Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
Baja 232 - good wakeboard boat? >

Baja 232 - good wakeboard boat?

Notices

Baja 232 - good wakeboard boat?

Old 11-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to ski behind my Baja 212 Islander with a 7.4MPI and Bravo 1 and 23P Bravo. I had tabs on mine but you really can't plane below 20mph. The situation gets worse when you load the boat with Gas and people. It was a great boat all around but for wakeboarding I don't think it would be ideal. You can tube and ski just fine. I have a friend with a 232 Islander with a ski tower on his. Not bad to ski behind but once again it really doesn't plane below 20MPH. Once it starts to fall it falls hard and is very hard to control below 20MPH. Wakeboarding is just really hard to do behind anything other than a wakeboard boat since you need to go so slow. Forget about wakesurfing behind a Baja! That kind of watersports is really hard on the drive of a performance boat.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Registered

Ok, I'll chine in here....as a Baja owner who loves to go fast and an avid wakeboarder, i will say yes, you can do it. The boat I wakeboard behind is a wellcraft 232 with a 454 and bravo 1 drive..not quite the same, but I have worked with my buddy all summer to make it a better wake boat...here is what I know...a set of k-planes would help quite a bit. Also a good low pitch prop...4 blade is key here and I will say that a HIGH FIVE prop would be even better....but you will have to do a lot of prop testing to find the right setup...you will be dissatisfied with the wake unless you add ballast, or load the boat with a bunch of people!! You can increase the wake size by trimming up the drive until the boat starts to slow down and fall off plane, but keep adding throttle to keep the speed where you need it. Not sure why you think you need to wakeboard at 16-19 mph, but my board rides like **** at speeds below 18..we consistantly pull at 19 to 21 mph and its perfect. Make sure you like how the boat looks with a tower on it..without the tower...don't bother....I have rode behind numerous boats without a wake tower and its fun for slides and spins, but I love to jump and you just can't get enough air without the tower...one last thing....you will probably always have to drive the boat, rather than just setting the throttle and going...what I mean is constantly making throttle and trim corrections to maintain boat speed and shape of the wake....we messed with my buddys boat all summer and we had a blast, but he is looking to buy a real wakeboat and that's really the best advice...you can do it, but its either gonna be a great speed boat or a decent wakeboat....it will probably never be both....hope this helps ya!!
Old 11-02-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered

You are overthinking this. Buy a boat and dont waste another boating season talking about. I did that for the past 3 or 4 years. This summer, I stumbled upon a clean 220 Sport and bought it. Its not my dream boat, its not my last boat, but we had a blast with it and I used the sh*t out of it this summer! Make it happen!
Attached Thumbnails Baja 232 - good wakeboard boat?-dsc05724-large-.jpg