Baja 272 - Stern jack ?

Notices

Baja 272 - Stern jack ?

Old 11-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 272 - Stern jack ?

Hi,

im from Germany so please sorry for my bad english !

I have a 97 Baja 272 with a brandnew 496HO running 66-68mph GPS(depending on load and weather).

Will a stern jack help me to get faster ? An extensionbox wont work - I wasted thousands of dollars...

Anybody experiences with a stern jack on a 272 ? On thier homepage they say that an increase of 6mph is possible !

Can somebody confirm this ?

best regards,

Norman
Old 11-06-2008, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm running one on my boat. It was on when I bought the boat. The guy said he picked up 4-5 mph. I was going to take it of and see when I put my Hyd. steering on but it was a pain so I didn't. My boat runs very well and I'm sure the sternjack has a lot to do with it. Your the second person who said the ext box doesn't work.

That being said, they are hard to find. I think you would be happy with it. I wish Smitty would put one on his boat and try it.
I ran 85mph gps last year with a 509 procharger and the sternjack. I know people running the same combo without the Jack and don't hit 80 mph so I think that is my magic bullet. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja272-racer
Hi,

im from Germany so please sorry for my bad english !

I have a 97 Baja 272 with a brandnew 496HO running 66-68mph GPS(depending on load and weather).

Will a stern jack help me to get faster ? An extensionbox wont work - I wasted thousands of dollars...

Anybody experiences with a stern jack on a 272 ? On thier homepage they say that an increase of 6mph is possible !

Can somebody confirm this ?

best regards,

Norman
Norman,I have seen stern jacks on a number of 272's,mostly with stock power or slightly modified and it seems to really work well. Land and sea discontinued production of stern jacks years ago (I think for liability reasons) so good luck finding a good used one,they are fetching 2000$ used these days for mint ones when they occasionally pop up for sale. Tell us the story of your exstension box and what you tried and the results you achieved,I too put one on my 272 and went slower and rode worse in every way possible,I get guys ARGUING with me still today about how good it should have worked. My 272 has over a 1000hp,it had 945 at the time I tried the box. My theory (along with b-blades and throttle up) is somehow the water coming off the pad causes a problem on 272's when you move the drive back. Even though my prop c/l is 7 1/2" IF you form a imaginary vee on the pad it's more like 5 1/2" compared to a true vee-hull. I also bought a 2" shortie this year and tried it (without the box),boat can't carry the bow correctly with it and has gained ZERO over std length drive,not what I was hoping,Smitty
Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 882 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
I'm running one on my boat. It was on when I bought the boat. The guy said he picked up 4-5 mph. I was going to take it of and see when I put my Hyd. steering on but it was a pain so I didn't. My boat runs very well and I'm sure the sternjack has a lot to do with it. Your the second person who said the ext box doesn't work.

That being said, they are hard to find. I think you would be happy with it. I wish Smitty would put one on his boat and try it.
I ran 85mph gps last year with a 509 procharger and the sternjack. I know people running the same combo without the Jack and don't hit 80 mph so I think that is my magic bullet. Good luck and keep us posted.
Kennyo,I looked for a used stern jack a few years ago and got out-bid on every one that came up on E-bay but even though it might gain me more speed I have decided against it due to the extra stress on the gimbal in my application. If I bought a imco hd gimbal I would considerit,your boat is the fastest 509 procharged 272 I have heard about without getting too exotic on the motor,I never ran those speeds until I was in the 750 hp range,Smitty
Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Kennyo,I looked for a used stern jack a few years ago and got out-bid on every one that came up on E-bay but even though it might gain me more speed I have decided against it due to the extra stress on the gimbal in my application. If I bought a imco hd gimbal I would considerit,your boat is the fastest 509 procharged 272 I have heard about without getting too exotic on the motor,I never ran those speeds until I was in the 750 hp range,Smitty
I agree. I thought my gps was wrong but it was very consistent with others. I kind of worry about the stress on the gimbal too. The Jack has to be what gets me that extra 4-5 mph over similar boats.

I never did get into the boost on my new engine this year. When I changed to the mefi4 I couldn't get my tune right. The last day I tried the drive blew at 4500rpm. Never got another chance to tune.
Time permitting I'm pulling the engine and tuning it on a dyno.
Poor old Eddie Young looked like a pinball trying to hold on and tune at the same time!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Registered

I had one on a 260 and it did nothing for speed.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Registered

I had a '91 260. I loved the room it had, but it was a flat bottom slug. I can't imagine a stern jack helping that heavy boat either. Mine ran 70 mph on a 496(stroked). It felt like a 100mph at the time!
Old 11-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Registered

I agree 100%, the room was great. The rest of the boat sucked. Mine ran 64 with a 425 hp crate motor. Rode terrible IMO. I was happy to move on.