Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
WTF is there so much hook in bottom for? >

WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?

Notices

WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
I didn't realize how old this thread was. I've done alot of changes since I started this. I definately had bottom issues. It's not the ones outside the strakes infront of the tabs. It's a hook on the running surface.

Kevin assured me this would improve handling and eliminate the porpoise.
I wish you lots of luck. I think its a weight issue more than a hook problem.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pacalim1965@yaho
I think Indy whsl just had the hook taken out of his 29 outlaw, not sure if it was everything he thought it would be. He didn't seem to excited about it.
I'm not going to speak for Mike or put words in his mouth, but I think he would have rather not done what he did, or at least not to the extent it was done.
I'm not 100% sure, but that is the way I interpreted he & I's conversation on the phone the other day.
I think it gave him more than he was bargaining for, but more of a concern to him, I feel is he has to start over like it was a brand new to him boat in terms of driveability and learning curve.
It is going to take some time to get figured out what the boat wants now for wheels and how he is going to treat his trim settings.
I wish him and all you guys who take the hook out of the Bajas the best of luck.
I still feel it is there for a reason and isn't a factor at speed, but I'm retired from that game now so I really don't care what it does as long as you guys are having fun doing it.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja_302
Weight distribution and over-trimming are my observations too.
Not picking on Indy, but look at the difference in attitude of my 29 vs. his.
Mike:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvYc65RNyWw

Me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBlmw...eature=related

There is the issue with the water condition, but I think it's a fair comparison for the most part.
Mike is the only one who can say how the water was for his run.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baja_302
I don't. I'm not talking about hook outside the strakes. I'm talking about a rocker on the running surface. From engine bulkhead to the transom 1/2" rocker in the running surface is like dragging a 3' wide trim tab while at WOT.
Attached Thumbnails WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?-img00152-20110509-14324.jpg   WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?-img00153-20110509-14323.jpg   WTF is there so much hook in bottom for?-img00150-20110509-14315.jpg  

Last edited by Irishtornado; 05-18-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pacalim1965@yaho
I think Indy whsl just had the hook taken out of his 29 outlaw, not sure if it was everything he thought it would be. He didn't seem to excited about it.
I know what Indy did I pretty much talk to him daily and I'm not touching that area of my bottom. The guy doing my boat has lots of experience with race boats and Baja's Those little hooks in the front of my Kplanes aren't affecting it with 380 Kplanes they're not even in hard water on plane.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered

Here is a video of it last summer running 80.999999999

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF3PnhJj1bE&feature=mh_lolz&list=LLM662Dnf vQ4M[/YOUTUBE]
Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
I know what Indy did I pretty much talk to him daily and I'm not touching that area of my bottom. The guy doing my boat has lots of experience with race boats and Baja's Those little hooks in the front of my Kplanes aren't affecting it with 380 Kplanes they're not even in hard water on plane.
your right those hooks help you get up on plane with stock power. but you have a bad area under the boat. I now when I put the shortie on my 24ol my boat ran much better. I am having issues with putting my new gas tank in my saber 28 its designed to fit behind the back seat, they must of lowered it in before the deck was installed. I had to modifed it for the blower. so now ITS GOING BACK TO THE TANK PLACE A SECOND TIME. but today Iam mocking up a wood one to see what little trimming I need to do. its only 88gals, I tried to add 12 to the stock tank but its not fitting so Iwill loose 2 to 3 gals, then in the fall after I use this thing add a second tankunder the seat. good luck these baja's can fly with a lil work.