Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
20 Outlaw vs 22' Scarab -- Opinions? >

20 Outlaw vs 22' Scarab -- Opinions?

Notices

20 Outlaw vs 22' Scarab -- Opinions?

Old 09-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 971 Likes on 441 Posts
Default 20 Outlaw vs 22' Scarab -- Opinions?

I'm looking for opinions on the Baja 20 Outlaw, vs. a 95-98 Scarab 22'. I think the overall length of either should be pretty close, which is a big deal for storage for me, but I'm looking for opinions on why I should choose one over the other (I'm assuming I'm going to hear that the Baja is the better choice in this forum, but I'd like to hear some reasoning as to why -- build quality, rougher water handling, etc)

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:01 AM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by agchoset
I'm assuming I'm going to hear that the Baja is the better choice in this forum, but I'd like to hear some reasoning as to why -- build quality, rougher water handling, etc

Thanks!
You did not say which year Outlaw. There are two generations and each are built differently.

I think to get a fair comparison between these two boats, you will need to either find someone that has experience with both boats or just find a few and test them out yourself.

I owned a 2003 20 Outlaw. The boat held up very well, rode very well for a 20 footer and offered great performance with the small block as well as very good fuel economy. My best GPS speed was a hair over 62.

First, be honest with yourself and the boats, neither would be what I would call a rough water boat. These are lake boats that will handle some nice chop and boat wakes well but get them in anything more than that and you will feel it. If you are comparing to other boats in the 20 foot range then the 21 degree deadrise of the Outlaw will offer a better ride and the Scarab should feel about the same since they are 22 degree. In short, you will be much more comfortable in the chop than the family in the Sea Ray or Four Winns.

I only had two complaints about my Outlaw. One, the cuddy is good for nothing more than storage but that is a given. Two, the stock 23p prop is good for speed, but if you plan on doing watersports, plan on a change to a four blade since the time to plane with the 23 is quite slow.

I will say the 20 will take more abuse than you would be able to stand in it. They are a stout little boat. I ran mine through two poker runs and although it was not the smoothest ride, the boat never develped any rattles, stress cracks, or gel fractures.

As I said, the best thing to do is get some seat time in both boats and make your own decision. Most of what you will hear from non-Baja owners is going to be bashing without any experience with the Outlaw and I doubt you will find many folks with seat time in both boats that can give an educated oppinion.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Registered

I had a 2002 OL20. It was a good lake boat, but it is not really much for rough water. Sit down seating, quirky trim on steering, not throttle. Mine had the 5.0 fuel injected 260hp, and with a load of people had a hard time getting on plane. If you want to pull skiiers/tubes, you may want to get trim tabs to help it get out of the hole. I think my top end was about 60 on the speedo, I don't know what it would have been on gps.

I traded up to a 25OL to get closer to the rough water capabilities I was wanting.

I didn't compare my 20 to a 22 Scarab, so I don't know how close they compare. Look at both and decide what type of boating you expect to do and which will best suit your purposes
Old 09-14-2007, 09:19 AM
Registered

Believe me, I'm under no false illusion that either one is a capable rough water boat -- it's mostly going to be used in the intracoastal waterway in south florida, with maybe an occasional trip along the shore if the seas are calm.

Probably no skiing/tubing, not really my thing.

As far as the different generations of the outlaw -- when was the cutoff? What were the differences? My price range is ideally in the sub-20K range, preferably 16K or below, so that rules out anything very new.

I appreciate the input, any more opinions are welcome!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:35 AM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

As far as the different generations of the outlaw -- when was the cutoff? What were the differences? My price range is ideally in the sub-20K range, preferably 16K or below, so that rules out anything very new.

I appreciate the input, any more opinions are welcome!

The new generation goes from late 2002-current.
The first generation ran up to 1998. There was no 20 from 1999-2001.

You should be able to get into a 2002-2003 for upper teens if not a little lower. I have been in both generations and I would rather spend a little more and get the new technology. The 2nd gen 20 uses a composite stringer grid system and is a liner built boat. They are easier to keep clean and there is no wood in the stringers to rot out. It also has a bigger fuel tank and better performance in my opinion.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Registered

That's exactly the type of info I was looking for. Keep em coming, if anyone has anything to add! Thanks!!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Registered

If you'll be using your new ride in primarily offshore (rougher) waters,
I would suggest you consider the additional deadrise and weight of a 232 or 23OL as well.

Because of the euro-style transom, the 232 is actually a 22' hull,
however pushing 3900# with a 23* deadrise, it handles offshore waters wonderfully.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by StillHaulin@63
If you'll be using your new ride in primarily offshore (rougher) waters,
I would suggest you consider the additional deadrise and weight of a 232 or 23OL as well.

Because of the euro-style transom, the 232 is actually a 22' hull,
however pushing 3900# with a 23* deadrise, it handles offshore waters wonderfully.
I wish I could -- but the garage I'll be using for storage is only 25' long, so I can only get so much boat in there... I really doubt the 232 could make it in there, unless someone has done so?

Really, it's mostly going to be an inland water boat for me... so the rough stuff isn't as much of a concern.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:50 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

I wish I could -- but the garage I'll be using for storage is only 25' long.

You will be close, but I think you will fit depending on the trailer the boat sits on. The 20 Outlaw is 21'11" over all length with the swim platform. figure an even 22.5 with the drive up so that leaves you about 2.5 feet for trailer tongue. I know a friend of mine with a 202 turns his drive to the side to gain a few inches in his garage.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen a lot of good buys on Hammers. I would take a hard look at those also. Old style construction which I perfer and they are a good boat.

Quick Reply: 20 Outlaw vs 22' Scarab -- Opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.