New Baja 232 >

New Baja 232

Notices

New Baja 232

Old 02-22-2002, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Baja 232

Hello People

I’m Currently looking to buy a New 2002 Baja 232 has my first boat and was wonder what
your thoughts were about this boat and the package the dealer is offering.

Baja 232, Boss I graphics w/ windshield Merc. MX 6.2l (320hp) / Bravo one / SS prop / Side Water Pick up for Bravo Driver
Thru hull w/ Corsa Quick and Quiet II, Kiekhaeffer Control (White w/trim in handle), Trim Tabs, Gaffriq Gauge Panel set-red Bezels,
Compass, Depth Finder (Lawrence), Pop-up SS cleats, Aero Drop down Bolsters, Red Custom Eagle Trailer, Head, Coast guard package, Sunbrella Cockpit cover and complete boat cover, Second battery tray and switch

Five (5) years engine warranty

$46,960.00

1.9% financing for first two years and 6.9% for the remaining years.

Any thoughts would be helpful
Bill Coffield
Old 02-22-2002, 02:30 PM
Registered

bcoffield,

First of all: Welcome. Or should I say: What took ya so long to post?

Second: The numbers you are talking about sound just about right. Maybe a tad high on the boat price by a couple of G's.

The 232 makes a perfect first boat.

Have fun!!!!
Old 02-22-2002, 06:10 PM
BucketHead

Bill,

The 232 is a nice choice. I think the price is inline from what I have seen. When I was in North Carolina a few weeks ago looking at a 272 with a buddy of mine, I noticed and asked the dealer about the 232 sitting next to it.

It was a BRAND NEW untitled 2000 model that really looked sharp. It was on a red eagle trailer and had the 7.4 (454) engine. The thing I liked was that it had the fairing like an outlaw instead of the windshield. He told me that Baja took it back from a dealership that closed and they were selling it at cost. If memory serves me they wanted $32,000 boat trailer and all. It really looked sharp. Check out my section under cleanest 272 and there is a link to these guys. I bet they would include the extended warranty and that would be a $14000 savings.

Either way I know you will be happy with your choice.

Roger

Old 02-22-2002, 10:10 PM
Registered

We looked at a 2002 232 with almost if not the same options that you listed. It was at the boat show and I believe the price was 38900. They were offering the same 1.9 finance deal too. I'm not sure if the trailer was included in the price.
My wife loved the boat and it took an hour to get her out of it.

The dealer was Cherryland in Traverse City and Kalkaska, Mi.
Give them a call at 1-877-968-BAJA
Old 03-02-2002, 03:15 AM
Miss Baja

Bill,

Did you get my e-mail? Just wanted to make sure. I'm finally up and running on OSO now so I can post replies.

Good luck with the 232!!!

Old 03-02-2002, 12:10 PM

Miss Baja

Yes I got your email and thanks for the reply.

Do you remember how much your boat with it's option listed for?
If so could you reply with that info and a quick list of options.

Just tring to get a feel for how much (based on %) the dealer should take of the list price.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:59 AM
Miss Baja

Bill,

Sorry for the delay in response, I'm not on OSO very often. To answer your question, I paid $32900 for my 1997 232. The options are as follows:

Electric Captains Call
Tilt
Compass
Depth Finder
Swim Ladder
SS prop
Drop down Bolsters
removable face cassette stereo w/ remote
cockpit cover
mooring cover
cockpit carpet
7.4l engine

I wouldn't really worry about how much they discount from "list" because that number is fictional anyway. Just be sure you are happy with the final price. Dealers get special promotions, rebates, and kickbacks from the manufactures so some boats are better deals than other boats. Plus you might find a boat that's been sitting on the dealer's lot and they need to unload it so they'll discount the boat and take a smaller profit margin on the boat just to get rid of it. I would DEFINATELY take a boat the dealer has in stock....do NOT 'order' your boat....you'll get a much better deal that way. Boat shows are the BEST time to buy, the manufactures get involved and really offer great deals. You'll find the best financing then too because there is so much competition. It's worth waiting for a show to buy. Also, if you want some piece of mind, compare prices with other dealers not in your area. Baja has 'territories' and it's an unwritten rule that dealers can't sell into other dealers territory but that doesn't mean you can't get price quotes.....just don't tell ANY of the dealers you are 'comparing' to another Baja dealer.....they get VERY pissy about that.

Although my boat is over 4 years old, I think the price you got is a little high. You might be paying for the "boss" package, which doesn't really equate to a higher resale value when you go to move up. Be careful if you buy that package. When I was shopping for mine, it was a choice between taking the boat they had in stock or ordering a Boss package. The price difference was over $10,000 more for the Boss package boat. There is NO way anyone would pay that much more for a used boat, package or not. I really wanted the Boss graphics on the boat but they were NOT worth $10,000. You should price out a boat (preferably one they have in stock) with the same equipment as the Boss package boat....I think you will see the savings there. Ask around, other dealers, not just Baja dealers, if they would give more for a trade in just because it's Boss package. You'll find the answer is no.

Also, I am REALLY happy with the Electric Captain's Call exhaust, it's very nice to have a choice of quiet and loud. I would recomend the upgrade from the corsa quick and quiet.

Also, see if you can get Stainless Steel rubrail. I am soooooo sorry I didn't get this. Every year I toss around the idea of switching out the white rub rail to the stainless steel. This is ESPECIALLY important if it is your first boat. The white rubrail shows EVERYTHING and it is VERY hard to clean. It is true that the stainless will dent but it's much more durable to the little scratches from the docks and piers.

I can't stress enough how important it is to have a good relationship with the dealer. Make sure you are comfortable with them. It can really make or break it. A good dealer will really make boating much better for you. Make sure they are helpful, friendly and informative.

You will be very happy with the 232. It's a great boat. Also, it's a good thing you are getting the trim tabs. That's the one thing I wish I had done from the start. The boat really needs tabs to run comfortably on big water.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2003, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you use your tabs in rough water??? I have the 232 and I run often in rough water...
Old 04-01-2003, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by JS232
How do you use your tabs in rough water??? I have the 232 and I run often in rough water...
Simple rules of thumb.

You almost never want to use tabs in calm water unless you have an uneven load you would like to balance. Using tabs scrubs off speed and is generally going to increase fule usage. It also helps to stay on plane at slower speeds if that's desired.

In mild chop, setting them paralell to the boat's bottom is usually sufficient to smooth out the ride a little. You will notice that the nose will tend wander less and you'll be attacking on-coming waves rather than nosing up on them and bouncing around.

In heavier seas, a little more tab(past paralall) will help in settling the boat down.

Be careful to avoid too much tab down because the boat may have a tendancy to stuff the nose.

Differential tab usage(one more than the other) is also very helpful when quartering seas or in a crosswind. For instance, when quartering waves are hitting you from port, I like to use a little more tab on the port side...It'll help you from diving towards the port-side on the backs of those waves. The boat will stay more level.

Last edited by Baja Daze; 04-01-2003 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-01-2003, 08:52 AM

Well said Baja Daze, I couldn't agree more.

Quick Reply: New Baja 232

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.