yellowed vinyl in a Baja

Notices

yellowed vinyl in a Baja

Old 12-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
Default yellowed vinyl in a Baja

I've seen a few that the seats turned yellow looking, the ones I've seen have been stored for a number of years. My question is will it come out in the sun or does it need replaced?
Old 12-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie
I've seen a few that the seats turned yellow looking, the ones I've seen have been stored for a number of years. My question is will it come out in the sun or does it need replaced?
I have seen where the sun can make a difference!! Mine seemed a lil off white when i first got it, but now I regularly let the sun bleach it back on occasion or if it looks off white to me.. not necessary seen yellow though.. would imagine , sun could help!!

Hows my 29 doing?? Was this the "yellowing" boat?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clorox cleanup worked well for me.stay away from colored stitching and embroidery though.also uses magic erasers for scuffs and nail polish and such.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nailit
Hows my 29 doing?? Was this the "yellowing" boat?
Yep, had a few more people go look at it this week, one asked me about the vinyl. My 42 had some on the headrest and it appears it went away. I'm guessing this one will be the same way.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Registered

I should hear something this week on mine.. if not....... ?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The technical term is called "migration". Baja always used vinyl with 1/4" foam applied to the backside of the vinyl for a much smoother finish and nicer stitch lines. The yellowing is the foam ageing darker yellow as foam will do, and since vinyl is porus the yellow "migrates" through the vinyl to the top surface. A regular flat vinyl over foam can do the same thing, but it always helps to have the foam covered in silk film plastic before the vinyl cover is installed. The worse thing you can do is use too strong of a cleaner and strip the stain guard off the vinyl. The sun is a great way to bleach the lighter color vinyl's like white, (especially mold stains) but if the vinyl is getting hard or cracking, it's time is up.

XT
Old 12-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
The technical term is called "migration". Baja always used vinyl with 1/4" foam applied to the backside of the vinyl for a much smoother finish and nicer stitch lines. The yellowing is the foam ageing darker yellow as foam will do, and since vinyl is porus the yellow "migrates" through the vinyl to the top surface. A regular flat vinyl over foam can do the same thing, but it always helps to have the foam covered in silk film plastic before the vinyl cover is installed. The worse thing you can do is use too strong of a cleaner and strip the stain guard off the vinyl. The sun is a great way to bleach the lighter color vinyl's like white, (especially mold stains) but if the vinyl is getting hard or cracking, it's time is up.

XT
Hmm good info! Didn't know that.. I do know from my last boat that if the vinyl is starting to get stiff, stay OFF in cold weather!! "CRACK"
Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another thing is you dont want to use a black marker on the back side of light colored vinyl to tell yourself which direction up is LOL
Old 12-17-2012, 04:31 PM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ebay Ed
another thing is you dont want to use a black marker on the back side of light colored vinyl to tell yourself which direction up is LOL
Sorry......