Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
WTF is there so much hook in bottom for? >

WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?

Notices

WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?

Old 06-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pwam1
IT, Prop work will help the porpoising A LOT!
There likely (I'm not a prop pro) isn't enough cup in the props to hold the bow up, so it holds then loses it, holds then loses it, ad infinitum.
I would call one of the pro prop folks we all talkl about here and see what they have to say.
I've had prop work done on a single eng Baja and it made a world of difference.

Bblades which is the only one I will let touch my props has done his magic and it did help, but it still is a crazy ride in rough water or light chop...Only way to stop it is to drop the drives and tabs. I've been told by several that the hook causes part of this as it's keeping air under the boat. I'm gonna try sharpening the strakes, transom edge and take hook out put boxes on with shorties see where I'm at. Of course this is all this winter so another bouncy boating season...
Old 06-16-2009, 10:27 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pwam1
IT, Prop work will help the porpoising A LOT!
There likely (I'm not a prop pro) isn't enough cup in the props to hold the bow up, so it holds then loses it, holds then loses it, ad infinitum.
I would call one of the pro prop folks we all talkl about here and see what they have to say.
I've had prop work done on a single eng Baja and it made a world of difference.
Dave,

I agree that something else is up! The molded-in hooks are (only) in the area just ahead of the trim tabs on your hull, and grinding them off will not solve the issues that you discribe. Kevin, and I will both go over your hull in detail this fall, if that is still the plan?

XT
Old 06-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
Dave,

I agree that something else is up! The molded-in hooks are (only) in the area just ahead of the trim tabs on your hull, and grinding them off will not solve the issues that you discribe. Kevin, and I will both go over your hull in detail this fall, if that is still the plan?

XT
Well I'm not sure it's required grinding as much as filling...The hook is all the way down to the V from last strake towards the middle and about 8-10"s towards the front...That is still the plan as I know Brett at Bblades knows his stuff. He's worked my props several times to get this to stop and while it's made it better it's still doing it. I'm putting on extension boxes for sure and shorties this fall and still plan to bring the boat to you for some work, so lets talk closer to fall...
Old 06-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by irishtornado
Well I'm not sure it's required grinding as much as filling...The hook is all the way down to the V from last strake towards the middle and about 8-10"s towards the front...That is still the plan as I know Brett at Bblades knows his stuff. He's worked my props several times to get this to stop and while it's made it better it's still doing it. I'm putting on extension boxes for sure and shorties this fall and still plan to bring the boat to you for some work, so lets talk closer to fall...
Dave,

I have even seen a performance/handling difference between a windshield, and a windscreen on a 302. A windshield will hold the bow down better than a windscreen, but a windscreen is normally a little faster!

XT
Old 06-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
Dave,

I have even seen a performance/handling difference between a windshield, and a windscreen on a 302. A windshield will hold the bow down better than a windscreen, but a windscreen is normally a little faster!

XT
Had same issue with windshield when it was on the boat. I removed it last summer and installed the windscreen. I've had the boat now for going on 4 yrs always had the issue when it was Mags and now HO's. I'm stumped other than to me excessive hook in bottom or the deep X dimension on it which should be cured I hope with boxes and shorties
Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Registered

IT,

For what it's worth, I checked my 302 for hook while I had it on the trailer for the KY Lake PR. Starboard side had almost no hook and the port side had about an eighth of an inch.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TCBoss302
IT,

For what it's worth, I checked my 302 for hook while I had it on the trailer for the KY Lake PR. Starboard side had almost no hook and the port side had about an eighth of an inch.
Thanks that tells me the hook needs to go this fall when I have the bottom blueprinted and extension boxes put on.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 867 Likes on 325 Posts

Dave, dont do both the same time. Do the boxes and run it, they may fix the issue.

Or, just drop 525's in!
Old 06-22-2009, 11:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Dave, dont do both the same time. Do the boxes and run it, they may fix the issue.

Or, just drop 525's in!
Well the boxes will definately go on first, but I'm not sure it'll cure it...

HA I'd love too, but this damn great economy we got going has taken my fun money away for right now on the engine end. I was actually in your neighborhood last week and tried to call you, but you didn't get back to me before I hit the loop.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have hook all the way from the bottom of the v to the outer strake you got a different problem. It shouldn't be there. Only the outermost part of the v right inside of the flat part.
I found that when my 29 was in stock form I had to run the tabs a bit negative & the drives neutral to keep it leveled out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.