Notices

Thanks Baja Daze

Old 07-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks Baja Daze

Hey Daze,

Just wanted to thank for the tip on the speedo tubes.

I used the plastic pull through wire ties, two on each one of the hoses and it looks like that is going to work.

I do not know what Baja, or Mercury does from the factory, but when they first came off the dealer put regular gear type hose clamps. They lasted one run and at about 69 MPH were GONE.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Mark
Old 07-10-2002, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Baja Boss,

I just picked up a new 29 Outlaw and my Speedo tube came off as well. It appears it came from the factory with one of those pull through zip ties. It didn't hold. I put it back on (thinking it may not have been on all the way originally) First time out, once I got up to speed (99 MPH) (wait I'm awake now, but it was a nice dream)- off it came. I am going to try doubling up the ties, but if it doesn't work, any other suggestions you have heard of? I'm glad it worked for you.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Great News, Mark!
I'm glad it worked!

I know how annoying it can be when every time you go out and reach some good speed, it goes to zero....

It plagued me as well for some time and finally the tie-wrap trick is what worked for me. Once you pull it nice and tight(with pliers, but don't break it) you're golden...It's been over a year now.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:25 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Evil,

It's got to really suck to only be able to do 99MPH in your dreams. ****, I never dream less than 140MPH.

I double wired tied both of them with the largest size that would fit properly. Each one just under the rib on the fitting for the best bite.

If you take the plastic fitting out of the drive it make s it a piece of cake to work on.

Good luck, once I start running the 36 at WOT it will probably blow off again! LOL

Mark
Old 07-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may be right, buddy.....I'm sure your pitot opening will see a lot more pressure than mine ever will!
Old 07-11-2002, 09:14 AM
Registered

Mark,

I figure if I dream below 100 it looks realistic enough that it could only be a dream. If it is above 100 (like 140) I would be worried that I need to be fitted for a restrictive white sport jacket. I also have another question about your exhaust. How do you like the sound of it? Do you still have the stock tips (with baffles) on it?

Thanks,

ET
Old 07-11-2002, 10:57 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

ET,

You've got a good sense of humor Dude.

As for the exhaust, THEY SUCK! If there is one thing that is dissapointing it is the exhaust.

It sounds pretty good, but nothing like my friends boats with 500's without the exhaust. I don't have any plans to change it yet, but down the road I may have to. The headers just don't sound the same with them. I was told by the dealer and Baja that I could not buy the boat any other way. Funy thing is I was at Fountain not long ago and none of their boats have them? I don't know what gives here.

In the 272 I had with a 502 mag and silent choice, you had to flip the switch before you started the engine to open up the exhaust. There was a noticable difference between the two.

With this boat, they stay in the open position automatically. You have to flip the switch to go throughthe hub. Funny thing is the difference in sound between the two is very minimal. I have been asked twice by people if it is working?

Take care
Mark
Old 07-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Registered

Mark,

I too had a 99 272 Boss with the 502. Great boat. I had the silent choice as well. Sounded great. I also called Baja and they told me the same thing, all New Baja's have to come with some form of Baffle system (for legal reasons). I double checked this with Jim at Corsa and he verified that this is the case. I ordered the 4 top "Y" pipes (with the electronic gates) and 4 tips (without baffles) and it comes with all the electrical components. This will make it just like my 272 silent choice. Everything for $2,100. After reading your last post I see you have the Corsa quick and quiet II (silent choice), but with baffled tips. All you would have to do is change the 4 tips (easy change too). They are around $100 a piece at Corsa. (I sound like a Corsa rep) This would give you the best of both worlds, quiet at the docks and when you get to the open water flip a switch and you have a powerful sounding boat. I saw pictures of your boat. Beautiful!
Old 07-11-2002, 05:32 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Thanks for the information ET.

Sounds good, I will definately have to check into changing them.

Mark