Notices

shorties on a 2000 36 Outlaw

Old 08-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default shorties on a 2000 36 Outlaw

Has anyone ever tried them?

I know Baja played with drive height over the years, just curious if anyone has tested on the 2000 36 and what the results were.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dock had some on his. Ask him.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a friend that ran 1 inch shorties on a 2000 model 36 and it worked well but you need horsepower. He had 800 HP per side. On a stock power boat you may do okay since the "X" dimension was lower. I don't think you can make the 2 inch work for you.

On my 2002 model with the raised "X" I had a real bear of a time getting on plane with 1 inch shorties and did not see any gain in performance anywhere.

If you are adding horsepower they will benefit you over 80MPH and also if you are adding an extension box the 2 inch shorter may be the ticket.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

No,,,, 502 MPI with Stainless headers and the Arizona Speed and Marine kit ,,,,,,no plans for anything radical.

It runs side by side with my buddies 99 36 outlaw with 500 efi's.

Just curious if there was anything worthwhile in just adding shorties and what size.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:18 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obnoxus
No,,,, 502 MPI with Stainless headers and the Arizona Speed and Marine kit ,,,,,,no plans for anything radical.

It runs side by side with my buddies 99 36 outlaw with 500 efi's.

Just curious if there was anything worthwhile in just adding shorties and what size.
I would compare the "X" dimension to your buddies boat and see if you are higher. Since you are running with him and he has more power I bet his are deeper in the water. If so you probably will not gain anything except a longer planning time by going shorter. If they are the same "X" it may work but you cannot expect much for the money spent. Put your $$$ into horsepower and you will see the real gains.

Good luck and let us know what you and how it works out.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

I figure with my upgrades we are closer HP wise which would explain the running.

I was just hoping for some magic MPH since I knew Baja raised the X after my year, or 2001 ish.

Hey Dock,,, off topic,,,, you switched the snaps on the transom so you could tow with your cockpit cover right?

Do they get in the way sitting on the back, and were they quick direct replacements.

Going to LOTO for Labor Day and Id like to leave my cover on this time.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:48 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 and 1" shorties did not work. As a result of the switch I have actually LOST 2 mph and had to buy 5 blade labbed props just to help get me on plane. I am currently looking for spacers to get back to stock height so I can see if I get my speed back. Please take notes from my experiences !! I made too many changes at once. I had stock Bravo drives with 1.36 ratio gears. I then had new Xr drives built with 1.50 ratios and 1 " shorter Imco lowers. I did this all in the never ending quest to go faster. I changed to 1.50 gears because every body told me that was the way to go. I feel it was the wrong move. My boat was faster all the way from a dead stop to top speed with the 1.36 gears. I also went with shorties thinking it would help top speed. Wrong again !!! In my research I have found that shorties will only work on the bigger Baja's if you couple them with extension boxes. If you do not you will be sorry. As I result of the lowers I had to spend 3000.00 on labbed maximus props.

So in the end I have lost acceleration and speed and spent a boatload of money. End result of all this is that my boat will be going up for sale in 2009 and I am going to buy a hull that is capable of more speed with the amount of power I have.

Obnoxus--if you want maybe we can throw my drives on your boat sometime and see how it reacts ??? Let me know and if you want you can cal me and chat 847-902-9702

Later,

Smitty
Old 08-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Smitty,,,, generally speaking the 1:50 will be a better all around performing ratio until you start running out of prop choices.

I worked on a 36 years ago with boxes that didnt raise the x and it really affected the boat negativly ,,,, I would have liked to run that boat set up correctly.

If you ever find yourself with the lowers off for some reason I would appreciate making a run with them.

I have labbed 24's now and it jumps out of the hole with no slip at all which makes me question the drive height.

As you said,,, it takes alot of HP to push this hull so I wont be waisting cash trying to make this thing a rocket,,,, just getting the most out of what I have.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 05 36 with boxes XR's and 525's 30 labed 4 blades
the "X" was raised 1 inch , the gps says 78- 80 at 5250 rpm's
there are no other 36 outlaws where I boat so i dont know if these are good #'s or not. It comes out of the hole great. I've tryed other props with no gain. I think the set up works great
and the only way to go any faster would be big bucks on HP.does any one know what the pick in mph would be with shorites and boxes. thanks
Old 08-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I wouldn't go over 32" of propeller on a v-bottom. I think it is better to stay with a 30" or less propeller & drop the gear ratio.
Just me preference. No science behind it.
I would be shooting for a 4.5" drive height on a 36 measured from the propshaft center line to the point most directly ahead of the nose cone relative to the bottom of the boat. Turn the wheels in.
I've been around a few 36' & the drives all look like they are in the basement.
Again, just what I would try. Not saying that it would work.

Quick Reply: shorties on a 2000 36 Outlaw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.