Bilge pump question >

Bilge pump question

Notices

Bilge pump question

Old 07-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilge pump question

I finally got my boat in the water after the motor rebuild! When to stopped I noticed the bilge pump was running without any water leaving the boat. The mechanic must have bumped it off it's base and it is flopping around under the engine. The boat is a baja h2x with a 7.4 mpi. Does it just snap back on the base? Any advice on how to pit it back in its place? I burned my arm trying to fix in on the water and will regroup and try again in the morning. Any advice would be appreciated
Old 07-30-2012, 09:33 PM
VIP Member

Normally you mount the base to the bottom, then snap it in by lining up tabs and pushing down. You may have broken tabs or a cracked base. I used zip ties to hold one of mine in and it held fine for many years and a rough ride. Let us know what you find.

Smitty
Old 07-31-2012, 10:35 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 587 Posts

Unless your bilge pump has a built in float switch then it shouldnt be running even if its off the mounting base. I'd check to see if the float switch is stuck or maybe you have a short in the wiring somewhere...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help guys, the mounting base was broken and the float was all full of crud so I replaced the pump this morning with a new unit. Only a few cuts and scrapes.... Would have been nice if they noticed it when they installed the engine I put a 1000 gph pump in hope this will do the trick.