"03 Outlaw air intakes >

"03 Outlaw air intakes

Notices

"03 Outlaw air intakes

Old 09-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "03 Outlaw air intakes

I get a ton of water in the bilge when it rains b/c cockpit does not cover the intakes. Anyone else? A fix? I'm in need of a new cockpit cvr so I thought that I'd ask now. Also what is ballpark price for a new cvr and is Baja the only source for same. TIA
Old 09-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Cover your vents with shrink wrap tape.

http://www.dr-shrink.com/

Get the Heat Shrink Tape, NOT the Preservation Tape.

This also works VERY well for taping down the front of your cockpit cover for when you want to tow with it on.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:01 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

I would think a full mooring cover is better suited to outdoor storage than the standard cockpit cover.

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Get the Heat Shrink Tape, NOT the Preservation Tape.
I think that should be the other way around. Heat Shrink tape is not for use on the hull since it leaves a residue. The Preservation tape will not leave a residue and is designed to be used on the hull.

I buy all my stuff from Dr. Shrink.

This is from their site.

"Heat Shrink Tapes come in 2", 4" and 6" widths by 180'. They are designed for repairing holes in the shrinkwrap, for taping pleats and also for attaching zipper access doors. Heat shrink tape is not designed to be stuck to the hull or other parts of the boats as it will leave an adhesive residue.

Preservation Tapes, on the other hand, contain Ultra Violet Inhibitors that allow this tape to be stuck directly to the hull and not leave an adhesive residue when it is removed. "
Old 09-04-2007, 10:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

Their Preservation Tape has stronger adhesive. If you have paint over your gelcoat, you want to use the Heat Shrink Tape. The P-T is "gooier" if that is a word once heated by the sun. The Heat Shrink tape stays pretty much in its original form, and comes off clean, quick and easy.

I know it sounds backwards, but I have tried both. I don't leave ANY tape on the boat/cover for more than 48 hours or so.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fatdaddy
I get a ton of water in the bilge when it rains b/c cockpit does not cover the intakes. Anyone else? A fix? I'm in need of a new cockpit cvr so I thought that I'd ask now. Also what is ballpark price for a new cvr and is Baja the only source for same. TIA
I just leave the plugs out, when the cockpit cover is on. The shipping cover is sweet from Baja, has the ratchet strap tighteners on both sides, this one covers everything above the rub-rail. The shipping cover was a standard item with the Baja and can be re-ordered.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Registered

This might be a cheap easy fix, but I haven't tried it myself.

Try the new clear plastic wrap that you can press and seal and can get at any grocery store. It may be strong enough stay on for a few days and wouldn't have any sticky residue to worry about.

If it doesn't work, give it to the wife so she can wrap sandwiches and leftovers.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Phastenuf
This might be a cheap easy fix, but I haven't tried it myself.

Try the new clear plastic wrap that you can press and seal and can get at any grocery store. It may be strong enough stay on for a few days and wouldn't have any sticky residue to worry about.

If it doesn't work, give it to the wife so she can wrap sandwiches and leftovers.
I tried it. It doesn't stick. Thanks anyway.