Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Need advice......Bummed >

Need advice......Bummed

Notices

Need advice......Bummed

Old 06-03-2011, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep the boat in the slip for the summer. no reason to loose 3500. when the hull shows growth or needs cleaned, hop in the boat and take it into the shallows and clean the bottom with a brush , then take back to marina. avoids the 400 for lift service. then after summer store it inside or buy trailer.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You're definitely in a quandary. You do NOT want to bottom paint that boat - it will kill the performance and no one will want it, I can promise you that. Of course, leaving it in the water is no good either for a multitude of reasons. Blistering, marine growth and corrosion being the most immediate offenders. I get uncomfortable after a weekend in the water.

You're in Boston, so how long is the season really? 6 months maybe? I can't believe they charge 3500 bucks for that! Then add the monthly 400 buck lift and launch fee and you're talking serious money. That's nuts. Down here I can keep my 35 (37' LOA) Cig in high&dry for less than 400 bucks a month.

Either get a lift installed, buy a trailer or find a high&dry marina. I agree with the above, see if you can't sell it back to them or sublease it.

Last edited by CigDaze; 06-03-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the comments guys, I appreciate it. I think as being a new boat owner (a baja one at that) I have learned my lesson. I am NOT going to bottom paint the boat. My marina does not allow lifts and will not issue a refund, so my plan is to pull it out every other week and power wash it. Not the best cost effective way, but it is what I have to do if I want to maintain this boat the right way. Marinas as expensive here. Since we wont be using the boat during the week, I will get it pulled every other monday and keep it out of the water during the week, so technically the boat will be in the water about 2 weeks out of the month and power washings and waxing in between that. Sucks, but that is what I need to do for now. Maybe things will change later, but I cant dwell on this too much longer, I am losing sleep! lol
Thanks for everyones input, I appreciate it very much!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:00 AM
Registered

I keep my boat here in florida baja 27, the marina charges me $200 a month high in dry covered and unlimited fork lift use. i could call and say put my boat in the water everyday all year long at no charge. plus when they pull it out they wash, flush it and cover it up.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:07 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 551 Posts

Can you sublease the slip?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Registered

Cant Sublease space. Just talked with the marina and they are going to charge me 100.00 each time to pull the boat and power wash it and then put it back in. I think I may do this on a weekly basis. If they pulled it and stored it on blocks or a rack, it is 400.00.
Pacalim1965- I wish I could do that. Expensive here. 132.00 a foot to keep the boat in a slip.
The only thing that concerns me now is the blistering. What do you think? another 4 months in the water and taking it out weekly for a power wash, still get blistering?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chrsbaja
Too late.
Paid 3500.00 for the slip for the summer.
Wow, and they want to charge to pull the boat once in awhile. I always thought the marina we used was expensive. We still have a buddy there with a Baja 290. For $2000, he gets indoor rack storage and unlimited ins and outs. They'll even set it in a workrack if you want to scrub the bottom or just work on it for the day.

Whats the boating like up in Boston?
Old 06-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Registered

Chrsbaja, i personally would not worry about blistering for only 4 months in the water. I would be more concerned with outdrive and zincs getting eatten up. i see boats here in florida getting pulled out for routine service after setting in the water all year long with no bottom paint and no blisters... I don't think you will need to pressure wash every two weeks. maybe once a month. whats wrong with taking it into 3 feet of water and cleaning the bottom yourself every few weeks? $132 per ft is insane, i pay 7.00 per ft for my 27 + tx.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

Why not throw a coat of the new bottom paint on it that wears off with use?
Old 06-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered

I have had the boat in the water for a week tomorrow, Ia m checking on it tonight after work and see what kind of growth i have and the scumline. I guess I will just monitor it and see how often i need to pull it.
The prices here are crazy, but so is the real estate!
The boating up here is great, lots of great islands to explore, bars along the coast to visit and dock up to, so for the most part I love the boating in the Boston Harbor. This is the first year I have used a boat in the harbor, loving it and it is surely something that I will continue to enjoy. I installed a Garmin 740S Chartlplotter in the boat and it is incredible the ease of use and it is very accurate especially with the Vision 2 card for this area.
Anyways I guess once I take a look tonight and see what is going on, i will have an idea on how often i pull the boat. Regarding the zincs, just replaced them last week before the boat went in the water, they really didnt need replace, but did it anyways. The outdrive is another story. I will be scrubbing that and making sure I keep it as clean as possible.
I did install a flush kit in the boat and have only ran the boat on 3 seperate occasions last week and have flushed the motor with salt away one time and the other two times I used dishwasher soap (just a little).
Boomer: Not sure if I want to do that at all. When I decide to sell the boat I want to use the words " never been bottom painted", it seems that everyone looks for that when purchasing a baja or similar. I know I did when i was looking. Of course I also looked at "fresh water only", so that cant be used when I sell the boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.