Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Baja
98' 33 outlaw self bailing cockpit drains..  anyone else have these? >

98' 33 outlaw self bailing cockpit drains.. anyone else have these?

Notices

98' 33 outlaw self bailing cockpit drains.. anyone else have these?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Registered

Received 69 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 98' 33 outlaw self bailing cockpit drains.. anyone else have these?

Thought they might be use full till I started using boat!! The rear cocpit drain to the sides of the hull.. well they seem to bring more water in boat than out!!? Anchored in choppy water rocking back and forth and they slowly bring water in which falls into crack in floor to bilge!!

Anyone else have these?? Tried pm'ing XT but his is maxed out on pms.

Options? Block them and let water drain to bilge? Don't think I can access them, might be able to pull drain cover and?? Really needs float to stopthe water from coming back or eliminate??

Ideas? Anyone else deal with this crap poor design.. I have searched but can find any pics with other 33s with them.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had them on my scarab sport. Wellcraft stopped using them because they where having so many problems with them in the boat. Ended up re-designing them so they went straight to the bilge. My buddy and I discussed how to do a temporary fix while on the hook: put pingball drains in, use a expandable rubber boat plug on the outside while anchored. Or install valves that can be turned off and on. Never incorporated any of the designs as the boat is under construction for other issues!
Old 07-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

They are called scupper drains. There should be a jog in the hose going overboard, other wise it's free flow either way. You can plug the hole in the side of the boat and run the hose to the rear bilge if you want. I would not plug them as you want channel that water away from items and electrical under the cockpit floor.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jvthundercat
They are called scupper drains. There should be a jog in the hose going overboard, other wise it's free flow either way. You can plug the hole in the side of the boat and run the hose to the rear bilge if you want. I would not plug them as you want channel that water away from items and electrical under the cockpit floor.
The lil jog would make since b/c it doesn't drain worth a crap.. slow... I will have to try to pull drain off inside or see if I can access it to reroute...
I might be exaggerating how much water is coming in, but it was enough to run the bilge for a 1 or 2 min to pump out (on top of the water we drug in by getting in and out of boat) when we left after being at ship island for 4 hours and it was rocking back and forth the whole time.

Last edited by nailit; 07-03-2013 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Registered

I have floor drains in the cock pit as well. BUT they drain to the bildge. no over board. which I thought was pointless. But then again I never have a problem like you spoke of.

BUT the drains are not at the very back which is retarded. so the very back (right before the seat) can hold water becasue the drains are a foot before that area.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 AM
Registered

hmm.. that's crazy.. a foot in front is pointless.. it will drain thru the cracks of the floor if you turning, but just sitting there, I guess it would sit there.. Make sure your cracks are clean too.. Mine wasnt draining in cracks, so I sprayed the them with hose and a lot of fine dirt came out and started draining.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Custom Interiors & More

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The early 98' 36ol and 33ol had the overboard drains and a change was made in late 98' or 99' to drain to the bilge. The floor height on the 38 Special and 36ol is higher that the 33ol, but the 36 was also changed. I thought that Baja had a recall that paid the dealers to make the change back then to the boats that were sold?
Old 07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Registered

XT,
How were they supposed to fix them?? I don't think I can access them from the center compartment and may be a B&*^%h??

Any input would be appreciated before I tear Sh$t up.

thanks
Old 07-03-2013, 11:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by XT-Innovator
The early 98' 36ol and 33ol had the overboard drains and a change was made in late 98' or 99' to drain to the bilge. The floor height on the 38 Special and 36ol is higher that the 33ol, but the 36 was also changed. I thought that Baja had a recall that paid the dealers to make the change back then to the boats that were sold?
SO why did Baja make dains that are not in a location to drain all the water? lik ein my 342

Here is a pic of my boat. as you can see the floor drains are BEFORE the last foot or so of cockpit. SO that area can hold water, and you have to move it to the drains to get it out of that area. The whole panel with the subs, and the back wall is all one peaice and has no drain.

Last edited by mittens; 07-03-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:44 PM
Registered

that's crazy.. you would have a pool before it drained?? is there a big center portion of floor that comes out? it should drain through the cracks??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.