Stereo Amplifier >

Stereo Amplifier

Notices

Stereo Amplifier

Old 07-23-2002, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Stereo Amplifier

Hey folks! I'm new to the board, and I'm soon to be a new 232 owner. I'm doing the paperwork on a '02 Grand Prix edition. Cranberry - just like in the brochure.

I'm currently a classic Donzi owner (1973 16 Outboard that I'll be keeping), and a Donzi lover at heart, but they just don't make anything quite like the 232. In fact, nobody does. So I guess I'll be playing 2 sides of the fence for a while.

I have a question about the installation of the stereo amplifier. On the 232 it's installed under the bench seat on the floor. I'm sure they do the same thing on most other models as well. Does this worry anybody else? It seems like water would almost certainly find it's way in there and destroy the thing. I guess I'd like to know if anybody thinks it would be worth while to take the time to move it.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Registered

Received 3,259 Likes on 1,055 Posts

D.M.

I have had at least 4 different variations of systems in my boat....Music is very important to me and I may be a little fanatical about it I have had amps mounted inside the rear bench and on the outside of the rear bench near the floor....Both of these places did not work out do to heat! inside one got hot due to no air flow and engine heat and the outside one had direct sunlight on it in the right conditions it also did get a little wet but not enough to cause any probs.

I boat in Havasu alot and it gets over 100 degrees regularly....I'vd found the best place to mount my amps are under the dash....Out of the sunlight yet they get fair air flow. I'm running a PPI 600 watt amp and a PPI 250 watt amp pushing 2 12" PPI subs and 2 sets of MB quart seperates and on set of the stock clarion in the cabin as filler. System hits pretty good but be careful of the batteries dying...I recomend getting the battery isolater switch and running more than one battery. Good luck brother.

Tank
Old 07-23-2002, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tank,

Thanks for the reply. You sound serious!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but heat shouldn't be a big issue if I don't push it like you like to.

I'm mostly worried about water. I'll be boating in salt occasionally, so I worry about getting out of the water wet and dripping on the bench seat. I wonder if some of that water will find it's way into the storage area underneath where the amp is.

Thanks again!

dman
Old 07-23-2002, 09:22 PM
Registered

If you are just running the stock system there wont be any prob with heat. I run in the ocean too and I hear your point about water getting down there...I"ve never liked that location for that and the heat issue. I would just move it if it were me, then you wont have to sweat it at all. Take it to your local stereo shop and tell them to move it somewhere else....shouldn't be much $$ at all.

Tank
Old 07-23-2002, 10:43 PM
OUTLAW Drew

Tank.....
Tell me more about your system. I have a 29 Outlaw with stock set up. I would like to put a couple of 10's or 12's under the becnh seat and replace the others. What runs yours and do you use marine products or not? Give me some details if you can.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2002, 11:27 PM
Luxy60

I also have my amp mounted under the rear bench. I made a lexan cover (L shape) and mounted it over the amp to keep water (from an occassional wet bathing suit/ rain shower) from dripping directly onto the amp/ connections. I've had no issues yet with water or heat but I do boat mostly on a fresh water lake. If you are worried about taking lots of spray/ water into the cockpit your best choice is to move the amp into the cuddy. You do want to minimize the cable run to the battery as much as possble and use a heavier than standard wire gage.

Old 07-24-2002, 04:47 PM
Registered

Hey Drew....The most recent set up I have in there is 2 12" Percision power subs mounted under the bench seat, they aren't free airs and I've never personally had problems with non free air subs mounted under the bench...I had a set of JL W3's in there before, that were nice and a set of Kickers before that...all non free air, all hit nicely. However free airs would be the best choice I think. I just keep running into deals on non free air subs Anyway I have a set of MB Quartz mounted behind the bolsters and another set mounted in the stock location in front of the bolsters. Then I have just the stock clarion 6 1/4's mounted in the cabin running off the pioneer flip down deck. running the mids and highs I have a percision power 4 channel 250 watt amp. and a 600 watt 2 channel Percision power amp running the subs.

I've had 2 other systems stolen out of the boat so I've played around with alot of different makes and models...I've had fosgate, sony, and kenwood amps stolen and the subs that were listed above. I've had amps mounted EVERYWHERE on that boat...and like I said the best place I've found, where they will not get wet and stay out of direct sunlight yet get air flow over them is under the dash.

I've never used marine grade audio equipment, I don't think the quality is as good as standard car audio....and they just don't seem to make stuff with big power.

Anyway, I'm not an expert, I've just put alot of different stuff in my boat. It hits pretty good and is pretty loud...alot of people like it but it just doesn't compare to my truck 12 12" subs 22 speakers 2800 watts

Tank
Old 07-24-2002, 05:06 PM
OUTLAW Drew

Tank........You ARE a pimp, aren't you? (this is Drew89 in case you were wondering.......changed the name)

2800 watts.........NICE!

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 07-24-2002, 05:20 PM
Registered

IT AINT EASY!!!

Do let me know what you do...I'd like to hear about it.

Tank
Old 07-25-2002, 07:13 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

DM -

I have a 272 shooter w/ a clarion head unit, 2 12" clarion subs in the rear bench and 4 Alpine 6.5 two ways. I push them with 2 400 watt Clarion amps. We installed the clarion amps on the portside bulkhead, just inside the cabin door. No problem with overheating and/or air flow and the system cranks...

Quick Reply: Stereo Amplifier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.