33 outlaw question? >

33 outlaw question?

Notices

33 outlaw question?

Old 06-18-2002, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33 outlaw question?

I've been shopping for a 33, but have speed questions. I understand one with 454's will run @70mph. I talked to dealer that had one with 502's and he said 73 or 74 gps. Then I talked to a Baja rep at a boat show and he said with the HO 425 horse that they run @ 1 mph faster than the 502 because they played with the drive height. So then I read in POWERBOAT that one with 500's only ran 78 mph. Then I talked to another guy (I know I've talked to alot of people) who had one with 500's and boxes and said it ran about 84 to 85. Am I to beleive that the boxes make that much difference. If so a pair of 425's with boxes or the Merc ITS, if they would ever do that, would be faster than 500's and have better warranty. If boxes make that much difference then I wonder what a notch would do. How do the boxes effect handling. The rep said they handle just as well.
Anybody that has a 33 and could give some numbers and feedback I would appreciate it.
Thanks Mike.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:31 PM
Registered

From what ive seen first hand boxes on the 33 are good for 1/2to 1 mph. They make the boat stern heavy and the ride suffers in the rough stuff. 84 mph is stictly on the speedo and when comparing speeds be sure gps to gps as every speedo reads different.
Old 06-19-2002, 07:04 AM
Senior Member # 68
Charter Member

Mike,
Whatever a dealer tells you,take with a grain of salt,even the factory reps. tend to exaggerate quite a bit.I've got a 36 with 500EFI's and boxes,Speedo shows a tad over 80,but the best on GPS so far is 73.9.
Steve
Old 06-19-2002, 10:11 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Also,,,and this is just a rumor, not verified, but I was told that Merc Or the dealer ) wasnt putting ITS boxes on anything smaller then 500 EFI ( was a friend looking at a Fountain )
Old 06-19-2002, 09:08 PM
Registered

So I really shouldn't try to get one with 500's, because the money doesn't pay for that much more speed. Seems that 454's with a whipple would be as fast or faster than 500's and still save the drive?
Old 06-19-2002, 09:22 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Goob, how's Barney?

I would not make a final dicision until a drove or rode in a few and saw the difference for yourself.

The 500's are a GREAT proven dependable engine with all the internal goodies needed to add a blower. They look great and sound even better.

To me they are well worth the money. I met a guy this year with a 2000 Formula 353 that put whipples on his 500's before he ever put the boat in the water. Blew one drove and replaced both with Imco's. He has 150 trouble free hours on the engines and the boat runs 99 on the GPS according to him and a friend we both know the is very familiar with his boat. I was very impressed. This guy knows boats and did it right and has seen very good results. That is a major increase over stock in my book.

Buy what works best for you, but for me I think the 500's are worth a little more.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:13 AM
Registered

Boss man,
I think the 500's are killer butif only 2 or 3 mph I'm just thinking. I don't think I would put blowers on a 500 though. I just can't spend $$ on outdrive upgrade. More than likely the HO motors. The more I talk to people if you put the seats and other things on the 33 before any packages you are almost at a 36 price, but the 36 is a little more than I want to tow every time. I would rather have a 36 but the 33 is more suitable for me. Mostly want a pumpout head, thats why I sold my last boat.
As for the name "goob" It just happened out partying during the college days and just kind of stuck.

Hey Boss, killer boat by the way. Lets have an update ont he sea trial.
Mike
Old 06-20-2002, 04:37 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 971 Posts

Get a hold of jawbreakerkid. He has a 2000 33 Outlaw with 502's that is absolutely like new and FOR SALE. He'll give some real #'s on speed too.
Old 06-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike,

I understand and agree completely. The 33 is a great boat. It is what we thought we would go with next. However in shopping around, and considering that the last two boats we had we only kept for one to one to two seasons, I did not want to be in a position where I wanted to trade up next year.

As for trailering, yet I am not looking forward to it, but a good friend trailers his 42 Fountain and the more you do it the easier it gets.

I will keep you posted on the speed and handling. I am sure the handling will be awesome, the speed will probably not be what I would like. Based on what Steve has posted with his 36, I will be very happy in the low to mid 70's. That is all we are expecting.

I have no plans at all to do any performance upgrades. Just bought all the boat I can afford and plan to enjoy it.

Good Luck
Mark
Old 06-20-2002, 03:52 PM
Johnny Bravo

We run with 2 33 outlaws on a regular basis. One has 496 mags and the other has 496 mag HO. One is running in the mid 60's and the other in the lower 70's. These are gps speeds not spedo speeds.

Quick Reply: 33 outlaw question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.