Gaffrig trim switch needed? >

Gaffrig trim switch needed?

Notices

Gaffrig trim switch needed?

Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaffrig trim switch needed?

I suspect my trim switch is on the fritz, as occasionally the drive won't trim with the switch, but works fine with the trailer switches. I also redid one of the pump solenoids last year.... can't remember if it was down or up.

But I'm also thinking it could be the trim sender/limit pucks, as I just had the gimbal ring etc. out, and had to reinstall the pucks. I installed and adjusted per Merc's service manual, but maybe something's out?

Took it apart (throttle mount), and it looks like a new switch could easily be soldered in.... gonna do some internet hunting to try to source this thing.

Anybody replace this before, or is a replacement with the harness etc., available? Thanks, J

Last edited by puzzleboy; 07-03-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:57 AM
Registered

Hey quit fixing and enjoy the boat.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by puzzleboy
I suspect my trim switch is on the fritz, as occasionally the drive won't trim with the switch, but works fine with the trailer switches. I also redid one of the pump solenoids last year.... can't remember if it was down or up.

But I'm also thinking it could be the trim sender/limit pucks, as I just had the gimbal ring etc. out, and had to reinstall the pucks. I installed and adjusted per Merc's service manual, but maybe something's out?

Took it apart (throttle mount), and it looks like a new switch could easily be soldered in.... gonna do some internet hunting to try to source this thing.

Anybody replace this before, or is a replacement with the harness etc., available? Thanks, J

Did you have to pull your engine to repalce the gimbal ring? I may have to install new hinge pins or ring,, little wandering in the wheel. Be a winter project.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bats05
Did you have to pull your engine to repalce the gimbal ring? I may have to install new hinge pins or ring,, little wandering in the wheel. Be a winter project.
Nope. I cut open the transom plate to access the swivel pin and pinch bolt, like many others have done. Then made a cover plate out of stainless steel. What you end up with, is the design Merc. Should have had in the first place!

Then, get the square bore of your gimbal ring welded to add material, and then file/ re-machine the square bore until the swivel pin will just insert.

Worked like a charm!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kragar
Hey quit fixing and enjoy the boat.
I know!!! Had a good weekend on her!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by puzzleboy
Nope. I cut open the transom plate to access the swivel pin and pinch bolt, like many others have done. Then made a cover plate out of stainless steel. What you end up with, is the design Merc. Should have had in the first place!

Then, get the square bore of your gimbal ring welded to add material, and then file/ re-machine the square bore until the swivel pin will just insert.

Worked like a charm!
So is that area where you cut the hole.... where the mercruiser sticker is on top of the transom plate?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered

Yep. I'll post pics later, but there should be others on the forum also.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=puzzleboy;3724754]Yep. I'll post pics later, but there should be others on the forum also.[/QUO

I would like to see the process
Old 07-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Registered

Check out JR Marine's website. They have a video and instructions there. I used the same process, and made my own cover plate out of stainless sheet.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:27 PM
Registered

My issue is definitely my switch, as when I short the terminals on the back, the trim works perfectly.

Anybody have a source for these?