Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
24 outlaw floor options and leak... >

24 outlaw floor options and leak...

Notices

24 outlaw floor options and leak...

Old 07-06-2012, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 24 outlaw floor options and leak...

Well, I have an older 24 Outlaw and i have 2 problems. One, that i just noticed in front of the rear seat on the starboard side is soft. About the size of someone's foot. Ahead of it is as hard as a rock and behind is the same. I hate the carpeted floor... Is there any option of a fiberglass sheet that would be that white textured floor? It makes me mad because 3 seasons ago I repaired a soft stringer and the side box on the starboard side. The boat came blank and did not have trim tabs or anything to make the transom rot. Also when I drilled to install my K-planes the wood that came out from the drill was dry as a bone. I also pulled the transom assy and sealed with 5200 (for some reason) I had no idea 5200 was so strong. So the excess amount i smeared around the assy like caulk hoping to take off with a blade later. Well, a razor wont cut that stuff. I have installed a new block-off plate for the exhaust and sealed with sealant I have new u-joint bellows and a new shift cable and boot. I get a trickle of water in the bottom of the transom assy and it kills me! I don't know whats left!!! What else can leak. The drive is newer and i installed new o-rings in it between that and the transom assy. Any ideas? And is the floor a large point of structure of the boat? I will pull the rear seat and replace this winter.... But i don't want it to hurt the boat. All other parts of the floor are hard as a rock.... Its like finding a dent in your car. You don't know how long its been there but after you find it, it pisses you off!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am willing to bet the water leak is the swivel pin seal. When changing it I highly recommend a new stainless steel swivel pin also.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron Bender ( JR Marine ) makes a nice stainless swivel pin and his is cheaper than mercury's
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Registered

Thanks guys! I had no idea there is a swivel pin seal. Do i have to pull the transom assy to do it?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Registered

thought the swivel pin is on the bottom of the gimbal ring at the bottom. The boat has hydraulc steering and the tiller arm and gimbal ring are in good shape. or am i way off?

Also, Like when i go to the ozarks... If the boat is sitting still in a slip it does not leak. It's leaking when i tie it up and such but if i come check on it in a couple hours it is not leaking.

Last edited by Fixxxer22; 07-09-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Registered

Are you planning on doing both sides of the cockpit floor or just the side that is soft?

When you replaced the box before, was the foam under the box wet? Was the bulkhead forward of the box wet/rotted or still solid?

I wouldn't worry about it too much as far as structure, just fix it when you can in the off season.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Are you planning on doing both sides of the cockpit floor or just the side that is soft?

When you replaced the box before, was the foam under the box wet? Was the bulkhead forward of the box wet/rotted or still solid?

I wouldn't worry about it too much as far as structure, just fix it when you can in the off season.

When I had the sunken engine stringer i replaced them and doubled them up with micro lam. The transom was hard and so was the rear bulkhead. I was thinking of just biting the bullet and replacing the floor and floor stringers from the front bulkhead to rear. And replacing the rear bulkhead if i see an issue. The box on the starboard was not even constructed like the port. the wood was thinner and had no mat or anything on it. Just had a coat of pink gelcoat on it and that's it. So i chalked it up to an overlooked piece of the boat. The port side was constructed with thicker board and had mat and resin on it. There was foam beneath it. I just got the damn thing painted and it has good power now, hydraulic steering, k planes and gauges. I love the damn thing. So i want to make her last. I was talking to the wife and she gave me the green light to get the interior done by XI but now i got this floor crap going on.

I would love to have something other than carpet. Is there a way to get the type of white fiberglass flooring that most boats have or is it on top of the boards? saw some foam type of flooring on overtons and stuff but im not sure what to do.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Registered

When I redid my floors I just gelcoated them.

Covered the new floor board (plywood) with glass. Then heavy coat of gel to fill in the weave of the glass, sand smooth, then a finish coat, sand and buff.

Eventually I plan to get a piece of lay-in carpet made, for the time being I just keep a specific pair of flip-flops on the boat to wear while driving because without the carpet, the floor is pretty hard on the feet.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
When I redid my floors I just gelcoated them.

Covered the new floor board (plywood) with glass. Then heavy coat of gel to fill in the weave of the glass, sand smooth, then a finish coat, sand and buff.

Eventually I plan to get a piece of lay-in carpet made, for the time being I just keep a specific pair of flip-flops on the boat to wear while driving because without the carpet, the floor is pretty hard on the feet.
so, are you just thinking carpet from the beginning or did you look at other floor options and nothing really would hold up? I just like the look of the white fiberglass textured floor. But i don't know if it is a thin pre-made sheet over wood or if it is molded that way....
Old 07-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

I want to get rid of the carpet in mine. Pirelli floors seem to be the go to replacement.