Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
How Much Horsepower >

How Much Horsepower

Notices

How Much Horsepower

Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you that a heavy 36 with around 725 hp will run a legit 86. I hope to tell you that it will go 94 with 825 per side this summer. I also need to try std length drives as well because my 1" shorter drives have cost me some speed.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Registered

I was told by Tyler Crockett that it takes 16 hp to go 1mph in most boats on twins you only count one side
Old 02-11-2008, 12:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
I can tell you that a heavy 36 with around 725 hp will run a legit 86. I hope to tell you that it will go 94 with 825 per side this summer. I also need to try std length drives as well because my 1" shorter drives have cost me some speed.
Smitty I would add 100 lbs to the stern ,you will get some bow lift ,less wetted surface and your props will bite your slip facter should drop if theres no difference I have every sieze spacer 1/2 to 1.1/2
Old 02-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 884 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy
I was told by Tyler Crockett that it takes 16 hp to go 1mph in most boats on twins you only count one side
You do realize though as you go faster it takes more hp to gain a mph. For example-a boat at 60 may increase a mph with 12 hp per side buit that same boat at 95 may need 25 hp per side,Smitty
Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
VIP Member

Thanks Crayola

I will try the weight and if that doesn't work I will be calling to try some spacers !!

Thanks

Smitty
Old 04-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
I'm with you as far as getting the 40 to go faster, however...

After running a triple, I have found there is 1 variable that HP just cant fix alone, that is efficiancy.

With having the 3rd drive lower in the water and the hull spitting the water out the back, the props appear to cut the water much more efficiantly, thus pushing the boat through the water.

I also think having the third motor sitting forward, the weight is better distributed. Now if twins w/staggerd stance were installed that too would help the issue.

We have also played with our x dimenssion and that too has made better speed.

Smaller triples do aquate to the same speed with less wear/break issues.

It sure will be interesting to see what Baja's new poker run boat will run with the 700's. I have been told there is ALSO many changes to the 40, weight savings, pad, notch etc. It's going to be a great next couple of weeks when it is shown /ran in public for the first time openly...

Brian,

You and I discussed this before and I find it very interesting.
I have only rode on one boat with triples and it was an older Outerlimits and he runs a shortie in the center.

I hope you have a very nice boating season.

Dock
Old 04-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Sounds good to me!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

I keep running the numbers over and over and have to agree with you on the 94 MPH speed. We are taking the 36 off the market and going to drop the big power in it and see what happens. If I am not close to 94 I will be surprised. Once I get a feel for it and see where we are I plan to change the blower pulley and see once and for all what the real top speed will be with 900 HP per side.

Project "FAST36" is back on.

Baja before Fountain
Old 05-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Dock,

Thanks for you latest decision. I was worried about you even though I knew whatever direction you went it would be nice. I want to see what your speed is going to be as well.

Mark
Old 05-02-2008, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Dock,

Sounds like a plan. You have a beautiful boat that is all sorted out. I always thought you should keep it. I just got my shortblocks home wed nite, so I will be busy assembling them to get ready for the dyno. Did you dyno the engines with Mark?? If so can you PM me with the final HP numbers?? I estimate I should be between 825-875 when done. We should be real close to each other speed wise, but I am suffering a little with the shorter drives. Lets keep each other posted .

Thanks,
Smitty

Quick Reply: How Much Horsepower

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.