Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
502 Upgrades >

502 Upgrades

Notices

502 Upgrades

Old 03-25-2002, 05:11 PM
Johnny Bravo

Question 502 Upgrades

I am looking for performance upgrades for my 25 outaw. Exhaust, computer, air filter, and prop. what can I do with out spending big bucks. I would like to find out what realy works.

Old 03-25-2002, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck, I have heard from other people no gain at all to 4 or 5 mph, for myself I am saving for a supercharger setup, and I will do the install myself, if you can do this also, by the time you buy some high dollar manifolds, computer remap, fuel press reg. and
a flame arrestor, you have spent half of a supercharger kit, just my 2 cents, I dont think you will be happy unless all you need is
2 or 3 mph
Old 03-25-2002, 09:17 PM
Johnny Bravo

I have been thining of a supercharger or a pro charger but everyone I know who installed one has blown a motor. One of my friends even sent his boat to Whipple to do the install and blew the motor. This is making me think twice. Also, I have been told that you need these components with a super charger. If I can get a true 5 MPH I would be happy for now.

Old 03-25-2002, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johnny B, your point is well taken about blowing a motor upon the installation of a super or procharger. Here is bit of advice. My Baja runs approx. 85mph w/ around 618hp (it's a '98 Boss 272). My 502 incorporates an M1 Procharger. The key to the story is, the guy I purchased it from had the motor professionally balanced and blueprinted (by Buzzard Racing) before adding the procharger and after approx. 20 hours of motor use. The boat, since installation of the procharger has run 185 hours with no breakdown. I guess the moral to the story is, if your going to add on a modification capable of producing 50% or more additional horsepower "beef up" the motor to be able to handle such a modification. I'm not a "geerhead" (anymore) this is just my .02 Prochargers Do work as promised!
Steve.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:52 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Johnny B -

the upgrades you are talking about will help a little, but I doubt if you get 5 mph.... labbing the propr may gain you a few mph, but to get any real gains you'll need to upgrade the internals.

I rebuilt my 502 last fall - bored .30 over to 509 ci, added roller cam, roller rockers, high comp pistons, inconnel valves, remapped the ECU, upgraded the injectors (recent addition), added a vortech flame arrestor, cmi exhaust, etc. This took the motor from 415 hp + or - to about 535 - 550 (estimated). Went from 65 mph to 77 - 78 mph. You will need to beef up the internals if you add a supercharger, so you might as well do it in steps.... Also, with the addition of a supercharger you need to be careful with the drive - B1's are not made for the amount of torque that is created with a SC - need to be light on the throttle coming out of the hole or you'll break drives all season long.

In short, there is no cheap fix for additional speed. My advice is to build a bullet proof NA motor and add the SC later - if you feel the need for more speed....

Steve C - how does your 272 handle at 85? I have a 95 272 Shooter and the boat gets a little loose around 75 or so. Don't have external steering yet, and this may improve the handling...