Starter woes >

Starter woes

Notices

Starter woes

Old 07-11-2002, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter woes

Well, my dang starter went out!!!!! I was putting in and the boat started kinda funny....kinda like a weak battery...so i pulled out and charged the battery up a bit and nothing happened. Then after several attempts it fired....so back I go to the water to put in. the boat goes dead and I find myself coasting towards the shore lined with rocks...OH BOY. SPLASH, into the water i go pulling the boat back to the dock. So i get it on the trailer and take a look....I finally figured out it was the starter. The boat only has 130 hours. It has since been replaced and working fine, has anybody else had a starter go yet? Just seems weird being fairly low hours.
Old 07-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Johnny Bravo

I have a 25 outlaw with about 100 hours and we are having starting problems. The switch energizes the fuel pump but does not energize the starter. Shake the wiring harness under the dash and the boat starts. Spent 6 hours checking every wire behind the dash and every thing seems ok. The problem is spuratic so we don't stray to far from home. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-11-2002, 06:25 PM
Allan4

You might have gotten it wet. Check to see if water at some point collected in the bilge high enough to enter the starter and rust the internals. Also, claening the bilge with water is a source. If it is not an epidemic, probably just an unlucky starter would be my guess.

Old 07-12-2002, 01:04 AM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

I used to go thru starters all the time in my 24 Sport/Outlaw. At least one a season for a while. Then I went to the high torque starter and have not had to touch it in 4 seasons (probably about 300+ hours or so). Starter/alternator guy at the shop down the street told me the more powerful motor starts the engine quicker, therefore putting less stress on the starter itself, making them last longer. Whatever, all I know is I've not touched it in anger in 4 years. Had it off several time to re-build the engine, but that's a whole different thread!!! LOL!!!!

Oh, I do keep a spare starter in the back of my truck. So if you see it parked somewhere, don't steal it, o.k.? I think it needs a bendix gear though, so good luck if you do steal it.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:47 AM
Registered

I lucked out with mine. I was just about to buy an "el cheapo" starter and luckely we found an AC delco one just in the nick of time. I was just going to throw the plain jane one on and have my other one rebuilt....the only reason I didn't is because the new AC Delco one came with a lifetime warranty so I should be set. Boy the new one sure does spin the heck out of it....great improvement.
Old 07-12-2002, 09:00 AM
Registered

I'm beginning to wonder about mine... It was around 120hrs when it began acting up, turn the switch... nothing, try turning off and on a few times and then it would fire, or just hold the switch on for a few seconds and then it would turn over?
Spent all last week on the boat, the only day I had any problem was Tuesday. I started the boat at least a dozen times a day everyday.
I'm thinking it's time to change the starter, to prevent a breakdown. But.. I've put rebuilt starters in my pickup that didn't last a year, probably shouldn't go with a rebuilt?
Old 07-12-2002, 09:06 AM
Brad Perry

Default bajadave and johnny bravo,

You might just check your dash keyswitch in the off chance it might be going bad. Mine started doing some of the things you are describing and it turned out to be the contacts in the switch.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2002, 09:20 AM
Registered

Thats the funny thing about mine, it turns over great when it works, it's just sometimes it just doesn't turn at all, like the battery switch is off.
The keyswitch contact does make sense, thanks, I'll look into it.

97Bosshammer, where did you find the AC Delco?

Will any big block Chevy starter work?
Old 07-14-2002, 04:23 PM
Registered

I got the starter from a local parts shop, I called NAPA, Advance Auto Parts and some others but they didn't have it in stock so I just happened to stop at a small local shop and they had one. I actually just put a starter that goes on a Chevy 1 ton truck in it. I had the old starter with me and I matched them up and it's the exact same starter so I'm very satisfied. It was like $159 with the lifetime warranty, (discounted) due to my brother doing business with this company quite a bit. My original plan was to get the starter rebuilt but heck, picking up a new AC Delco starter with a lifetime warranty...I said you can keep the starter so I don't have to pay a core charge. Anyways, the starter I'm using is the same exact thing that would go on a 97 Chevy 1 ton.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:34 PM
99BOSS272

Check the yellow/red striped wire that is on the starter. This is the keyswitch wire. I had the same problems and that was the culprit. The nut gets loose and loses contact with the stud on the starter. Pretty easy fix.

Last edited by 99BOSS272; 07-15-2002 at 09:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Starter woes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.