95 Baja 272 Opinions? >

95 Baja 272 Opinions?

Notices

95 Baja 272 Opinions?

Old 11-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
I think the 25 Outlaw is the same lower hull. The swim platform is just integrated on the 272.
Here's my '97 Boss 272 with the optional windscreen. I ran 86 gps all summer with a M3SC procharger on a 509. Going through it as we speak because of Felpro head gaskets.
Thanks,Kenyo
That's kindda what I thought. Doesn't the outlaw have a flat deck...IE less height in the cabin compared to a 272? If so the wife will want the 272. LOL!
Old 11-27-2007, 04:17 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

NO,,, The hulls are not the same,,,, the outlaw is actually narrower then the 272.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:43 AM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hulls on a 272 and 25OL are very similar in overall dimension, depth of vee and shape of the chines. However the OL has a slightly larger pad and has additionally a notched transom. The cut back outer chines that it shares with the 33 differentiate it from the 272(I believe) but are just a styling detail, as they don´t spend much time in the water at all.
The OL does seem to run a little tighter on the water at 60+ speeds, but is slower out of the hole. I feel (I´ve driven both and we have them standing next to each other) that the Outlaw is a little heavier built, which is good if you are building a hot rod boat that is going to run 70+ speeds.
They are both great boats, and Smitty has proved that you can run a 272 up to 98 mph and live, so there is plenty of potential, either way.

Things to watch for on a used 272. Basically applies to any used Baja - check the condition and rigidity of the seat mounts and the central panel over the tank. When an OL or Performance has seen some heavy use, they work loose. It´s not a killer problem (can be fixed with new bolts and some resin work) but will help you work the price down!!!

The panel under the helm allows you to look up inside the dash to see if the harness has been messed with.

Condition of the headlining in the cabin tells alot. Any leaks at the hatches or rubstrip will show up there.

Stress cracks, if any, you may find at the rear corners of the deck behind the sunpad, or at the lower left corner of the cabin door opening.

Great boat. Get the seller to mail you alot of detail pictures before you drive 1000 miles.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Registered

the boat that you are looking at is it in the bay city michigan area?
is the broker freshwaterboats?
what has the broker told you about the boat.
Old 12-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by krmp
the boat that you are looking at is it in the bay city michigan area?
is the broker freshwaterboats?
what has the broker told you about the boat.
Yes he was! Why? I ended up buying a much better deal than the price I offered for the boat!
Old 12-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Registered

I have my 97 272 for sale now. Great boat but I was ready to move up to something bigger. My 272 has a 510 in it with a procharger and intercooler. It has pro 1 aluminum heads custom ground cam. I had it dynoed and tuned by Tyler Crocket. It made 750 hp and 740 ft lbs of torque. I put k- planes and a xr drive on it runs 86 to 88 all day on gps. It has internal hydraulic steering witch is a must when you get up into the mid 80's. If anybody knows of someone looking for a fast 272 send me a pm and I can send a bunch of pictures...Dean
Old 12-16-2007, 09:25 PM
Registered

may be going to have a look at the boat over the next few days .
just curious to hear some input before i go.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

PM me with a Phone # or email addy and I will be glad to talk with you. Sounds like a nice boat.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 886 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by NEVER - SATISFIED
I have my 97 272 for sale now. Great boat but I was ready to move up to something bigger. My 272 has a 510 in it with a procharger and intercooler. It has pro 1 aluminum heads custom ground cam. I had it dynoed and tuned by Tyler Crocket. It made 750 hp and 740 ft lbs of torque. I put k- planes and a xr drive on it runs 86 to 88 all day on gps. It has internal hydraulic steering witch is a must when you get up into the mid 80's. If anybody knows of someone looking for a fast 272 send me a pm and I can send a bunch of pictures...Dean
What kind of prop and rpm's are you turning,my 272 ran 83.5 to 85's with 750 hp off the same dyno turning a labbed 30 pitch bravo. Always curious to hear what kind of set-up guys have on their 272's,Smitty
Old 01-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Registered

Hey Smitty I'm running a labbed 32 bravo that has had some work. Best pass on the boat has been 87.8 on gps at 5700. I don't run it that hard often usually run it up to 82 or 83 for a short blast. I went through the motor and it's run perfect for 2 years. I have a xr drive and k-planes with alot more upgrades. I have it for sale if you know of anybody looking for a nice boat. I think you did some gears for some of the guys I boat with Thomas Carneal and Chris Dann in a 29 Fountain. They got that up to 103 this summer.

Quick Reply: 95 Baja 272 Opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.