ran it much without doing that, you might as well replace impellers as well , to save a breakdown on the water

Quick Reply: Water not flowing from exhaust at idle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.