Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 290 MotorYacht owners

Anyone here have one of these?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one for 2 years but sold it a few years ago. What can I tell you about it? I had one loaded with 350 mags, gen, etc. With painted bottom and typical load ran about 47 but 3500 rpm was 36 mph cruise with 4 blade 17's. Had to go to 4 blade 17's to get it's heavy azzz out of the water (the gen adds alot of transom weight).
Old 08-18-2009, 04:08 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Mine has the 350/Alpha's combo, but 3 bladed props. Don't know pitch. Haven't gotten a top speed yet. With more than 4 people it takes a while to get on plane. With 9 adults, it was pointed to the sky for a long time. Tabs and drives were tucked. Mine seems to porpoise quite abit too that I can't get rid of unless I bury the tabs.

A gen. would have been nice, but no such luck.
Mines a 95' and pulls water from the lake for the head. What yr was yours? I noticed the pre 95's don't have the walk thru W/S. Also, ice maker or fridge in the cockpit? I have a storage where the icemaker/fridge would go and don't see how those would fit unless the inside of the storage was cut out on the right side. Thinking of installing a fridge there this winter.

Thanks

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-01-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post some pics inside and out. That boat was long before I worked there, but I always liked them. XT-Innovator might know a few fun facts about them.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Registered

Yup I had 3 blade 19's Mirage's and on plane flat dragged like yours. As a quick fix I put Stingray brand fins on the drives and on plane in an instant. Just still too much pitch as top rpm was low and accel was slow. The best $50 each ever spent -i never thought I'd succumb to them but man I am a believer now. Just sucked getting on swim ladder because the banged you in the shin.
Then went to 4 blade 17's and no need for fins no more and motors wound up right. Mid range stayed and top end actually improved. Foks will tell you 50mph but that's no load & no bottom paint. You mine porpused too some. It came props spin in and I did alot of reasearch found many others did too. I switched to spin out for dock manuverability and honestly no real performance difference otherwise (had to switch drives with alpha's). Felt like had more bow lift out than in, and maybe some porpose went away but not much diff -no where near what I've felt in other true performacne boats swapping.
I had the ice maker and never used it -also planned frige swap but never got to it. Had a 91 -burgendy accents. I'd post a photo but don't have the membership. My head got water from tank-lucky me. Had the macerator had to disconnect. Also all drains went to waste tank -corrected that too by adding new external drains. Changed all cabin carpet too -took an afternoon but worth it. Got rid of all crazy colors in cabin (drapes, panels, etc). Loved the boat for what it was. But yup 29ft I think includes the pulpit so running surface is really about 25-26 ft. In the ruff (here on Lake Michigan) it felt short still.

Last edited by paulb32; 08-18-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Registered

hello all i have just recently purchased a 290 motor yacht. It was a bank repo i got her for a steal she need some cleaning and love. I will post some pics of what she looked like when i picked her up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2790501...945269/detail/

i would love to see some pics of the ones you guys own or owned. email me at [email protected]

i have alot of questions

1. where did the generator go ?( between the batteries?)

2. does anyone have a owners manual they could scan and
email me or sell me?

3. in the floor of the engine room there is a valve with a hose is this to wash the engine room down? or what?

4. i need both out drives are they suppose to be alpha 1 gen2's?

5. does the a/c unit take in water or use freon?

6. are the engines raw or closed cooling system?

here is the link to my thread at i boat forums
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=341997

thanks for any help and look forward to hearing from you guys
Old 08-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Registered

I'm looking at a 92' 290 yacht and I really like it. I'm not too thrilled with the porpoise stories you guys are telling though. This sounds like a concern. If the hull is right, you shouldn't be doing that in a calm sea. It just burns fuel and is annoying.
Is this a real problem with these?? Thanks.
Craig
Old 08-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by bubba68
hello all i have just recently purchased a 290 motor yacht. It was a bank repo i got her for a steal she need some cleaning and love. I will post some pics of what she looked like when i picked her up.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2790501...945269/detail/

i would love to see some pics of the ones you guys own or owned. email me at [email protected]

i have alot of questions

1. where did the generator go ?( between the batteries?)

2. does anyone have a owners manual they could scan and
email me or sell me?

3. in the floor of the engine room there is a valve with a hose is this to wash the engine room down? or what?

4. i need both out drives are they suppose to be alpha 1 gen2's?

5. does the a/c unit take in water or use freon?

6. are the engines raw or closed cooling system?

here is the link to my thread at i boat forums
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=341997

thanks for any help and look forward to hearing from you guys
Looks like you got you work cut out for you.
Don't have any pics of mine yet.

I have all the original manuals with mine, along with every peice of paper, manual on all the accessories. Didn't realize there were actually owners manuals for boats themselves.

I'd say between the batteries on the ledge is the only place a gen would fit.

The 'valve' with the hose in the engine compartment could be your A/C's inlet. That should be a thru hull fitting with a valve on top, then a short peice of hose going to a sea strainer, then onto the A/C's water pump.
Or it might be the water supply for your toilet. Depends on which one you are talking about. The one in the center is for your AC

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 08-24-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:17 PM
Registered

it has a short piece of hose with a clamp on it but i cant see where it goes to. i will get some more pics and post them up. and if i could get copies of you manuals I would be greatly appriciated. and i would pay you if you want.

Last edited by bubba68; 08-24-2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Registered

Guys,
Don't get hung up on porpose. It runs great and either slight trim in or slight tab flattens it out. With my 18p 4 blades had great acceleration and cruised at 35 all day long. Towed tubes even witn 8 people on board. Decent riding boat that can entertain awesome with the various rear seat configurations. And chagne the rear icemaker to a fridge and with the gen youve got it all for cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.