Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Road to 60mph in a Baja 232 Islander >

Road to 60mph in a Baja 232 Islander

Notices

Road to 60mph in a Baja 232 Islander

Old 06-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on getting the bottom paint off and it came off the back and sides where it wrapped up onto the graphics fairly easily. It looks like a couple layers thick and chipped under the top layer as well. Is the outdrive hurting my speed to? the prop says baja marine on it so i am guessing its 13 years old but other than the very dull edge seams ok a few small chips and dings. Do i need a lower unit spacer...what is first to help improve my slip numbers. I am hoping to try these other props wed morning. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have heard of bottom paint scrubbing off speed. Do a search and you may find more info on how to remove it. Because of the small cam and peanut port heads the engine runs out of power at 4600 anyway no need to turn it any more. In addition the engine has cast internals and is not designed for the higher RPM. My boat is similar to yours and when it was stock with a 330 it ran 55MPH. Also I have known people with the same boat you have and they all ran 21p mirage props at 4600 RPM at 55 MPH with around 11% prop slip. The same as my boat did when it was stock. I have mine running 74MPH and have been through a lot to get it there. I hope to have 76 out of it next week after I do another mod. There are other people on here that should back up that info.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Banned

xx
Old 06-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Registered

I looked around and tried the easy off...the best way i have found is with a razor and 1000 grit wet sandpaper then 2500. Its not tooooo bad just slow go. I have another 21 mirage it has a couple dings in it but has been labbed at some point in its life and then i have this three blade 23 that is now stamped 25. it was labbed a couple years ago.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by warrantykiller
I looked around and tried the easy off...the best way i have found is with a razor and 1000 grit wet sandpaper then 2500. Its not tooooo bad just slow go. I have another 21 mirage it has a couple dings in it but has been labbed at some point in its life and then i have this three blade 23 that is now stamped 25. it was labbed a couple years ago.
Stay with the 21p mirage. Good luck with the paint removal. I still think your tach may be off with the slip numbers. Check out this site. http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm
Old 06-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
I have heard of bottom paint scrubbing off speed. Do a search and you may find more info on how to remove it. Because of the small cam and peanut port heads the engine runs out of power at 4600 anyway no need to turn it any more. In addition the engine has cast internals and is not designed for the higher RPM. My boat is similar to yours and when it was stock with a 330 it ran 55MPH. Also I have known people with the same boat you have and they all ran 21p mirage props at 4600 RPM at 55 MPH with around 11% prop slip. The same as my boat did when it was stock. I have mine running 74MPH and have been through a lot to get it there. I hope to have 76 out of it next week after I do another mod. There are other people on here that should back up that info.
Agree with jeff. My 232 was 53-55 stock with 310hp. I would believe that the paint, knick up prop. slight damage and finish on drive might scrub 4-5mph.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered

Are these 55mph boats loaded with gear and people and gps speeds or empty with a tailwind and low on fuel. I want my boat to run 55+ 60+ loaded down. what will that entail. i understand that i need to get my slip under control. if i want to turn that 25 prop at 4500 rpms 15% slip is 60mph ish what kind of power is that going to take 400hp?
Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Registered

I can bairely spin a 25 to 5200 RPM with 500+HP, stay with the 21. With everything stock and running well 55 MPH would be on good days, loaded down maybe 53. If you want 60 that will cost you a bunch of money. The engine you have is designed for what it is. If you are planning on keeping the boat a long time you could do a complete rebuild with the good parts or you could sell it and buy a used 502. You could get a shortie drive or raise your x dim. Anything you do will cost you thousands of dollars. I would get what you have working correctly before start thinking faster speeds. Upgrades are for winter projects anyway, run it for the summer and have fun.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Registered

Well I guess I will jump in here... I don't know if my situation will help any but I don't typically get a chance to talk about Islanders!

I have an 2002 232 Islander with a 496 MAG - 375 HP. I think I may have a different gear ration in my out drive because my boat originated out of Colorado and I believe they have to compensate for the high elevation.
Any way because of that I have a 3 blade 27 pitch Mirage prop and I can run 65mph with full gas and heavy load. In perfect conditions...aka: down stream, light on fuel & people....maybe a little tail wind..lol I have been able to hit 72 mph at 4800 rpm and have the rev limiter beep at me.
The speeds I'm quoting are from my speedometer and not GPS.
My boat dealer - Hawkeye Boat/Dubuque IA - has told me the speedometers are fairly accurate in the upper mph range.

Anyway that is my experience with my 232 Islander.
P.S. I love my boat!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wet Vett
Well I guess I will jump in here... I don't know if my situation will help any but I don't typically get a chance to talk about Islanders!

I have an 2002 232 Islander with a 496 MAG - 375 HP. I think I may have a different gear ration in my out drive because my boat originated out of Colorado and I believe they have to compensate for the high elevation.
Any way because of that I have a 3 blade 27 pitch Mirage prop and I can run 65mph with full gas and heavy load. In perfect conditions...aka: down stream, light on fuel & people....maybe a little tail wind..lol I have been able to hit 72 mph at 4800 rpm and have the rev limiter beep at me.
The speeds I'm quoting are from my speedometer and not GPS.
My boat dealer - Hawkeye Boat/Dubuque IA - has told me the speedometers are fairly accurate in the upper mph range.

Anyway that is my experience with my 232 Islander.
P.S. I love my boat!
If the boat was from Hawkeye you may have a raised x dim, a lot of the boats they ordered +2". However the speedo's are almost alway 2-3MPH fast, mine was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.